• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D Printer people...

Nick

I'd be more than happy to help, maybe like a data base where people can upload designs and maybe ask people to print bits for them. 

Only issue can be copyright, if the STL came from a website such a thingiverse there might be copyright infringements. I've done a few small bits however unless it's my design I only charge for use of the machine and my time. 

1 hour ago, Alex97 said:

I'd be more than happy to help, maybe like a data base where people can upload designs and maybe ask people to print bits for them. 

Only issue can be copyright, if the STL came from a website such a thingiverse there might be copyright infringements. I've done a few small bits however unless it's my design I only charge for use of the machine and my time. 

I guess we just say it's your own work, the same can be said for posts people and copying articles.

Yeesh.... Those 3d guys know when they're designs are being bootlegged i'll tell you that.... 

I suggest a quick browse through here may bring you upto speed.... Its certainly not just a case of reproducing a file depository.... Like you would in an aforementioned article... Or Facebook post.... 

https://www.makerbot.com/stories/news/your-rights-when-you-upload-to-thingiverse/

The only way to really move forward with this idea would be to start from scratch and add only new files.... 

Upload a file if you created it ...post a link if you found it.

There are things I have created for projects....which I modelled, tested and printed.

Might also be worth adding a comment on each file as to whether it is something you have printed...or just found. There has been anumber of times when I have got files from Thingiverse, and you look at the way it is setup and put together that terll you straight off it was never printed...just a mesh someone got hold of and stuffed into an STL file.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Yeesh.... Those 3d guys know when they're designs are being bootlegged i'll tell you that.... 

I suggest a quick browse through here may bring you upto speed.... Its certainly not just a case of reproducing a file depository.... Like you would in an aforementioned article... Or Facebook post.... 

https://www.makerbot.com/stories/news/your-rights-when-you-upload-to-thingiverse/

The only way to really move forward with this idea would be to start from scratch and add only new files.... 

This was my vision, not to download/upload other peoples files off the web but start something of our own.

• Like 3

I dont think anyone minds a repository of STLs its the commercial production and distribution of models that makers are upset about - no one who posts his model on thingyverse complains if 50/200 people download and make it for their own use ...

Edited by r4nd0m

Id would download for my own personal use, unless someone didnt have a printer then i would print psrts for them if so requested, but not for profit.......

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, RadioFish said:

Id would download for my own personal use, unless someone didnt have a printer then i would print psrts for them if so requested, but not for profit.......

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

yup, same here

Would this include requests for 3D printing too?

The ScaleCanada site has 3D print files for sale - I don’t think it’s a case of sharing a file you’ve purchased for people to print ad infinitum, but a resource to put people in touch with those that are able to do 3D printing would be good too.