• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

nice idea, been pondering getting a drag car for speed running also, i think it might be intresting to do a 2wd build, go with a slash and convert it or go staight for a rtr like a dr10? for the same cost.
any one had luck pushing a 1/10 drag car past 60mph, is it a limit by design as they are made to launch and not for top end speed?
@Jack Reacher when you speed running the blackfoot? haha

Edited by Redback
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Redback said:

nice idea, been pondering getting a drag car for speed running also, i think it might be intresting to do a 2wd build, go with a slash and convert it or go staight for a rtr like a dr10? for the same cost.
any one had luck pushing a 1/10 drag car past 60mph, is it a limit by design as they are made to launch and not for top end speed?
@Jack Reacher when you speed running the blackfoot? haha

already done the blackfoot......slow and slow lol, to slow for gps to get a reading ha ha

i think the slash 2wd could be a good project, and i have wondered that rwd would give more room for electrics

Edited by Jack Reacher

@Jack Reacher Nice one Jack 👍 I'm getting really interested in all this speed running business after seeing all of your guys projects.

My 144001 is not in great shape anymore, need to do a rebuild on it. So i'm thinking while i'm at it I might buy a brushless combo to stick it in it and just give this speedrunning thing a go ☺️

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, James.S said:

@Jack Reacher Nice one Jack 👍 I'm getting really interested in all this speed running business after seeing all of your guys projects.

My 144001 is not in great shape anymore, need to do a rebuild on it. So i'm thinking while i'm at it I might buy a brushless combo to stick it in it and just give this speedrunning thing a go ☺️

good project,  they can be pretty quick

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

good project,  they can be pretty quick

I'm thinking something like this:

457921701_wl144001brushlessstetup.png.5c665a5d5e310b8f4e2bc4e887680e8f.png

Banggood Link

As it's my first try at this i'd rather keep things on the cheaper side. I've seen a few Youtubers running setups like this in their WL models and it looks like they go pretty well. & suprisingly the standard spur/pinion and diff gear on the 144001's seem to hold up alright as well, even on 3s.  So i'm thinking as long as I don't go for some crazy high KV motor then I shouldn't have to upgrade any of the gearing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, James.S said:

I'm thinking something like this:

457921701_wl144001brushlessstetup.png.5c665a5d5e310b8f4e2bc4e887680e8f.png

Banggood Link

As it's my first try at this i'd rather keep things on the cheaper side. I've seen a few Youtubers running setups like this in their WL models and it looks like they go pretty well. & suprisingly the standard spur/pinion and diff gear on the 144001's seem to hold up alright as well, even on 3s.  So i'm thinking as long as I don't go for some crazy high KV motor then I shouldn't have to upgrade any of the gearing.

should work fine, but you will also need a new radio, go for DumboRC x6G really good and has long range plus end points, cracking bit of kit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

should work fine, but you will also need a new radio, go for DumboRC x6G really good and has long range plus end points, cracking bit of kit

Yeah that's exactly what I was going to go for anyway. I have that exact same transmitter for my 1/8th ZD truggy and it works brilliantly 👍

• Like 1

I really like SkyRC Toro X8 motors. 2150kv would be ideal for short passes on 6s, or even the 2350kv with adequate time to cool between passes. They're cheap and some of the most reliable motors I've come across. Currently running one in my Savage 🙂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Been thinking, i still really want the hoboa GT, so next month i might bit thebullet and just order the roller, at least i can be spraying the shell and stuff while i sort electrics

Good choice I reckon 👍 I’ve gone with a VS buggy 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Can anyone recommend a motor for the Hobao that can run 6s maybe even future proofed for 8s that won't cost a small fortune?

Can't go far wrong with these, heard people call them the "budget Neu motors" before. Nice long can and good KV choice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSS-4082-1600KV-2000KV-2200KV-2600KV-High-speed-Brushless-Motor-For-RC-Boat-/224177306592

• Like 1

Bit late to the party on this one.

@Jack Reacher a great idea to consolidate all the speed run chat.

So my current project is the budget Tamiya DT03. Struggling to break 64mph. 

What are you guys experiences with rwd and diffs? Locked, open? Thin or thick oil. DT03 won't hold fluid for long as it leaks out. Super heavy oil or blu tak to lock up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Derka said:

What are you guys experiences with rwd and diffs? Locked, open? Thin or thick oil. DT03 won't hold fluid for long as it leaks out. Super heavy oil or blu tak to lock up?

I would say locked diff, you are just trying for straight line maybe blue tack

9 minutes ago, Derka said:

100% open, running a locked diff with a rwd buggy is a nightmare. Can get away with locking the diff sometimes if running a rwd touring car or dragster, but with buggy always go open.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Been thinking, i still really want the hoboa GT, so next month i might bit thebullet and just order the roller, at least i can be spraying the shell and stuff while i sort electrics

you might actually get that faster easier than some of the 1/10 scale cars and have more room for your kit and caboodle as well :good:

• Like 1

Tyre question

On the vantage i have the fastrax Arrow 2.2 road tyres, i like them and they seem real grippy, but on 3s they balloon a lot, i wonder if and when i go 4s on it will they handle the extra speed or blow out/shred ? are there any road tyres in 2.2 that would be better choice, i do have the originals so could remove the stock buggy tyres to fit new rubber if needed

9 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Tyre question

On the vantage i have the fastrax Arrow 2.2 road tyres, i like them and they seem real grippy, but on 3s they balloon a lot, i wonder if and when i go 4s on it will they handle the extra speed or blow out/shred ? are there any road tyres in 2.2 that would be better choice, i do have the originals so could remove the stock buggy tyres to fit new rubber if needed

I’d go with 17mm hex’s with some belted GT wheels/tyres, come in handy for when you get the Hobao I’ve heard the stock tyres balloon 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorrylemming said:

Where do you guys do your speed runs generally? After seeing everyone else having a go I strapped a 4S pack in my rustler and geared up a little. 

Managed 35mph on the back street but it's going to need a lot more room to hit full throttle. 

Also needs some GRP tyres and something to limit the wheelies. 

IMG_20210317_202519.jpg

Thats going to fly, I'm very much considering a 2wd to finish out the speedrunners for Rossa.
It is illegal to drive on public roads, with that in mind i do not endorse driving on public roads.
You might find some nice clear parking lots, around industrial estates, get lucky with a local airfield or gocart track.
Otherwise aim for wide space not narrow roads, with no cat eyes and 2 lane width at minimum, assess the location during different times for the quietest time to go, also check the entire pass for dips, seams, pot holes etc you don't want anything causing the car to pop up, even a the smallest crack in the road can cause a serious crash.
If you can find some freshly layed tarmac (like i did for my 80mph pass) your in speedrun heaven!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Redback said:

Thats going to fly, I'm very much considering a 2wd to finish out the speedrunners for Rossa.
It is illegal to drive on public roads, with that in mind i do not endorse driving on public roads.
You might find some nice clear parking lots, around industrial estates, get lucky with a local airfield or gocart track.
Otherwise aim for wide space not narrow roads, with no cat eyes and 2 lane width at minimum, assess the location during different times for the quietest time to go, also check the entire pass for dips, seams, pot holes etc you don't want anything causing the car to pop up, even a the smallest crack in the road can cause a serious crash.
If you can find some freshly layed tarmac (like i did for my 80mph pass) your in speedrun heaven!

Pieman’s Rustler is tempting 

• Like 3