• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Good chassis for rallying with?

Oh How Original

Had a TT-02 I wanted to use as a rally car, but even with longer suspension and some of the tricks like reversing the arms, it still wasn't tall enough for what I wanted so I gave up on the idea.

But I am still interested in having a nice rally car to use.

What's a good place to start for something with decent clearance?

7 hours ago, Derka said:

Tamiya XV-01.

If that doesn't do it for you, you'll probably need to look at 4wd short course truck as a base.

Do you happen to know of any good SCT options with the same wheelbase and track width as a typical rally car?

Just thinking for wheel/tyre options and also shell options.

Finding body shells is the hardest bit especially for home brew odd sized chassis’s.Your best bet Dan for decent ground clearance, durability and body options is to go with a 1/ 8 buggy and fashion some sort of bumper with foam to pack the space out.
Im half tempted to pick up one of the Hobao rollers, keep the buggy body as a crap guard and order a rally body.

ive seen a few shells on eBay but they’re from Italy 

This guy has a few https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0109-CARROZZERIA-BODY-SCALA-1-8-LANCIA-HF-INTEGRALE-MARTINI-RACING-ALETTONE/202983231663?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130048%26meid%3D7ba3aa1c7df84343880db3e2a69c178f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D264839493871%26itm%3D202983231663%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Gotta be honest I'm not a fan of the look of that Scooby, it looks well out of proportion and very 'fat'

I did wonder about the WR8 Flux though, or is that just a good looking turd?

Never owned one but only ever heard good things about it .......except the price 🤯

• Like 1

Tamiya xv01 seems to be good rally purpose chassis just not sure how much better over yours modified tt02.

I love how capable 1/8 buggy is but all bodies are cartoon like out of proportion  (just ugly imho).

Now I'm biased with wr8 as I own few but I love how scale it looks  (when stationery or run in anger ) really tough and capable chassis( it takes everything I throw at it exempt tall grass)

I agree with Tomr it's bit pricey  ( I think Ken block licensed body  cost fortune )

Still used wr8 and xv01  costs are similar. 

Watch some you tube videos and see what you like 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just bumping this up.... 

I've often thought about building a rally car. I'm honestly not sure how much I would use it mind and that has always held me back a bit...

But I think if I did I would want to build it from an 1/8 scale chassis just for the beef. But I wonder if a truggy type or a buggy type would be more suitable? I guess it will come down to suspension travel and then as folks have listed; finding a decent 1/8th body...

Hmmmm... 

Edited by stimpy

On 15/03/2021 at 18:45, stimpy said:

Just bumping this up.... 

I've often thought about building a rally car. I'm honestly not sure how much I would use it mind and that has always held me back a bit...

But I think if I did I would want to build it from an 1/8 scale chassis just for the beef. But I wonder if an oct type or a buggy type would be more suitable? I guess it will come down to suspension travel and then as folks have listed; finding a decent 1/8th body...

Hmmmm... 

I think some of the shells look better than others. The 'longer' an original car is the more cartoon they look. That's why I went with a Pug 205. It looks much less cartoon I think than the scoobys etc

• Thanks 1

I had a XV01 great car, WR8 great car, but clearance was always a problem, so i changed a Hobao VS buggy to a rally car, i just put a VTE front bumper on and changed rear shock tower to get posts for rear. Bought a shell from Delta Plastiks

Arrma Typhoon is another popular option

Edited by Logie
  • Like 1

On 15/03/2021 at 18:45, stimpy said:

Just bumping this up.... 

But I think if I did I would want to build it from an 1/8 scale chassis just for the beef. But I wonder if a truggy type or a buggy type would be more suitable? I guess it will come down to suspension travel and then as folks have listed; finding a decent 1/8th body...

Hmmmm... 

The 1/8th Hobao Hyper GT can be used as a rally car, looks lovely and as it comes as a roller good to add own electrics

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stimpy said:

Cool, so it sounds like 1/8th buggy would be best if I do approach this idea 👍

Thanks all..

The Hobao Hyper 7 PBS buggy found its way underneath that Subaru shell, odd looking shell as it was proportioned for 1/8 rallycross buggies, but to be fair it did look great going around the track. As for the buggy itself, it was its usual reliable performance on the off-road track, wheels never ground out within the arches of the shell which was a bonus too. I then ended up switching to a DHK Hunter SCT chassis under the scooby shell for a while as we were indoors more often than not when racing. 

As Jack R' says above, the Hobao Hyper GT is terrific car, very solid and stable, there's a few at our club. Would need work doing on it though for it be used off-road as ground clearance isn't great. 

• Like 2

The Hyper 7's are great buggies. I converted mine to brushless from Nitro, wayyyy better. Its spec is:  centre spider diff, 4068 2650kv Toro motor, Toro 150A esc, TowerPro 20kg servo with a UBEC, and 4S up its backside! Consequently - it shifts..  😎

• Like 1

8 hours ago, t2boats said:

The Hyper 7's are great buggies. I converted mine to brushless from Nitro, wayyyy better. Its spec is:  centre spider diff, 4068 2650kv Toro motor, Toro 150A esc, TowerPro 20kg servo with a UBEC, and 4S up its backside! Consequently - it shifts..  😎

4S will be spicy on a 2650 👍

It certainly is! I've geared it fairly low for the off-road track (19t pinion) - and it notched up 49mph according to the GPS along the back straight of the track 😵  it's brutal. It's the short amount of time it takes to get there which impresses me. I've always been a fan of rallycross buggies, their weight and stance is superb for traction. 

• 9 months later...
On 23/03/2021 at 17:02, Stooza said:

I think some of the shells look better than others. The 'longer' an original car is the more cartoon they look. That's why I went with a Pug 205. It looks much less cartoon I think than the scoobys etc

I also love these cars, which reminds me of  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbXIj2T-_uk , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKg5L9X8Ty8