• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LOCKDOWN - is taking your RC out exercising?

AndyBell

16 hours ago, Tony said:

From what I read elsewhere, it's about putting pressure on the police/hospital resources when you go for a drive and gets involved in a serious RTC. And you being taken to a very busy, overfilled hospital of COVID-19 patients.

RC is part of recreation and that's banned during this National Lockdown.

We stayed home strictly last spring. Never left the house for any reasons. Shopping was delivered.

In May, my dad climbed on a ladder in the garden to cut some branches. Fell off the ladder and broke 10 ribs. Ambulance came. 2 weeks in the hospital. But he never had a car accident in his life.

Hence, we must also forbid climbing ladders to avoid pressure on hospital resources.

For us in the house there is only one single rule: Stay away from any other people.

Be anti social as much as possible. Easiest accomplished  by staying at home.

My apologies if I sound radical, but I feel we can only curb the virus with really strong actions.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jens said:

In May, my dad climbed on a ladder in the garden to cut some branches. Fell off the ladder and broke 10 ribs. Ambulance came. 2 weeks in the hospital. But he never had a car accident in his life.

Hence, we must also forbid climbing ladders to avoid pressure on hospital resources.

Yeah, because clearly, ladders are known to have technical defects, run out of fuel, get a flat, and all the other problems that lead to you having to call either support or emergency services. 

I remember vividly three months ago, when my ladder had a flat battery and my coffee machine couldn't release the handbrake anymore, both instances leading to me mingling with other people.

Here's a fun fact. There's people who do have car accidents. And sometimes they hit people who never had accidents before. Isn't that interesting? Lets see. Me, never having had an accident, sitting at the traffic light, getting hit from behind by a guy who's arguing with his wife in his car, because the three children in the back are unhinged. I don't even know what the heck your arguing for/against, there's zero correlation between the government saying "don't drive" and your dad falling off a ladder. The government argument in that case actually makes sense. 

edit: in response to the thread title, no, taking your RC out isn't exercise, of course not. That's not to say that taking your RC with you on a walk (and by that i mean, an actual walk for exercise) isn't okay. To me it doesn't matter if someone goes on a walk and takes his RC (as long as he's not standing somewhere just running his stuff), or if he goes on a walk by himself. There's literally zero difference. The point of contention here is clearly the "going for a walk" part - you need to actually go for a walk, not "walk to where i run my RCs, run them there for an hour and walk back". I go out twice a week (ish) for 20-30 minute walks, sometimes i take a crawler, sometimes i don't. I still go for the walk. Local, around the block basically. It's like arguing that you shouldn't look at your phone while going on a walk, because you're not supposed to do recreational activities when walking. That's not really common sense, is it?

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 2

The message is...stay home, suits me as im an antisocial git lol, yes i am missing getting out with the rc stuff, but its not for ever. The bad guy in me says "sneak out for a play" the good guy says "stay home" and thats what i am doing, just going to work, shopping for food and if needed sorting my daughters many problems as i am her support bubble and she has complex health issues

• Like 3

5 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Yeah, because clearly, ladders are known to have technical defects, run out of fuel, get a flat, and all the other problems that lead to you having to call either support or emergency services. 

I remember vividly three months ago, when my ladder had a flat battery and my coffee machine couldn't release the handbrake anymore, both instances leading to me mingling with other people.

Here's a fun fact. There's people who do have car accidents. And sometimes they hit people who never had accidents before. Isn't that interesting? Lets see. Me, never having had an accident, sitting at the traffic light, getting hit from behind by a guy who's arguing with his wife in his car, because the three children in the back are unhinged. I don't even know what the heck your arguing for/against, there's zero correlation between the government saying "don't drive" and your dad falling off a ladder. The government argument in that case actually makes sense. 

edit: in response to the thread title, no, taking your RC out isn't exercise, of course not. That's not to say that taking your RC with you on a walk (and by that i mean, an actual walk for exercise) isn't okay. To me it doesn't matter if someone goes on a walk and takes his RC (as long as he's not standing somewhere just running his stuff), or if he goes on a walk by himself. There's literally zero difference. The point of contention here is clearly the "going for a walk" part - you need to actually go for a walk, not "walk to where i run my RCs, run them there for an hour and walk back". I go out twice a week (ish) for 20-30 minute walks, sometimes i take a crawler, sometimes i don't. I still go for the walk. Local, around the block basically. It's like arguing that you shouldn't look at your phone while going on a walk, because you're not supposed to do recreational activities when walking. That's not really common sense, is it?

