• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help - I am new and want to buy an RC car -advice please

eastbournedan

Hi Everyone,

I am completely new to this and want to purchase an RC Truck at some point over the next couple of weeks, but I after spending a whole weekend watching tons of youtube video's, comparing chinese vs other models, I am getting more confused, so I will appreciate your help.

A couple of pointers;

- This is for me and my 9 year old son to play with

- Terrain; grass, gravel, offroad only, would pebble beach destroy it (we live in Eastbourne and we go on the beach really often)?  

- We have an old overgrown minigolf field with lots of ramps nearby where we have seen many RC car performing awesome jumps (I want some of that if possible)

- Budget is tight at £200. I could potentially go £100 up, but have to bear in mind that I have 0 gear at present, so I will need to get a charger etc.

- Speed is fun in my opinion, but I realise that my budget isn't high enough.

- Not planning to use it in the rain, so waterproof is not important. 

- Don't mind if second hand, as I should get better value for money

- I think electric is the way to go, but I am open to advice.

- Brushless possible at this budget point?

Hopefully that gives you an idea about what I am trying to achieve. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks all,

Dan

12 minutes ago, eastbournedan said:

Thanks Jack! I am checking it out now. 

I started with  the 2wd xl5 stampede “for the little one” too. It is great fun. Recently upgraded it to brushless and it’s super fast! You can go the vxl route, but the car is exactly the same except with the Velineon esc. You can upgrade the esc and motor yourself down the line for half the price 

• Like 1

have had a stampede VXL and they are great fun i would also like to recommend a Team Corally Triton XP which behaves and feels a lot like a stampede as it has a high COG and 2wd wheelies like crazy. 

I actually got a brushed version and converted it to brushless but sort of wish i had just got the brushless version they are great fun, durable and good quality for the price!

Just throwing it out there!

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rc-electric-models/rc-car-categories/9900/990010&ManufacturerID=5&ChassisID=2006

Edited by iRiCkYx
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iRiCkYx said:

have had a stampede VXL and they are great fun i would also like to recommend a Team Corally Triton XP which behaves and feels a lot like a stampede as it has a high COG and 2wd wheelies like crazy. 

I actually got a brushed version and converted it to brushless but sort of wish i had just got the brushless version they are great fun, durable and good quality for the price!

Just throwing it out there!

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rc-electric-models/rc-car-categories/9900/990010&ManufacturerID=5&ChassisID=2006

That looks a lot like the stampede :). Good price for brushless ready.

The Corally TriTon is a modern design,  and Robust as heck if you are looking for an RTR,  the CEO is also an RC enthusiast.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/corally-triton-xp-2wd-monster-truck-1-10-bushless-rtr/rc-car-products/444072

Though,   There's a Kit form Traxxas Slash out.      I'd actually recommend a Kit for a beginner,  As it gets you familiar with the inner Workings and more prepared to work on your car when something inevitably breaks or goes wrong.

Usually it's Tamiya that is the choice for good Kits with clear instructions and a great build experience,   But since they released the Kit form of the Slash....   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GorillaZilla said:

The Corally TriTon is a modern design,  and Robust as heck if you are looking for an RTR,  the CEO is also an RC enthusiast.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/corally-triton-xp-2wd-monster-truck-1-10-bushless-rtr/rc-car-products/444072

Though,   There's a Kit form Traxxas Slash out.      I'd actually recommend a Kit for a beginner,  As it gets you familiar with the inner Workings and more prepared to work on your car when something inevitably breaks or goes wrong.

Usually it's Tamiya that is the choice for good Kits with clear instructions and a great build experience,   But since they released the Kit form of the Slash....   

Exactly i was very much a traxxas fanboy until i tried the Triton and have to say i was very pleased with it! 

Really can't see it doing you wrong should you decide to go for one and its within budget also brushless just supply a charger and battery/batteries which can all be done for under £250 i reckon.

