• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Shoo goo replacement ? What do you think ?

mydoddy69

I've also noticed a big rise in the price of Shoe Goo, in fact I opened my last tube of it the other day and the packet still had the £7.99 sticker on it, these days it's twice that.

I love Gorilla products too, so I will give some of this a try for sure, that level of flexibility might make it even better than Shoe Goo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bertberr said:

No but I'll give it a go when my current tube of shoo goo is finished - really stinks the room out after you've used it, so would like a viable alternative.  Whats the smell like on this stuff?

Hardly any smell no where near as toxic as shoo goo that stuff is rather lethal 😂😂

• Haha 1

Another alternative that I use is "E6000" adhesive but that seems to have doubled in price from the last time I bought it maybe 8 months ago when I paid £5.99 for a 110ml tube.  🙄

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Tear-Repair-Adhesive-Glue-E-6000-110ml-3-7oz-Clear/174312910375?epid=6032712752&hash=item2895dbee27:g:hyQAAOSw2BFdPeb6

Hope the Gorilla glues works out as a better alternative for others.
@mydoddy69 is it worth trying it on top of paint, ...you know just in case it effects that. I don't think it will but for experimentation purposes would be good to check I think. 

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Another alternative that I use is "E6000" adhesive but that seems to have doubled in price from the last time I bought it maybe 8 months ago when I paid £5.99 for a 110ml tube.  🙄

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Tear-Repair-Adhesive-Glue-E-6000-110ml-3-7oz-Clear/174312910375?epid=6032712752&hash=item2895dbee27:g:hyQAAOSw2BFdPeb6

Hope the Gorilla glues works out as a better alternative for others.
@mydoddy69 is it worth trying it on top of paint, ...you know just in case it effects that. I don't think it will but for experimentation purposes would be good to check I think. 

I know it's not exactly the same but I've used the orange expanding Gorilla glue on paint before and not had any issues, but I will be testing it myself anyway so if nobody else has done it I will report back after I have.

I can't see any problems though.

• Like 1

I had some of this left over from a DIY job so tried it with skrim tape and seemed to work well at £6.99 for 290ml. Odourless and solvent free and hasn't seemed to have attacked my Torro shell at all. 👍

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-x8-hybrid-sealant-adhesive-clear-290ml/168HT

Edited by DAL3D

13 minutes ago, locky said:

Can you peel the Gorilla grab adhesive from surfaces without surface damage?

Doubtful, that being said, I have caused damage with Shoe Goo as well.

My rule of thumb now is I use Plastidip for anything I might want to remove and Shoe Goo for stuff that I never need to remove.

Just in case.

1 hour ago, BashingBrian said:

Try "CT1" cheaper and stronger than shoo goo in my opinion,  google it 😁

It stinks but is super strong, I believe wickes now sell it too so that great..

I’ve used CT1 in past but wasn’t sure about  using it on a body shell certainly strong stuff 👍

23 minutes ago, Fuzzock said:

Very interesting as I am considering doing this to my shells shortly.

I am assuming that Shoo Glue is fairly messy to do as well?

Ian...

Yeah either will get you caked in mess but the shoe goo will have you floating in the ceiling 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

Shoe Goo isn't too bad from my experience, I don't usually get too covered, it's quite thick.

I've not yet used the Gorilla stuff, how is it in comparison to Shoe Goo in thickness @mydoddy69?

I’d say it’s a fair bit thinner in Consistency when applying it, but seems to dry out about the same mind you the idea is to get a thin coat so not sure that’s anything to go by 😂

I suppose the real test will be what it performs like in the cold and I’ve it goes brittle or not over time ?