• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

m4inbrain's reasonably priced RMX 2.5

m4inbrain

1 hour ago, Bajadre said:

some great kit that brother 😎really hope you enjoy getting into drifting such a great rc experience when its comes together when you start getting your angles and flow down  makes you feel like a driving god haha 😁👍

Yeah, had that happen when i drove the fully kitted and blinged RMX 2.0 of one of the members there - does kinda get you lost in time. Felt like 2 minutes, was half an hour blasting through the guys only battery lol. Even got some reasonably good looking drifting done.

More importantly though, the people in the local drift club are very different from what i've expected - that's on me though. I thought it's all hip kids with their shiny JDM toys, lots of "bruv", "dude" and "fam" in their sentences. Turns out, 15 people there - all fat, all bearded (like me), all around my age (35+), all in some kind of trade (plumbers, builders, scaffolders etc) - proper lads. Incredibly nice people too - big part as to why i wanted to get further into it, expanding the social circle etc. Indeed the motor comes BNIB from one of the members at half RRP (who's incidentally also the inventor of something called "Clickstart", apparently a big hit with nitro-guys, basically starts any nitro via button on the remote, doesn't even need a glowstick).

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 2

And so it begins: some of the most important parts (...) arrived today.

uvlNpRa.png

I can at least now stealthily mount the body i don't have yet to the chassis that i don't have yet either. I'll solder the cap pack to the TV remote for now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, i went from having no drifter, to waiting for delivery on my new RMX 2.5, to now picking up another RMX 2.0 tomorrow as a swap for my Infraction 3s.

ron-burgundy-escalated-quickly.gif

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Next charge of "stuff" arrived. 

The shell:

ntWY2j8.png

Not perfect, as one can see at the front wheel well, the bumper doesn't sit 100% right (protrudes a little bit) - but very happy for £36, looks way better than anything i could whip up on the cheap/quick. First Killerbody, not disappointed. 

Next, the world tiniest ESC. 

Fwf0CjW.png

And i'm not joking. This is the ESC next to a standard sized servo. 

LQpFiGJ.png?1

That's a sensored ESC, missing the fan but the fan is even dinkier. It's absolutely miniscule, and i'm a bit concerned about it lol - never seen such a tiny ESC, already concerned about the power draw lol.

I also picked up a used RMX 2.0 that i can't run because there's an issue with my battery, as you can see here:

q1l4zlk.png

Yeah. Forgot to order one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Small test fit. 

The body height isn't final, it already changed since the photos - it sits lower now than on the picture, probably 5mm from wheel to wheel arch. Built the stealth mount on the RMX 2.0, for one reason:

z5fSrfq.png

BS6LzJV.png

Checking wheels 😄

Got a small assortment with the used RMX 2.0, these and a black chrome set. The shell is missing a few pieces (mirror etc) - not mounted yet. 

Looking at this, i'll probably go with the golden bois, though have to switch tyres between them. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

coming together, the killerbodies touring shells are very nice, that Alfa shell i have is sweet, so detailed and surprisingly strong, will be sorry to see it go but it has to

Yeah, surprisingly decent considering the price. And yes, the material is pretty thick, i've seen far flimsier bodies for more money. Pretty happy with that.

The parcel from the netherlands (the RMX 2.5, servo and gyro) got slapped with import duty (expected), so now i gotta wait for that stupid letter instead of just letting me know online so i can pay straight away. Grmbl.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Yeh and its Easter weekend so earliest youl get ransom demand is Tuesday 😞

Yeah. 😞

Ah well.. Gives me time to shop around for a light kit, whip up something 3d printer-y for a fan mount etc. If i could be bothered, i'd drive 60 miles to the LHS and pick up a battery to run the RMX 2.0 a bit outside (that's the idea - the 2.5 is going to be the nice, carpet one - the 2.0 will be the asphalt one, rough). 

I can't, though. 

I just don't understand why they can't send me a bloody email, they got my email address (got an account), so why not just do it that way. I can immediately pay the dues and get my stuff on tuesday, rather than MAYBE getting a letter on tuesday annoying the living daylight out of me for the £12 extra charge. 

4qeom4.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lone-wolf said:

what battery you after?

Some kind of 5000mah ish 2s shorty hardpack, around 100C. They're not expensive, just a faff to figure out whether or not they come with a harness etc. 

3 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

yeh why they cant email it beats me as well but when you get it you can pay online makes no sense  :insane:

Indeed. 

Ah well. Technically there's no rush, it's just me being impatient and wanting everything yesterday lol. 

• Haha 1

Technically it'd run the RC (if it's a shorty), but it's a bit on the small side - i don't trust those C ratings (for any of the shorties), so higher capacity gives me some piece of mind in regards to the discharge capability.

Further, at 3500mah, i'd likely need multiple ones to get through a meet, my hope is that a 5000-6000mah shorty gets me through the entire evening. 

Why are you asking? 🙂

4 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

got a spare one if it would help you out.

Ah mate, cheers, but don't worry. I've got till the 28th, by then the rig needs to be complete-ish, so within 3 weeks i'll certainly be able to get something sorted. Weather doesn't really allow for the RMX anyway (floor's damp, the electrics aren't weatherproof and it's stupid low). I've got an eye on a 5800mah 120C pack, could have it wednesday if i'd so desire (modelsport) - but as mentioned.. There's no rush, family stuff over the weekend anyway etc.

I do very much appreciate the offer though, thanks.

• Like 1

I have a 5000 2s deans shortie 100-120C with pull out wires, kinda thinking could loan it ya but pain posting i got it from banggood and it was only about £19 you may be able to get on in time as they seem pretty quick on shipping  might not arrive in time https://uk.banggood.com/ZOP-Power-7_4V-5000mAh-120C-2S-Lipo-Battery-T-Deans-Plug-Hard-Case-for-RC-Car-p-1759249.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=search

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

I have a 5000 2s deans shortie 100-120C with pull out wires, kinda thinking could loan it ya but pain posting i got it from banggood and it was only about £19 you may be able to get on in time as they seem pretty quick on shipping  might not arrive in time https://uk.banggood.com/ZOP-Power-7_4V-5000mAh-120C-2S-Lipo-Battery-T-Deans-Plug-Hard-Case-for-RC-Car-p-1759249.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=search

Cheers mate, that's actually kind of interesting. Have you charged it from 0 to 100 or something - what real capacity do they have? The price certainly is appealing. As mentioned to froggy, i'm not in a hurry, so cheers - but no need to get one immediately (especially as a loaner considering the added premium in price for posting LiPos that aren't connected to "a device"). Again, appreciate the offer though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

not charged 1-100 but i would say it is a 5000mah, takes about right amount of time to charge if that makes sense, not saying its brilliant but it seems to do the job well for the price

All i need for now - ordered two, i'll probably buy one by modelsport/wheelspin as well to make sure i'll have one by the next meeting. 

• Like 1

On 06/04/2023 at 17:13, m4inbrain said:

Next, the world tiniest ESC. 

Fwf0CjW.png

And i'm not joking. This is the ESC next to a standard sized servo. 

LQpFiGJ.png?1

That's a sensored ESC, missing the fan but the fan is even dinkier. It's absolutely miniscule, and i'm a bit concerned about it lol - never seen such a tiny ESC, already concerned about the power draw lol.

I run one of these in my touring car with 17.5t, awesome esc and the size makes it so easy to wire in!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ReggieC said:

I run one of these in my touring car with 17.5t, awesome esc and the size makes it so easy to wire in!

Yeah, wiring/positioning is certinly not going to be an issue with these. 😄

Still haven't made my mind up whether or not to replace the factory capacitor.