• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Drone UK law changing end of Dec 2020 - read if you have small drones

Tony

In case you're not aware, this was published very recently. From the UK Civil Aviation Authority tweet:

Drone users: some of the UK’s #drone laws change at the end of this year. Make sure you are flying correctly and legally by checking out what is new on our website: http://caa.co.uk/drones

Direct link to the PDF of the changes - http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4No1449.pdf

In a nutshell - drones under 250g now require registration. £9 a year.

I am not surprised about this as we have had an explosion of drone usage this year and with Christmas coming, a lot of people will have their first drones.

What do you think of this changes?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Anyone who's going to be stupid with a drone isn't going register them!

Yeah, unless you got caught then all of the kit are taken away. Not something you want this to happen. :)

10 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

u still dont have to reg toys one which is good

Yeah, the 'toy' drones doesn't reach that far so I think CAA got the balance right this time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

true alex but if your caught without your id number on a drone the police can take it away so always better to follow the rules to keep the hobby safe  👍

I agree that people should follow the rules however many won't

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alex97 said:

I agree that people should follow the rules however many won't

True we had a guy flying with us couple of years ago owned a syma dji clone thing wasnt a good flyer so we used to tell him to use safe mode with RTH just incase but he kept wandering out further and further til he lost connection and it flew off lol we always use a spotter as most of us FPV 

• Like 1

The point I was trying to make was that the type of person who buys a cheap drone for a bit of fun to muck around with no doubt isn't aware that they need this or for the price of the drone is happy to risk it. 

Shame but the few will always spoil it for the rest.

To me it is the government and the CAA saying "look what we have done to combat antisocial drone use" without actually doing anything, apart from rubbing their hands together counting the extra cash flow. All this registration could easily in my mind be done by the BMFA as they already know who is responsible enough via the membership/ Insurance. They could give numbers out or just insist on carrying valid membership card whenever flying.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2020 at 21:44, Fly In My Soup said:

Oh great another stealth tax.... Just what I wanted... 

I won't register what I have as we only go out in local fields anyway.... Not exactly what you'd call densely populated 

I get where you're coming from as it doesn't seem fair to have to pay out cash for something you're using safely in a private area with lots of space.

You do see some right idiots sometimes though using drones in populated areas where if it did crash land it could quite easily kill someone or damage property. This registering may put some people off getting one which is a good thing but as @Alex97 was getting at most people who may not be as responsible with their drones will not register anyway. 

If for the yearly fee that included some public liability insurance then I'd see that as more than worth the fee. 

I gave up flying my large drone a few years ago because I struggled to find safe areas locally to fly it as I wouldn't want to fly over populated areas. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GMballistic said:

I get where you're coming from as it doesn't seem fair to have to pay out cash for something you're using safely in a private area with lots of space.

You do see some right idiots sometimes though using drones in populated areas where if it did crash land it could quite easily kill someone or damage property. This registering may put some people off getting one which is a good thing but as @Alex97 was getting at most people who may not be as responsible with their drones will not register anyway. 

If for the yearly fee that included some public liability insurance then I'd see that as more than worth the fee. 

I gave up flying my large drone a few years ago because I struggled to find safe areas locally to fly it as I wouldn't want to fly over populated areas. 

Yeah.... I'm thinking this is one of ' those ' regulations... 

You know the type.... Lobbied and passed by individuals who have 0 idea what they're actually engaging in or talking about... They just.... do..... Usually because of constituent pressure or just to be seen to be doing anything about something someone has whinged about / has been in the papers this week..... 

I mean.... On face value... It seems they're e pro actively helping reduce nuisance drone users.... When in fact... The immediate conclsuion would be that 'Johnny chavington' is gonna laugh when you tell him he needs to licence his drone.... 

And if he indeed was... Or planned to use said drone in nefarious activities /stupid stuff... He's actively going to avoid registering his drone at all costs.... 

So What your left with.... Is a hollow policy.... A regulation set up to ' reduce nuisance users' .. . That literally just punishes the legit end user community...... 

And just like that... You're back to square one.... 

' Well that didn't work... What should we try next...'...... 

'I know... A complete repliciation of a failed regulation... But this time for drones under 250g....'

🤣🤣.... 👌

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 2

Feels similar to the change in legislation over air weapons here in Scotland. You now need a certificate for them, and have to pay for it. All brought in because some wee neds on a scheme shot a toddler. Would they now apply for a certificate? Would they have even bought the weapon from a shop? It is nuts.

Oh and there is no record of what air weapons you own, or how many. So none of the guns are traceable. You just have a bit of paper saying you can own them. 

As said above the reason for bringing in the law on face of it is for the good. It will allow the police to have more power when dealing with muppets. It is just that the common person who is going to have to pay. 

• Like 1

Yeh Jack i agree its just a big pain in the posterior and its only the legal fliers that will register whereas the numpty's wont and will continue to do stupid things with drones :(

• Like 1

On 28/12/2020 at 10:36, Tintin said:

Feels similar to the change in legislation over air weapons here in Scotland. You now need a certificate for them, and have to pay for it. All brought in because some wee neds on a scheme shot a toddler. Would they now apply for a certificate? Would they have even bought the weapon from a shop? It is nuts.

Oh and there is no record of what air weapons you own, or how many. So none of the guns are traceable. You just have a bit of paper saying you can own them. 

Goodness don't get me started on that BS. 😡 😆 

Don't forget all the used airguns floating around passing between hands that aren't licenced as well. 

Bit like when the Government banned Brocock and other TAC airguns making everybody that wanted to keep them apply for a firearms licence, ...if you didn't go for the licence then you had to hand the gun/s in for no compensation whatsoever which is disgusting when you consider the cheapest ones were around £150 to buy. 
Needless to say I am sure loads of them are now being held "illegally".

I know some people who did get the licence which is a joke because not only do they have to keep paying to renew their licence even if they wanted to sell their legally owned guns to someone else with a licence they cannot do it so either they keep the gun for life or have it destroyed, again for no compensation.