• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Budget Speed Run Project

everclear1984

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

good luck with the project, hope you get better results with it

I think the issue you were having is that the grub screw securing the rear centre drive cup had backed out, making it 2wd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

I think we should really start a thread dedicated to our budget versions of speed runners.

If I don't count the bodyshells and mounts I've smashed, my DT-02 is fairly budget friendly, sub £200 anyway I think.

I agree. I've enjoyed following along with your progress so far. Seems like it still has a lot more to give!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, everclear1984 said:

I agree. I've enjoyed following along with your progress so far. Seems like it still has a lot more to give!

It seems to have gathered a little following and two people have bought Tamiyas to make into speed cars because of it, which is really awesome.

A good sense of community back in the hobby.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

It seems to have gathered a little following and two people have bought Tamiyas to make into speed cars because of it, which is really awesome.

A good sense of community back in the hobby.

Definitely, and you don't need a huge budget either. I bought my DT03 used, second hand motor and a £40 Hobbywing ESC.

We should have a section and official MSUK Top speed runners top 20 type thing that's regularly updated. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Derka said:

Definitely, and you don't need a huge budget either. I bought my DT03 used, second hand motor and a £40 Hobbywing ESC.

We should have a section and official MSUK Top speed runners top 20 type thing that's regularly updated. 

That would be excellent.

It sort of reminds me of when I believe it was Bez who started a £100 budget speed runners thread.

That's back when everyone was attending ROSSA though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Derka said:

Good idea. Maybe a separate thread for budget friendly and no expense spared  100mph+ machines 👍

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

That would be excellent.

It sort of reminds me of when I believe it was Bez who started a £100 budget speed runners thread.

That's back when everyone was attending ROSSA though.

It's a shame it's in North Wales and not more central. I know someone will always have to travel but no doubt the Midlands would offer a more central location to many and could potentially see an increase in numbers. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pieman5 said:

ROSSA used to use the runoff area at Shakespeare dragstrip at Stratford Upon Avon, this was much more central, but it was only around 300m long and pretty rough in the braking area. 

Unfortunately the land got sold in around 2015 to build houses on, so we managed to move to the Snowdonia aerodrome in Llanbedr instead.

Good thing is the new location is spot on perfect. I'm pretty confident we wouldn't be able to find anywhere as perfect in the midlands at the price they charge us with a runway as long and as smooth/well maintained. 

It is a long drive for most people and sadly that is prone to put people off, but it is 100% worth a visit. 

We have 2 events planned so far this year, a 3 day event in June and a 2 day event in August. 

Starting to see a decent amount of people on here getting into budget or general speed running which is great to see 😄 Anyone and everyone are welcome at ROSSA events, even just as a visitor/spectator, so  be great to hopefully see some new faces 👍

Would be cool to come along, but it's a bit too far for me.

The weather has been better today and I managed to stretch the Strada's legs a bit. I found the PERFECT spot for speed runs, but I'll need to get there early in the morning as it gets busy very quickly. I made do with a quiet industrial estate today and managed to reach my target of 50mph. Next target, 60mph

🙂

• Like 3

Cracking run, great results looks like an awesome place to do some drag races! 😉

On 13/03/2021 at 19:44, pieman5 said:

ROSSA used to use the runoff area at Shakespeare dragstrip at Stratford Upon Avon, this was much more central, but it was only around 300m long and pretty rough in the braking area. 

Unfortunately the land got sold in around 2015 to build houses on, so we managed to move to the Snowdonia aerodrome in Llanbedr instead.

Good thing is the new location is spot on perfect. I'm pretty confident we wouldn't be able to find anywhere as perfect in the midlands at the price they charge us with a runway as long and as smooth/well maintained. 

It is a long drive for most people and sadly that is prone to put people off, but it is 100% worth a visit. 

We have 2 events planned so far this year, a 3 day event in June and a 2 day event in August. 

Starting to see a decent amount of people on here getting into budget or general speed running which is great to see 😄 Anyone and everyone are welcome at ROSSA events, even just as a visitor/spectator, so  be great to hopefully see some new faces 👍

Damm just before i moved to warwickshire, I'm signed up for ROSSA in June cant wait, hope a few msuk people will be there too!

Edited by Redback
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Redback said:

Cracking run, great results looks like an awesome place to do some drag races! 😉

It sure would!

On closer inspection it turns out the noise you can hear is a wonky centre dogbone. New part ordered and will be fitted before the next run 🙂

4 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

It sure would!

On closer inspection it turns out the noise you can hear is a wonky centre dogbone. New part ordered and will be fitted before the next run 🙂

Sounded like mine when the drive shaft bent, is it the dog bone or is it the slipper shaft that bent like on mine?

11 minutes ago, Redback said:

Sounded like mine when the drive shaft bent, is it the dog bone or is it the slipper shaft that bent like on mine?

Definitely the dogbone, though I'm not sure what you mean by the slipper shaft? I'll be pulling it apart over the next days anyway, just to check for any more hidden damage and maybe lock the diffs while I'm at it.

33 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Definitely the dogbone, though I'm not sure what you mean by the slipper shaft? I'll be pulling it apart over the next days anyway, just to check for any more hidden damage and maybe lock the diffs while I'm at it.

The dogbone connects to cups front goes into the diff, rear one goes to a shaft that holds the spur gear, on the fxt the spur gear shaft is so long it bends making the dogbone appear to wobble when its the drive shaft getting bent from the dogbone.
Wonder how the dog bone bent its pretty thick aluminum, is it hollow or solid shaft?

3 minutes ago, Redback said:

The dogbone connects to cups front goes into the diff, rear one goes to a shaft that holds the spur gear, on the fxt the spur gear shaft is so long it bends making the dogbone appear to wobble when its the drive shaft getting bent from the dogbone.
Wonder how the dog bone bent its pretty thick aluminum, is it hollow or solid shaft?

Thanks, I'll check the spur gear shaft when I pull it apart 👍 The previous owner mentioned hitting a curb and I've rolled it myself. I can also see a groove worn in the shaft, maybe from a stone getting jammed in there so it could just be that throwing it out of balance at high RPM.

• 2 weeks later...

Part and parcel of the hobby @everclear1984 no matter how you run. 

We had a similar problem with wind at ROSSA in August 2019 I think it was, ...the wind was pushing any cars with GT style bodyshells around so much. Most of us just stuck to running buggies as anything else was getting pushed around a lot. Still great fun though. 

See you have scrim tape on your shell already so I'd just go over it all again reinforcing the damaged areas further. Best of luck. :good: