• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Heavy Dump Truck Build

PraetoR

So, today I was in Tay Models, getting electrics for the Dump Truck.

And I was DUMBFOUNDED when a young couple walked in, with this:

20210602_131751.thumb.jpg.0738afd5e5c85ca048f11491b30ee11f.jpg

HANG ON!! That's my old Pro-MT!! Where'd you get that?? :insane:

20160518_183548.thumb.jpg.0bf3ce8b5c9ac72efcef737120d14f8d.jpg

20190209_165119.thumb.jpg.385890cfcc8dde0fcc019785735d9cec.jpg

20190219_114910.thumb.jpg.9b0ea1417d02cf6c44d4a055f3df53d1.jpg

Turns out, it has changed hands more than once! Anyway, it was nice to see it again and still getting bashed hard. :good:

Small world!

Right! Back to the build...

Rear arms, hubs and driveshafts done.

20210602_215353.thumb.jpg.2610be30eb3ee50b6a681fa50544e8a4.jpg

This is a seriously small chassis! I'm really surprised as to just how tiny it is!

20210602_215420.thumb.jpg.b23f2c8377e8874aa9b8fb22f95a8121.jpg

Picked up an Etronix Pulse 4ch radio system. Obviously, I don't need four channels, but it was only a fiver more than the standard 2ch system, of which I already have several.

HOWEVER, there was a bit of a problem! More on that, shortly...

Also got this lovely Savox servo. At 10.5kg, it's overkill for this truck, but I wanted a subtle servo, that would blend-in with the aesthetic of this truck, because it sits on the outside of the chassis.

This black servo, with yellow/gold sticker will suit the truck, perfectly.

20210602_220506.thumb.jpg.0692d0ebd633ead811bc426e564f2f75.jpg

The SMD sensorless brushless system seems really nice. Although, the large fan makes a racket! The quality of finish -especially on the motor- is better than every other budget-orientated brushless system I've bought.

20210602_220537.thumb.jpg.39f0459f5b15f93c62e859e7c04b8951.jpg

Next was supposed to be a photograph of the electronics connected and powered, so I could centre the servo, prior to install. Unfortunately, this hasn't happened.

While in Tay Models, the radio system box was empty, in the glass cabinet. The transmitter was sitting in-front of the box, on display, as it was the last one and that looks better than simply displaying a box. Close to the transmitter, also on display, was a receiver. I opened the cabinet (I have free reign) and put the transmitter and receiver into the radio system box. It made sense: Etronix Pulse box was empty, the Etronix Pulse Transmitter was in-front and an Etronix Pulse receiver was next to the transmitter. The only other radio systems in there, were the 2ch systems. Stock has been very low, as the supplier have been struggling to obtain and deliver anything.

Got home, connected the electrics, turned-on aaaaaand nothing happened! The radio system was not bound and will. not. bind.

Turns out, I certainly pick up AN Etronix Pulse receiver, just not THE Etronix Pulse receiver!

It also turns out that some other poor sod had come in and bought a DIFFERENT radio system, but with MY receiver! And I've walked out with HIS one!

Must have had both systems out of their respective boxes and on display. It's annoying, because these two similar systems are not cross-compatible and I live more than an hour's drive from Tay Models!

So, the build is on hold.

dragon ball z GIF

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

yeah...I'd say the brushed motor is a wise move.

It can;t take hte throttle without lifting the front all the time, and if you tamed it by gearing up, it was nose diving under braking and digging the bumper in.

I think it will be more fun running a bit more sedately....as the chassis design just isn;t ever going to handle anything more.

It will still be bonkers...because...well, it IS bonkers 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the input, Nitroholic.

I'll definitely be fitting the brushed system. I actually managed to rob some of the fun out of it, just by going with too much power. It was pretty-much undriveable!

It's running a 20t pinion, which is the larger option, but I think I'll keep it, just to try and tame it, a little.

Cheers.

wow i want one, i thought my lunch box wheelied, that truck is on another level of daftness 😄

i do have a spare brushless system kicking around, should i try it on my lunch box? running lunchey on its second stock 27 turn motor and 2s turns out tamiya stock motors dont like massive puddles lol

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

OMG it does like to wheely but does look lotta fun :rofl:

It needs to wheelie less! Brushed is the way to go. :lol:

12 hours ago, Yrkoon said:

wow i want one, i thought my lunch box wheelied, that truck is on another level of daftness 😄

i do have a spare brushless system kicking around, should i try it on my lunch box? running lunchey on its second stock 27 turn motor and 2s turns out tamiya stock motors dont like massive puddles lol

I'm going to do a Lunch Box Vs Dump Truck wheelie test and see who comes out on top.

You could try it. I don't think it'll help the handling!

11 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Title of thread needs changing to:

Tamiya Top Heavy Dump Truck Build

👍😂🤣👍😂🤣🤣

It definitely is top heavy!

• Like 2

it is top heavy, I have weighted the body some time ago, and if i remember it was about 380 grams, mine I ran only on very loose sand it was undriveble on grass with the castle 5700kv motor in it and still on sand I had to be gentle with the trigger.

Did not want to put a brushed motor in it because for me it was then to slow and boring.

Edited by No brains
  • Like 1