• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

100mph 1/14 scale, is it possible or has it already been done?

Grogg

I've been having a look at cheaper, which generally means smaller scale RCs recently, and I've come across a number that come stock designed to use and indeed equipped with 1/10 scale electronics, ESCs, motors, steering servos, and full size 3s LIPO, granted these are not the sub £100 1/14 scale ones - actually they're around £200 - £300.

This has had me wondering, if you look up 100mph TT-02s, and what is involved in getting a TT-02 to go over 100mph - Stew_Mac on YouTube and the Tamiya Club forum is a great place to start but it's surprisingly simple and can be done with 2s or 3sbatteries, if it's possible to, or if anybody has managed to get one of these rather expensive 1/14 scale RCs to go close to if not over 100 mph?

If I didn't already have so many things on the go at the moment, I'd be seriously interested in seeing just how fast you can get one of these 1/14 scale RCs that use full size 1/10 RC electrics and batteries to go.

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

I’m entering this at Rossa next year as its 1/14th 😇 😉

IMG_0720.thumb.jpeg.a046dc1c5988329a2680cbd619dd7cd9.jpeg

The girlfriend and I where in America around this time last year for me to sell a bunch of my guitars.  Anyway one of the guys who bought a bunch of guitars off of me took the girlfriend and me to see real truck racing, as in full sized truck cabs being thrashed around race tracks and drag racing, I had no idea such an animal or beast existed yet alone was quite popular - the guy who bought the guitars off of me is involved in it professionally, I have no idea what type, yet alone make of trucks where being raced, I just couldn't believe, and still find it hard to believe that people and major companies spend an absolute fortune racing trucks of all things, what's next cranes, diggers, pogo sticks, Space Hoppers?  Apparently it costs well north of USD$1 million, just to enter your truck into a single race, and that's assuming that your truck meets all regulations, safety requirements and needs no work done to it, and it easily costs double that getting a truck that has just been raced ready for the next weekends race, these are obviously not your off the shelf stock trucks, and have been very heavily suped up and modified.

Edited by Grogg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grogg said:

The girlfriend and I where in America around this time last year for me to sell a bunch of my guitars.  Anyway one of the guys who bought a bunch of guitars off of me took the girlfriend and me to see real truck racing, as in full sized truck cabs being thrashed around race tracks and drag racing, I had no idea such an animal or beast existed yet alone was quite popular - the guy who bought the guitars off of me is involved in it professionally, I have no idea what type, yet alone make of trucks where being raced, I just couldn't believe, and still find it hard to believe that people and major companies spend an absolute fortune racing trucks of all things, what's next cranes, diggers, pogo sticks, Space Hoppers?  Apparently it costs well north of USD$1 million, just to enter your truck into a single race, and that's assuming that your truck meets all regulations, safety requirements and needs no work done to it, and it easily costs double that getting a truck that has just been raced ready for the next weekends race, these are obviously not your off the shelf stock trucks, and have been very heavily suped up and modified.

My brother and his wife were at Thruxton at the weekend there watching the truck racing, they are going back in a month they enjoyed it so much

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BlackSeaRC said:

Get yourself one of these then:

Tamiya Buggyra Fat Fox (Freightliner) - TT-01E (No ESC) 58661B (modelsport.co.uk)

Perfect for a 1:14 scale speed project!

I'm hoping to attend R.O.S.S.A. next year with a TT-02 that is capable of breaking the 100mph mark.  Though due to the logistics and costs involved, it'd be extremely stupid and a waste of money for me to attend an event that will at a minimum will cost me close to a grand to attend never mind speed run a RC while I'm there, attending with just the one RC is a waste of time and money, so I've been considering getting either an Arma Limitless, Hobao Extreme VTE2 1/7 On Road Electric Roller, HoBao Hyper GTB On Road 1/8 Electric Roller Long Chassis, and try for over 150mph at the same time as I try to get my soon to be started TT-02 to break 100mph.

Edit to add:

If this was around the £150 mark instead of £300, I'd be struggling to stop myself from buying one - either the grey one, the orange standard one, or even the fancy white one, and trying for a 1/14 scale that will hit or break the 100mph mark.  In truth it's the model that got me thinking if it was possible to get a 1/14 scale to break 100mph or if anybody had already done it.  Though having a proper look at them, their wheelbase is very close to if not piratically identical to the standard 1/10 scale RC, so I don't know if I would really call them 1/14 scale of if they can or should be.

Edited by Grogg

8 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Very coo indeed!! Sorry for derailing the thread 😇

It is, the only thing that would make it cooler is if there was two fuel tanks, one each side, and perhaps hidden a bit more, a black plastic cover or something over them.