I am on your side.

And I think you put it in the right words.

The main purpose counts when you go out.

If you go out for exercise, than you can go out. It's irrelevant if you take your RC car along.

If your main purpose is to take the RC car out and use exercise as an excuse, It's not ok.

And if you stop walking to race your cars your exercise has stopped. It's now recreation. Quite simple for me.

I used to go out daily for half an hour after work. It helps with my back pains.

Since Covid only once/twice a week. And since I have the RC cars, I take them along.

Controlling the car while walking makes me forget the pains.

And that way I also get my kiddo to do some much needed exercise.

About looking at your phone while walking:

Recent news from Wales make me wonder again.

The 2 ladies that went for a walk got a fine because they were holding coffee cups in their hands. It was then considered a picnic. 😲

( Walking coffee picnic )

The rules have too much space for interpretation and at the end it comes down to the officer that stops you.

Today an officer accepts my walking with the RC car.

Tomorrow I get a fine by another officer.

On 08/01/2021 at 23:39, Tony said:

From what I read elsewhere, it's about putting pressure on the police/hospital resources when you go for a drive and gets involved in a serious RTC. And you being taken to a very busy, overfilled hospital of COVID-19 patients.

The are trying to reduce this which is why they're issuing out an Stay Home and *only* go out for essential travel. And to stay local for exercises. 

RC is part of recreation and that's banned during this National Lockdown.

I personally don't count a Chinese takeaway as essential travel, but they are still open.

I don't consider pubs to be essential travel, but those serving food are still open.

I don't consider fishing essential, but they are allowed to do it.

I don't think our government know there elbows from there you know whats.

I met 67 different people today at work, is it now safer for everyone if I go to the middle of nowhere to exercise, or walk down the street?

To be honest we go we don't tend to see anyone else either, it's a farm lane, which is mostly private and I have permission to be there, where crash we'll ever have is a wing mirror, no biggie.

Different people have different circumstances.

As I said earlier, I shall remain thinking logically and keep me and my family safe, but it'll probably change again tomorrow anyway.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

What I find amazing is how using Rc vehicles is some how not ok in the Lock down, as it can be done alone   ,,,,,

BUT Fishing and Shooting are apparently  *****  EXERCISE  ?? ******* Surprise   Surprise some MPs Likes Fishing and Shooting !!!  ...         ( unfair biased UK Laws )

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Brianmod78 said:

Hi,

first, welcome to the forum.

I still take out my RC cars. It's just part of my weekly walking exercise. 👍

What cars do you have?

15 hours ago, Brianmod78 said:

What I find amazing is how using Rc vehicles is some how not ok in the Lock down, as it can be done alone   ,,,,,

BUT Fishing and Shooting are apparently  *****  EXERCISE  ?? ******* Surprise   Surprise some MPs Likes Fishing and Shooting !!!  ...         ( unfair biased UK Laws )

Please refrain from swearing on the forum, if you haven’t already please have a quick read of the Forum rules 👍 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I say the RC  community is Discriminated against as its not part of the ( Rich mans club image ) and seen by some as being childish toys !!!

Golf and Angling on the other hand is part of a rich mans club image ( known  the right sort !!! ) 

So Angling is seen as exercise-proof...      https://anglingtrust.net/2021/01/07/fishing-to-be-allowed-during-national-lockdown-angling-trust-announcement/

So Golf is seen as exercise- proof....           https://uk.yahoo.com/news/tee-time-comes-early-golf-022714343.html

I sometimes do lots of walking even running after RC  Cars / RC Hovercraft's / RC Drones/  and rowing after RC Boats                         RC can be = more Exercise than Golf and Angling...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Lives Matter   ( Time to get noticed !!  ) 

• Like 1

I'm turning now, I was all for this to start, Just wait for the Vaccine and that will be the game changer they kept telling us, We're following the data and not the dates.

