• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and shareย all things R/C!

Suggestions please ?

Tom1208

Hi there, went out with my son today and done a bit of rc bashing.

he had a bit of an incident with his severe impact, sorry dark impact ๐Ÿ’ฅ

he hit a kerb, not majorly hard and it snapped in two.

i am getting fed up fixing this thing.

Every time we go out it breaks. Never get a full battery out it.

my question is...

whats a good cheap off road buggy / truggy / monster truck for him ?

thanks for any advice ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

92A6E636-54F8-44AA-B4C7-0A2268C56C0D.jpeg

• Sad 1

If your fed up fixing stuff, id personally avoid cheap bashers. That being said the ftx arnt the worst but you will still have failures and breakages. Even on a 300+ basher things will break albeit probably less often.
Eg hpi savage xs vs ftx outlaw, savage still hasnt broken a thing and the outlaws been through enought spares to build a 2nd truck.
The savage has been sent 10meters in the air and landed on its face, bent a hinge pin. Outlaw had a slight tumble resulting in broken chassis, lower arm, link.
A bit more wheel time and coaching will result in less breakages, but overall you pay for what you get with the hobby ive found.
Traxxas is pretty bullet proof basher, arrma senton, hobao hyper 7 all pretty hardy, not indestructible but close.

ย 

• Like 1

Thanks very much lads ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Your probably right about saving up and getting a better one.

i thought the tamiya df03 would be robust but nope. ย Soft as cheese !!!

i do like the triton though. Rear wheel drive fun ๐Ÿค”

i will speak to the wee man and see what he thinks ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

I'd say save up a bit more and try and find something second hand. Will get way more bang for your buck that way.

So my maverick quantum flux Mt will brake something every time I use it. Sometimes even just under Its own power. I have given up using it for now. My x-maxx takes a monster amount of abuse. Gets sent off massive jumps. Has crashed at full speed and so far. I haven't managed to break anything in it. My old losi 8ight took massive abuse too. Only managed to break anything after a diff failed at 100mph and it started to flip and roll its way across the field.ย 

Speed a bit more and get a car that will take a bashingย 

Maybe the lower level arrma stuff. Or the one mentioned above. A traxxas revo could be good.ย 

Stuff like the ftx and my maverick will not take so much to break. Unfortunately it's the way.

So I'd say save up a bit more and look at the second hand marketย 

• Thanks 1

I have a short term cheaper option for you, somewhat tongue in cheek but... with element of truth.

ย 

1. Fix the buggy.

2. find somewhere to bash that is nowhere near kerbs.

ย 

kerbs kill cars.

at the scale it is like driving a 1:1 car into a 2 metre high concrete wall.ย 

physics wins.

ย 

and there is subtlety here in the stories above - that tamiya is transferring that impact direct into the chassis. does not look like there is any bumper at the front at all. But a savage landing on its nose is landing on a flexible rubber bumper, a model kartwheeling over a field is... losing energy to soft ground not a brick wall.

ย 

for best bang for buck?ย  2nd hand 8th scale brushless buggy. or one of the bouncy monster truck or short course with bumpers front and rear.ย 

or see if tbones are available for tamiya ??? dont know if they are

ย 

ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers lads ๐Ÿ‘

good advice.

I will give the ftx and maverick a miss then.

i agree second hand would be better value for money. ย I will check out some tracxas and losi stuff ๐Ÿ‘

lol, yeah I suppose your right about the wall bit. The wee manโ€™s actually quite good with his car. To be fair to him he didnโ€™t even hit it hard. We canโ€™t even get a battery out it and something breaks. The look in his wee face when that happens kills me. Time to throw my childhood nostalgia for tamiya aside and get him something better.

Cheers lads, appreciate all the advice and time to reply ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

If you decide to part ways with the dark impact, Iโ€™d be interested in it mate.ย :good:

ย 

as for a cheap basher, well might be a bit over budget but have you thought of something like a second hand 2wd Traxxas, slash, stampede, bandit or rustler?

ย 

I say this as they are massively more robust than the Tamiya and if stuff does break, the aftermarket back up is definitely on a par with Tamiya if not greater.

ย 

Iโ€™ve seen a couple of half decent Rustlers go reasonably cheap, Iโ€™ve no use for one otherwise itโ€™d probably found its way to my shelves by nowโ€ฆ..ย :rofl:

ย 

big tyres also help absorb some of the โ€œimpactโ€ like a secondary shock absorber.

ย 

hope that helps a bit mate.ย :good:

• Thanks 1

Thanks gaz ๐Ÿ‘

I had never really thought of traxxas stuff but a lot of people really rate them.ย 
they seem to be tough.ย 
defo look in to them ๐Ÿ‘

do you know I might sell you it gaz.ย 
i ordered a new chassis yesterday to keep the wee fella going. It was only ยฃ9.00.

so it will be fully operational. Thereโ€™s a shed load of spares and alloy upgrades in the box also.ย 
i would like to hang on to the electrics tho as we might need them for the next car he likes.ย 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom1208 said:

Cheap as possible, could Strech to about ยฃ100. ย ( still recovering from Christmas ).

Searching ebay but not sure whats decent.

Personally, your Dark Impact is better than anything your gonna get for ยฃ100?

ย 

Maybe just upgrade the Dark Impact?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hell horn. said:

I'd keep the car as back up.ย  Get him a a 2wd traxxas. So if that's not unusable. then he has this one as back upย 

Thatโ€™s a good point mate ๐Ÿค”

I do yes. A Custom one I had made.ย  This one.ย 

I follow norse paganism. So have a few items to do with that.ย 

The axe us full steel hand made.ย  Stands about 3.5foot ish. Is sharp. And kept hidden away. Its the smaller hand axe I have you should be worried about.ย 

Screenshot_20211231_222027_com.android.chrome_edit_217356901851729.jpg

• Like 3