• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

The stock ESC is unreliable and is kind of a performance bottle neck. They dont like being geared up.  I use a Max 6 in all of my X’s,  as it fits in stock location easily enough. Youre more than likely going to not run Traxxas lipo’s, so if you change the comnectors, youre going to end up with an unreliable ESC with no warranty.

Just changing the ESC and keeping the gearing the same has a decent performance gain. A newESC plus gearing up really unlocks these.  The Max 6 is what I go for, relatively simple swap, and you can sell the stock ESC for £70-80 on eBay. It’d be the first thing I did to an X Maxx, before buying anything else. Just me personally. They say theyve been updated and arent as bad now, but for what I consider a little cost once youve sold the stock esc on,

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just fitted an 80kg servo from aliexpress along with an ubec from wheelspin so it can run at 8.4v, all in including the conversion plate and upgraded spring i was around £100, although you cannot use the oe servo arm as its got a bigger spline drive that a standard servo so you will need to drill and tap a new thread in the supplied alloy arm, but i have bought another head for a standard sized servo which looks like the oe servo arm but not sure if its the right thing yet, but will report back and confirm when it arrives. To fit the ubec i had to solder a plug onto the wires going to the esc.

Someone may have a better option but this is working good for me

Edited by wolfie1
  • Like 1

On 01/10/2023 at 08:55, martin34 said:

What's the best cheap servo upgrade for the xmaxx?I can't afford one of those crazily priced ones but want my xmaxx not to use up the whole field to turn around.

To be fair I dont find a better servo improves the turning circle, its a big truck its gonna need a large area to turn. I run a Dmond 65kg in mine

• Like 1

On 17/09/2023 at 18:18, Kpowell911 said:

The stock ESC is unreliable and is kind of a performance bottle neck. They dont like being geared up.  I use a Max 6 in all of my X’s,  as it fits in stock location easily enough. Youre more than likely going to not run Traxxas lipo’s, so if you change the comnectors, youre going to end up with an unreliable ESC with no warranty.

Just changing the ESC and keeping the gearing the same has a decent performance gain. A newESC plus gearing up really unlocks these.  The Max 6 is what I go for, relatively simple swap, and you can sell the stock ESC for £70-80 on eBay. It’d be the first thing I did to an X Maxx, before buying anything else. Just me personally. They say theyve been updated and arent as bad now, but for what I consider a little cost once youve sold the stock esc on,

good advice

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reading up and watching you tube videoas on xmaxx the general concensus is not to have aluminum parts on it, but traxxas is now offering alloy parts as upgrades, whats everones thoughts on this? I do like alloy parts on my models but have been hesitant on buying many for this model, i do have an alloy standard motor mount fitted as i thought it makes a good heatsink and i have an alloy mainshaft gear cover with the extra bearing on the way on the way for the extra rigidity and heat sink too. I am not an extreme basher doing squillion foot jumps and the likes, I have started changing over all the gears for hardened steel variants as i think this is a reliability mod. I do also fancy 1 of those plastic exoskeletons as my body has some damage already but at £100 they are pricey

2 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

Reading up and watching you tube videoas on xmaxx the general concensus is not to have aluminum parts on it, but traxxas is now offering alloy parts as upgrades, whats everones thoughts on this? I do like alloy parts on my models but have been hesitant on buying many for this model, i do have an alloy standard motor mount fitted as i thought it makes a good heatsink and i have an alloy mainshaft gear cover with the extra bearing on the way on the way for the extra rigidity and heat sink too. I am not an extreme basher doing squillion foot jumps and the likes, I have started changing over all the gears for hardened steel variants as i think this is a reliability mod. I do also fancy 1 of those plastic exoskeletons as my body has some damage already but at £100 they are pricey

Same rule applies to all bashers, stiff backbone (chassis), but everything hanging off it should flex. Wishbones and towers should preferably be RPM. Knuckles can be ally, as can bulkheads. Steering assembly can be ally as the servo saver will stop the ally steering bending, or should do. 

That's about it. Easy. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tug said:

Same rule applies to all bashers, stiff backbone (chassis), but everything hanging off it should flex. Wishbones and towers should preferably be RPM. Knuckles can be ally, as can bulkheads. Steering assembly can be ally as the servo saver will stop the ally steering bending, or should do. 

That's about it. Easy. 

That kinda is my thoughts on it tbh thanks 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 16/12/2023 at 11:36, cpt_haddock said:

Planning on getting an X- Maxx, do any of you guys know if Traxxas are planning a V 5.0 in the near future? 

I don't think its worth waiting, because V1 vs V4 is not that big of a diff - few upgrades and you are at V4, i think it will be same with V5.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tadas said:

I don't think its worth waiting, because V1 vs V4 is not that big of a diff - few upgrades and you are at V4, i think it will be same with V5.

