• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone thinking about....

'83Junglizt

Buying a brushless motor combo, buy a hobbywing 4700kv 4 pole and an SC8 ESC and a 3S lipo... i got mine today and the power is phenomenal... I reckon it pulled 50mph down my road before it melted the (already pretty sh4gged) diff...!! 

i havnt even played with the program card yet!! took nearly 2 hours to solder the wire on and a deans connector on with my s41tty soldering iron (before buying a new 60w one), just did that, calibrated it and took it out.. I think I might have to investigate having a metal diff machined for it tho! its an absolute animal!! :) 

i agree with the hobbywing stuff ive got my first brushless in the last 2 month its a losi muggy running a 150a esc and 1800kv motor combo on 4s shes lovelly bags of torque and decent top end( thats with punch set at 4 and timing on 1 ) thinking about giving her a blast on 6s she should be mental then

Interesting. I'm looking at a similar combo for a 1/10 4wd.

Had been thinking of the hobbywing sc8 coupled with a tekin 4400kv (sc401v2). Any one with experience of both care to offer an opinion?

The SC8 ESC is awesome, 120A, put a 4 pole motor on it and it'll probably annihilate your gearboxes or diffs!  

What others are their to consider that have the same build quality sort if not better..

I'm on the look out for one of these powerhouse set ups..

For 1/8 scale hobbywing I'm more then happy to go with, but I have no idea on those mamba motors and four pole business still abit fresh to me.

Any other recommended combos to consider.. I guess I'm going to be looking at 150-160A esc's and some sort of pole motor.. Want the option of 6s but doubt I'll take things that far, then again who knows :)

Castle is the only other name i can think of that ive heard no bad words about... id steer well clear of the leopard V2 combo and the turnigy trackstar combo, i hade trouble with both of them.. its pointless trying to get a better deal than a top end motor, ive learned the hard way... far easier to shell out a few extra quid and get something that you (and everyone else) know will work straight out of the box... 

Edited by '83Junglizt

Had been thinking of the hobbywing sc8 coupled with a tekin 4400kv (sc401v2). Any one with experience of both care to offer an opinion?

The SC401 is made by Tenshock and are awesome motors, they are more powerful than the Hobbywing 4pole but are very amp hungry, so need decent spec Lipos to get the best from them :)

Castle is the only other name i can think of that ive heard no bad words about...

Castle ESC's have one of the worse reputations in the whole hobby :lol:

• Like 2

The SC401 is made by Tenshock and are awesome motors, they are more powerful than the Hobbywing 4pole but are very amp hungry, so need decent spec Lipos to get the best from them :)

*gets popcorn and waits for Castle fanboys* :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Castle have the best drive profiles around, backed up by an awesome warranty! However, I've got another Monster sat here dead. It just stopped for no reason. No smoke, no flames, just stopped while in use. Gentle use.

HW are robust, but their drive profiles a little ragged. The sensored stuff is smooth enough, but a lack of reverse braking is really quite annoying. Plus, when going forwards, you only get two jabs of the brakes, a third jab will send it straight into reverse EVEN when the car is still moving forward!

And let's not forget the HW 150 Amp Pro ESC that was successfully used in my Baja! Speaks volumes.

I prefer Castle, but HW are good.

im glad i didnt fork out over a tonne for one then!! 

Castle have the best drive profiles around, backed up by an awesome warranty! However, I've got another Monster sat here dead. It just stopped for no reason. No smoke, no flames, just stopped while in use. Gentle use.

HW are robust, but their drive profiles a little ragged. The sensored stuff is smooth enough, but a lack of reverse braking is really quite annoying. Plus, when going forwards, you only get two jabs of the brakes, a third jab will send it straight into reverse EVEN when the car is still moving forward!

And let's not forget the HW 150 Amp Pro ESC that was successfully used in my Baja! Speaks volumes.

I prefer Castle, but HW are good.

I had heard good things about them, but then a hobbywing turned out to not only be about 20 quid cheaper but absolutely awesome in the truck I bought it for... 

I've been looking at getting a hobbywing set up for my slash. Where did you get yours from? Seen them on ebay but all the sellers seem to be in china and have dodgy feedback.

Yes sorry I meant the tenshock one. For running on 2s would a 5400mah 50C constant (60C burst) be sufficient?

I've been looking at getting a hobbywing set up for my slash. Where did you get yours from? Seen them on ebay but all the sellers seem to be in china and have dodgy feedback.

heres a link directly to it... UK supplier with 99.1% feedback... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301010318869?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

hope this helps Tear101!

And i have no idea about the temp range thing JBowers270.. I just got a turnigy nano-tech 35c-70c 5000mah 3S to be sure itd'd be awesome!