• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What was your first rc and when did you get It?

big turbo

Just thought I would start this for a laugh as was talking about old time rc cars with a mate. As title say's what was your first rc and when did you get it Nitro or electric don't matter....

My first rc was a tamiya monster beetle in 1987 and never looked back since lol.

Edited by big turbo

mine was a cen gx1 impreza wrc, got it 2nd hand for my 13th bday and im 22 now and still got it, although its nowhere near a runner yet. i'll restore it when i can afford to, when i have the money i cant find parts and when i dont have the money i can find them... tipycle lol

Cant remember when it was but my first was a tamiya manta ray just after they first came out. (1980 something i think)

Thought it was great, then started breaking things.

Google is my friend, it says it was released 1990.

Edited by Clairendave

Cant remember when it was but my first was a tamiya manta ray just after they first came out. (1980 something i think)

Mine was around the early 80s too. Was some unknown brand of a Toyoto Hilux. It had a low and high range gearbox switch on the loading bay at the back. Went well. Was always jealous of my neighbour's Hornet though.

mine was an old tomy rc car, i cant remeber its name or find a pic but it was red and blue and the controller had a yellow steering wheel had this when i was 3, kicked of the love of rc's this was the very early 90's

Edited by Geo_SSR

1st proper rc was a tamiya black foot which every time i hit a curb i`d brake the mount for the steering rod off the hub.. :doh: ..and have to wait for weeks for new uns from beatties[used to b in the horse-fair opposite peacocks...long long time ago...]....think i was around 11-12 ish.....36 now.....it was few years before i got my tamiya striker,i was 14 when i got that..now fully restored.. :yes:

Edited by evssv

it was a leccy tamiya must of got it when i was around 7. i cant remember the name of it, still got it up in my mums attic. Might dig it out next time im round and see if i can get it going. im using the tx that i got with it and it works perfectly with my new ones :) i love a 15 year old stick tx :D

Hi.My first rc was a firefox,2 speed gearbox & proportional steering.Got it in about 1981,when all the other kids had clap control cars .The first "proper" rc was a tamiya rough rider. Me & my dad had to build a complete front end cause the front suspension was too fragile & too narrow to let it corner at 5 mph. The only original parts was the gearbox & rear sus <_< .

Tamiya Hornet was my first proper RC back in 1986...ish?! first time out receiver batteries died and stacked it into curb flat out...was heartbroken, but got it repaired a few days later- was gutted found out my mum gave away all my old RC stuff about 10 years ago. Had a kyosho touring car to...never seen one the same since- it was a 1/10 aluminium chassis with a drop nosed porsche 911 turbo shell..would love to fin another one.