• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

1 hour ago, Grogg said:

I've now got the transmitter to bind with the receiver it came with fine, even got 4 wheel steering all setup, I was just hoping to use the Asbima receiver as it has an internal antenna, so I won't have to put a hole in the body for one, nor have one of those plastic tube sticking out of my RC car.  I have tried putting the jump cable into channel 4 to see if that would put the receiver into binding mode, but that doesn't do anything, and it turns out the link they sent me doesn't doesn't work, ot requires a password to view, witch they didn't give

That RX is the wrong protocol and will not work with a GT5! 

You don't need to put a hole through the body,  hide the ariel with the servo and ESC receiver wires (don't wrap it too tight as it is a coax cable) 

9 hours ago, MrCake said:

A day off so finally got to test the Big Rock with the Typhon shocks, and new CNHL 8000mah battery.

Very impressed with both items and unsurprisingly the run time was ages!

PXL_20230320_102206263.jpg

How much difference do the bigger shocks make?

5 hours ago, MrCake said:

I dont go mad with jumps but it all just seems more plush. when it comes to landing and that is without me adjusting them yet 

Yes, I could have probably tweaked the stock ones but fancied an upgrade even if the price is a bitter pill.

Nowt wrong with treating yourself! Did you consider any other shocks for it? I don't go mad for jumps but do find mine bottoms out at the front end. Think better shocks are the answer over thicker oil or more spacers but I do have to consider budget. Either that or I need to vastly improve my return to earth skills!

12 minutes ago, Rustic Ade said:

Nowt wrong with treating yourself! Did you consider any other shocks for it? I don't go mad for jumps but do find mine bottoms out at the front end. Think better shocks are the answer over thicker oil or more spacers but I do have to consider budget. Either that or I need to vastly improve my return to earth skills!

Stiffer springs along with shims?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rustic Ade said:

My research consisted of reading this thread https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-granite-senton-typhon-big-rock-crew-cab-and-vorteks-shock-upgrade.42570/ and I went for what was basically the easiest if not probably most expensive option.   These shocks sadly haven't helped my skills 🤣

Edited by MrCake
duff link
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, totlxtc said:

Stiffer springs along with shims?

I can measure spring dimensions but how do you quantify the stiffness of what I have against what I need?

17 hours ago, MrCake said:

My research consisted of reading this thread https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-granite-senton-typhon-big-rock-crew-cab-and-vorteks-shock-upgrade.42570/ and I went for what was basically the easiest if not probably most expensive option.   These shocks sadly haven't helped my skills 🤣

I'll have a look at that.

2 hours ago, Rustic Ade said:

I can measure spring dimensions but how do you quantify the stiffness of what I have against what I need?

Well you say you are bottoming out on the front. By adding stiffer springs you will increase the spring rate. This will mean you need more force to compress the springs meaning less chance of bottoming out. By adding a bump stop then this will limit the travel of the shock meaning it will cushion the hit rather than the body of the shock, also limiting the bottoming out. 

3 hours ago, totlxtc said:

Well you say you are bottoming out on the front. By adding stiffer springs you will increase the spring rate. This will mean you need more force to compress the springs meaning less chance of bottoming out. By adding a bump stop then this will limit the travel of the shock meaning it will cushion the hit rather than the body of the shock, also limiting the bottoming out. 

Sorry, didn't explain what I meant. If I look to replace the springs for stiffer ones, how do I know what mine are rated at so I can look for stiffer ones.

Could I use a short length of small silicone tube on the shock shaft as a bump stop?

1 hour ago, Rustic Ade said:

Sorry, didn't explain what I meant. If I look to replace the springs for stiffer ones, how do I know what mine are rated at so I can look for stiffer ones.

Could I use a short length of small silicone tube on the shock shaft as a bump stop?

Now I cant tell you about how to get other springs as im not so familiar with the model as others might be. Silicon tube or nitro fuel tube will do the job. Plenty of vids out there explaining how to 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SXFoxstar said:

Following everyone’s advice over the past couple of weeks I had this lovely package arrive today!

Thanks again for all of your help! I’ve already started to switch the Tamiya connectors out. My soldering needs some practise, it’s been a while!

48EC04E3-96B9-4227-A695-9C3B262E0648.jpeg

Ohhhhhh we were joking! You dont want to buy that junk!!!

Joking! Nice haul. Have fun 👍👍

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, totlxtc said:

Houston we have lift off! Flysky RX in and working a treat! All telemetry coming through loud and clear 🙂

IMG_2406.thumb.jpg.311ad221447d12bab89aa3707d021927.jpg

Inspired, going to sort mine out this weekend.

• Like 1