Well that's gone all out the window, They are blatantly not following the data, Over half the population has had it's first jab and still no game seems to have changed.

Just listen to this little bit, Julia just wanted a number, By the end I just wanted to throw my computer.

Edited by babylon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, babylon said:

I'm turning now, I was all for this to start, Just wait for the Vaccine and that will be the game changer they kept telling us, We're following the data and not the dates.

Well that's gone all out the window, They are blatantly not following the data, Over half the population has had it's first jab and still no game seems to have changed.

Just listen to this little bit, Julia just wanted a number, By the end I just wanted to throw my computer.

Personally I wanted to throw a brick at her. I won't defend political decisions, but I do hate overly aggressive broadcasters.

In the end she is looking for a simplistic answer to a complicated question. It is like shouting "Tell me the safe speed I should be driving at in the uk then?" It depends on various things like roads, location etc.

Our current situation is like that and we just need to deal with it and follow the science. 🤷‍♂️

Ian...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fuzzock said:

Personally I wanted to throw a brick at her. I won't defend political decisions, but I do hate overly aggressive broadcasters.

In the end she is looking for a simplistic answer to a complicated question. It is like shouting "Tell me the safe speed I should be driving at in the uk then?" It depends on various things like roads, location etc.

Our current situation is like that and we just need to deal with it and follow the science. 🤷‍♂️

Ian...

But what’s the number?!

3 hours ago, Fuzzock said:

Ian...

Can't agree, Politicians are allowed of the hook way to easy these days by most broadcasters.

You say it's a simplistic answer to a complicated question, Everything we are going through at the moment is based on, And supported by numbers, Your region go's into lockdown because it has gone above a certain number, The UK is at the top of the covid death chart because of a number, The transmission rate is based on a number, Government wants a 5 week gap so they can follow the numbers.

I would assume that if the rate starts to go's back up they have a number, And they will be quick enough to use there extended 6 month emergency powers to put us back into lock down, So if Boris is happy to stand at that podium while Witty & Valance have there hands operating he's mouth telling us that the number has gone up to such and such and we have to lock down, It's not much to ask that they say if the number comes down to such and such we will open up.

You also say follow the science, Problem is, Boris appears to only be following the science that comes out of Witty & Valance mouth, And there is no such thing as half empty or half full with them two, It's just bone dry, The harbingers of doom and gloom them two. 

And don't even get me started on the Peoples Republic of Britain covid passport.

1 hour ago, babylon said:

Can't agree, Politicians are allowed of the hook way to easy these days by most broadcasters.

You say it's a simplistic answer to a complicated question, Everything we are going through at the moment is based on, And supported by numbers, Your region go's into lockdown because it has gone above a certain number, The UK is at the top of the covid death chart because of a number, The transmission rate is based on a number, Government wants a 5 week gap so they can follow the numbers.

I would assume that if the rate starts to go's back up they have a number, And they will be quick enough to use there extended 6 month emergency powers to put us back into lock down, So if Boris is happy to stand at that podium while Witty & Valance have there hands operating he's mouth telling us that the number has gone up to such and such and we have to lock down, It's not much to ask that they say if the number comes down to such and such we will open up.

You also say follow the science, Problem is, Boris appears to only be following the science that comes out of Witty & Valance mouth, And there is no such thing as half empty or half full with them two, It's just bone dry, The harbingers of doom and gloom them two. 

And don't even get me started on the Peoples Republic of Britain covid passport.

That is science though, bone dry and not emotional. I have no faith in politicians as there is always another motive (Which may be valid) I only care about the science so give me cold figures all day long...

As an interesting note, she was asking for a specific figure, yet you listed off the top of your head 3-4 chartable references. However what if 3 are low, and 1 is high is that fine? with up to 16 combinations on the ones you listed alone asking for a single reference point is not possible.

Yes this sucks, yes we want to be doing things, but hopefully a path out is here and  we just need to follow it.

In the end is using an RC anywhere near worth the risk of infecting/being infected by something that is quite frankly nasty which you may survive but may then pass onto someone you care about who doesn't. (Ask my neighbour about her now dead dad for a reference to that.)

(And I will leave it at that)

Ian...

• Like 1