• Like 1

+1 on the Corally trucks

My son got the brushed version of the Triton and i was so impressed with the build quality and resilliance i bought the brushless Triton its nuts on 2s and is 3s capable 

I wouldnt want to see it on 3s lol , My son also upgraded his brushed 1 with a brushless esc and motor he had kicking about and his performance is in the middle of brushed and brushless performance

The only downside we found was the servo savers a bit weak and i swapped it out with a Traxxas servo saver

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-servo-saver/rc-car-products/21418

• Like 1

WOW - Great feedback guys! I have certainly come to the right place!

I am getting more drawn to the Titon as durability seems to be a key thing they are promoting and I have seen quite a few reviews talking about Traxxas RCs falling apart quickly, but spares are readily available...

What are the spare for the Triton like in the UK?

As is can accept 3S's, would I be crazy to go for these in the first instance? I am thinking 5000MPA 3S Lipos like https://www.amazon.co.uk/HRB-5000mAh-Quadcopter-Airplane-Helicopter/dp/B0856YPCZ4/ref=sr_1_21?crid=3VEVAY43IYCEN&dchild=1&keywords=3s+lipo+battery&qid=1595273978&sprefix=3S+%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-21

Then I should hopefully be able to go for longer runs... if they fit.. any experience and advice what to go for, as these do not come with the truck?

Thanks all

3 minutes ago, eastbournedan said:

WOW - Great feedback guys! I have certainly come to the right place!

I am getting more drawn to the Titon as durability seems to be a key thing they are promoting and I have seen quite a few reviews talking about Traxxas RCs falling apart quickly, but spares are readily available...

What are the spare for the Triton like in the UK?

As is can accept 3S's, would I be crazy to go for these in the first instance? I am thinking 5000MPA 3S Lipos like https://www.amazon.co.uk/HRB-5000mAh-Quadcopter-Airplane-Helicopter/dp/B0856YPCZ4/ref=sr_1_21?crid=3VEVAY43IYCEN&dchild=1&keywords=3s+lipo+battery&qid=1595273978&sprefix=3S+%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-21

Then I should hopefully be able to go for longer runs... if they fit.. any experience and advice what to go for, as these do not come with the truck?

Thanks all

I run 2s 5300mah batteries in mine the brushless comes with 2 battery retainers 1 for 2s and a thinner 1 for 3s so i would think 3s 5000mah batts should fit 

I'd go for the Triton brushed. If you're new the brushed is more forgiving and much cheaper than the brushless version.

But...

You will need a decent charger £35ish for an Overlander.

£50 for 2 x 6000mah 2s lipos from Hobbyking

Soldering kit and a load of XT60 connectors  and heat shrink tubing.

A lot of reading and researching for the above.

Edited by Nickarla

one minor thing on the triton that is easily fixed, some of the screws on the front arms and wheel hub carriers can start working loose, a wee dab of superglue and they wont ever unscrew again unless u want them to :)

the brushless triton is insane but my brushed one was ok to start with but started to feel a tad slow, maybe run a nimh battery on the brushless triton to start with but get  a charger that can do nimh and lipo, then if you want more speed just grab a 2s lipo, seriously the brushless triton on 2s is about the same speed as a 4s hyper vse but not as controllable :)

i grabbed a solder iron from lidl or aldi for 8 quid, does the job for motor connections and battery ones.

Edited by Yrkoon

Those Aldi ones don’t go that hot though. 80w + is ideally what you are looking for. I would also suggest going to LiPo straight away. No point in getting a nimh it is inferior to LiPo in every way.

I wouldn't worry about the car being too fast,  the throttle is proportional after all,  so the car will only go as fast as you want it to.       And if you have poor trigger control you can always limit the throttle on the transmitter till you develop that control. 

My young nephew can handle my insane 6S "standing Backflips on demand" Hyper ST  just fine,  I limited the throttle end points at first.   Now he does not even need that.

Edited by GorillaZilla
  • Like 1