• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New ARRMA Teaser....

Fly In My Soup

plastic shock tower 😮 also cir clip holding the pinion on is awful, servo is some weird spectrum spline and servo saver is on the servo directly 😕 

55mph

1200 kv 4685 motor seems a bit small for 1/5th also paired with a max6 based esc rather than a max5. 

Edited by Jumper

1 minute ago, m4inbrain said:

Plastic shock tower isn't inherently bad considering how many bent on the 6s version already, without 25lbs of truck behind it. 

yeah i know, my hyper st has plastic shock towers. they probably did it to keep cost and weight down. 

Well.. That'd be it for me here. 

It's better than i expected, but to me, sadly also as pointless as i expected. I think they got the basics spot on - but they've put it in the wrong chassis. In my opinion, anyway.

It's, to me as a non-fanboy of any manufacturer (and certainly not Traxxas), not an X-Maxx killer.

• Like 1

Tbh I would much rather have this than a dbxle, but it would need a brushless setup like aj's 5b and probably £1000 of m2c upgrades. Lol. 

It's cool.... Nothing that hasn't been done before though.... By builders already... Its basically just a stretched truggy

As for the electronics.... These are using the newer style 32 bit chips which is good news... And the 1250kv will be enough to power it along easy on 8s.

Great and all.... But do I think its worth a grand.... Nope.... I built something similar for a lot less

• Thanks 1

I wonder how much it would have been with a standard max6, ttx300 and a normal servo. I bet the spektum tax adds upto £100, although I be you could sell the electronics, and get enough back to get a max5 and a flysky gt5 or ttx300. 

Looks OK, but I agree with the sentiment that's it's not as inspiring as a true MT, it's just a large Truggy. I'm sure it's a good Truggy, but it lacks the presence of a true MT with floaty suspension and tricky handling. 

Would take the Mojave over this. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

Looks OK, but I agree with the sentiment that's it's not as inspiring as a true MT, it's just a large Truggy. I'm sure it's a good Truggy, but it lacks the presence of a true MT with floaty suspension and tricky handling. 

Would take the Mojave over this. 

The Xmaxx is no different. It's just got a fat chassis but the diffs and chassis underneath them are near parallel with the hubs.

1 hour ago, Jumper said:

plastic shock tower 😮 also cir clip holding the pinion on is awful, servo is some weird spectrum spline and servo saver is on the servo directly 😕 

55mph

1200 kv 4685 motor seems a bit small for 1/5th also paired with a max6 based esc rather than a max5. 

DBXL had a plastic shock tower.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

It made me think for a brief second, currently looking for an X-Maxx. I like the electrics considerably better in the Kraton 8s, but here's the problem for me. Disclaimer: i think this is, going by specs, a pretty great truck. Definitely better than the X-Maxx VXL/Plastic Servo combo. 

But: they managed somehow to make a 5th scale look boring. Not just the truck itself, but the way it drives too. All "major" 5th scale trucks have some vivid suspension action, they have a "big" presence. If you the video wasn't aptly named, and you take out the first seconds of the video (with the dude), you wouldn't actually be able to tell that it's a 5th scale. It, to me, just doesn't have any presence or "drama" when driving (for the lack of better term). Like the X-Maxx' suspension working when driving. And i don't understand why, it's not like you gonna race this Kraton anywhere (unlike 5t etc). 

It's good, and honestly, i think purely by electrics and probably toughness (though that remains to be seen) it beats the X-Maxx. 

I'll buy the X-Maxx. It just looks considerably more dramatic when in motion. 

edit: £949 is also £100 more than i was hoping for.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrma-1-5-kraton-4x4-8s-blx-brushless-speed-monster-truck-rtr-orange/rc-car-products/444543

edit2: different video.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head fella 

I think other than 8s electrics and a slightly bigger platform it’s no different to the cheaper by 50% smaller kraton 

Massive anti climax such a shame and it appears only the hard core Arrma fans are the only ones wetting themselves over this one 

Sorry Arrma but I’d rather pay the extra £80 for the dbxle v2 

Edit it’s actually £989 on Modelsport that’s £40 mor than the x maxx 🥴🥴

Edited by mydoddy69
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mond said:

The Xmaxx is no different. It's just got a fat chassis but the diffs and chassis underneath them are near parallel with the hubs.

Yeah, the same way that a Landrover is no different than a Audi TT. They both got four independent wheels, all wheel drive and an engine.

This is hair splitting, you know full well what someone means if he says "presence of a MT". Arguing that X-Maxx and Kraton are the same, or that the X-Maxx isn't any more MT than the Kraton is just nonsense. Here's a pointer: the Kraton 8s has 65mm ride height. The X-Maxx has 102mm. Yeah it's not a solid axle truck (and i used to add this precisely to prevent those types of comments), so it's not a "real monster truck". That doesn't make it less of a monster truck. 

24 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Edit it’s actually £989 on Modelsport that’s £40 mor than the x maxx 🥴🥴

Lol that went up then. When i checked (and linked) it was £949 with a £50.99 discount. 

I'm off to AussieRCPlayground to watch the VAS's unboxing.

Note that his unboxing etc isn't up yet - but others (including germans) are. One would assume that on a huge release like this, you'd want your video out as soon as possible (as soon as the embargo/NDA lifts). I wonder.. 

Edited by m4inbrain

I was having a little eBay look around last night, And I'm not to sure if this is a bad indictment on this truck, But I got more excited about dropping a full size brushless system I have knocking around into This for 60quid, Other than another overpriced largescale. 

RM12413GR-1-a9a6-4HWc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1