The V1 was a lot different as it was the 6S one with a lot of differences. V2-V4 I agree, and I cant see a V5 comjmg soon or being that different. I think Traxxas have moved on to the XRT now too

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Turns out theres going to be an Xmaxx Ultimate and an XRT Ultimate due soon. Limited run, rumoured to be $1500, in store only, limited edition

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/x-maxx-ultimate/

This looks like just an X-maxx with a load of shinny aluminium parts, not sure they are all necessary. Pretty much same electronics, all for £500 plus. Feels like Traxxas have missed an opportunity here, but I guess they know what the are doing. 

Question is will the standard Xmaxx now come down in price?

Whats everyone’s thoughts on the Ultimate X-maxx?

3 minutes ago, cpt_haddock said:

This looks like just an X-maxx with a load of shinny aluminium parts, not sure they are all necessary. Pretty much same electronics, all for £500 plus. Feels like Traxxas have missed an opportunity here, but I guess they know what the are doing. 

Question is will the standard Xmaxx now come down in price?

Whats everyone’s thoughts on the Ultimate X-maxx?

Id personally find a used but good condition one, preferably with an upgraded ESC. Alot of people genuinely buy these, realise theyre too big and sell them after a few runs, so there is genuinely good ones out there that have had very little use.

I quite like the Ultimate, but it is expensive and I believe mines a better spec. They shouldve put the wide kit on it

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Id personally find a used but good condition one, preferably with an upgraded ESC. Alot of people genuinely buy these, realise theyre too big and sell them after a few runs, so there is genuinely good ones out there that have had very little use.

I quite like the Ultimate, but it is expensive and I believe mines a better spec. They shouldve put the wide kit on it

I think there are better upgraded parts out there and I like doing it myself. 

I’m going to push the button and get the X- max. 

Planning on keeping it all stock until things start to break, how durable and reliable are they out the box?

TIA

7 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

They didnt put the wide kit on it  I would have thought that better than some of other bits they put on:insane:

Some people dont like the extra width as it really hinders the turning circle. Ive got an 60kg servo in mine which is a lot more than even the upgraded Traxxas one

• Like 1

Well i kinda went wide but not using the widemax kit as its a lot of money, i went with 24mm axle extenders on each axle and an anti roll bar kit and i really like it, makes it way less tippy, i also did what kpowell did and fitted a more powerful servo, i fitted it along with a ubec so it gets 8.4 volts, sure when your on the power it has a large turning circle but when  your not on the power when steering it turns sharp, with the added width it will slide around a corner now as opposed to rolling over so easily, i think thats how it should have come from traxxas. For me its my favourite car out of all i have  now and just wish i got it sooner

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2023 at 20:53, Tadas said:

Original Traxxas lipos (after 2 years) are on the way out. Time for new lipos + charger.  What do you guys think about this combo:
ISDT K4 + 4s 8500mAh - 60C - Gens Ace PC -M XT90

I use ISDT DC chargers and personally think they are great, as for batteries I can't comment on Gens Ace, but I would recommend CNHL batteries 100%

• Like 1

On 17/09/2023 at 18:18, Kpowell911 said:

Have you seen the Max 6 G2? its as powerful as the Max 5 but in the size of the old Max 6 V3. 

With the max 6, what would you say is the best Mod 1 gears (ratio and make) to go for? And what Punch are you ising on your Max 6, id love to go Punch 5 but i hear it strips gears. 

Im from Sandwell and i find it difficult to find the gears online as they are all american based, i found some GDS gears on ebay but most of them are chinese sellers which surely means its all counterfeit? I thought GDS was american so why would chinese be selling it, if you know what i mean. 

Any help appreciated, mate. 

5 hours ago, xxCarlxx said:

Have you seen the Max 6 G2? its as powerful as the Max 5 but in the size of the old Max 6 V3. 

With the max 6, what would you say is the best Mod 1 gears (ratio and make) to go for? And what Punch are you ising on your Max 6, id love to go Punch 5 but i hear it strips gears. 

Im from Sandwell and i find it difficult to find the gears online as they are all american based, i found some GDS gears on ebay but most of them are chinese sellers which surely means its all counterfeit? I thought GDS was american so why would chinese be selling it, if you know what i mean. 

Any help appreciated, mate. 

GDS actually are Chinese. Punch is rather individual and depends where and how you run your truck. I would say offroad high punch is useless - truck just skids around uncontrollably, on road - useless since truck just tries to do constant backflip and wheelies uncontrollably. I guess i don't see any good use in high punch levels 😄     

1 hour ago, Tadas said:

GDS actually are Chinese. Punch is rather individual and depends where and how you run your truck. I would say offroad high punch is useless - truck just skids around uncontrollably, on road - useless since truck just tries to do constant backflip and wheelies uncontrollably. I guess i don't see any good use in high punch levels 😄     

Haha, maybe punch 4 then, id like to try it though. GDS are regarded as high quality so im surprised its a chinese company. I just need to know what mod1 gear company to use where parts are available in the UK