• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

Went out early morning  (to beat all 500 dog walkers) to test how my Jumpshot drove with a gyro.  Spent a few minutes messing with how much assist before thinking that it had made the handling worse.

Realised that the gyro was steering the wrong way and I didn't have the time or tools to get into the receiver to change it 🙄

Oh well, was a nice uninterrupted session still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrCake said:

Realised that the gyro was steering the wrong way and I didn't have the time or tools to get into the receiver to change it 🙄

I had something similar with mine list week. Took the car out for the 1st time with the new electrics in (including the new gyro receiver) and was saddened to not be able to make out any difference between it being turned on or off. After investigating more when I got home I realised that I'd mounted my receiver "vertically", so it was using body roll as the input to correct the steering (it may well have been back to front too). Anyway my new roll of double sided tape has turned up now so I can try and fix that mistake at some point and go try again.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, MrCake said:

Went out early morning  (to beat all 500 dog walkers) to test how my Jumpshot drove with a gyro.  Spent a few minutes messing with how much assist before thinking that it had made the handling worse.

Oh well, was a nice uninterrupted session still.

12 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

I had something similar with mine list week. Took the car out for the 1st time with the new electrics in (including the new gyro receiver) and was saddened to not be able to make out any difference between it being turned on or off. After investigating more when I got home I realised that I'd mounted my receiver "vertically", so it was using body roll as the input to correct the steering (it may well have been back to front too). Anyway my new roll of double sided tape has turned up now so I can try and fix that mistake at some point and go try again.

These posts are both of great interest as I’m about to get a gyro receiver and I’d have guaranteed that I’d fit it wrong - is it obvious which way is the right way?

19 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

is it obvious which way is the right way?

Given that at least two of us have gotten it wrong in the last week I would guess/hope it isn't. But I suspect that as long as the sensor is the right way up (in my case I think I need the label on the top) then I think it should be ok once calibrated no matter which edge you have pointing at the front of the car.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you can reverse the steering/throttle direction on mine from the transmitter if it isn't steering in the direction you want in use.

Edited by BigGinge

5 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

Very true, and that was what I was thinking. The batteries weren't overly hot though, just a bit warm. It was more the motor.

I already lowered the gearing as I went from 48T spur and 17T pinion to 64T and 19T 😞 I stupidly put my phone under the cover a few times to clock the speed. Got 27 mph out of it, which is about a 4/5mph drop, but have to bear in mind it had my iPhone stuck to it (fell out a few times 😅) so that's a canny bit of extra weight and the path I was flying down was a bit bumpy, so might have gained another 1/2mph.

So to clarify, these don't really work then?

Fastrax Aluminium Twin Fan Heatsink Unit (Blue) FAST36-1 (modelsport.co.uk)

2 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

It’s the DumboRC X6FG that I’ll be fitting, with a X6A Tx

That is what I have been using and now have 3 of those bound to a single DumboRC 6 channel.  Yes, so long as it is label side up then it should be fine.  Not sure if true but I have heard you ideally need it near the front of the car for better results.   Oh and make sure it is stuck down well so that  it is only reacting to the actual movements of the car and not the receiver moving about if loose.

On the X6FG you can reverse how it works by pushing the button on the receiver twice which is what I will need to do later.   I think I only needed to do it as for some reason the Jumpshot steering is reversed compared to the other 2 cars it is bound to.

*The good thing about the X6FG is that is works without any throttle input so you can just pick up the car to test it is doing it the right way (something I failed to do)

Edited by MrCake
Added more info
  • Like 1

For reference this is how I had mine when it was picking up chassis roll and then how it is now I’ve “fixed” it (I still haven’t check it’s working properly as it’s dinner time for the kids). 

03DBAE7D-DF34-482D-997A-B79909DD3045.jpeg

A78416D4-99D3-4C2B-974A-D00BA2AA77FF.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

So to clarify, these don't really work then?

Fastrax Aluminium Twin Fan Heatsink Unit (Blue) FAST36-1 (modelsport.co.uk)

They can only help keep the motor warm, but may just blast warm air at a warm service. They won't stop your battery cells cooking.

As mentioned earlier knocking the gearing down will help, and it will probably be my solution, or take regular looooong breaks in the shade on a hot day.

I think my problem was that I wasn't taking enough breaks, and when I did the car the car was still out in the midday sun so hardly cooling. (My tan looks great thanks. 😉 )

Ah well...

Ian...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Hell horn. said:

Took the flux out with my son and his cousin. Had a great time. And I ordered my next car. Something large and electric again. More news to follow later. 

My niece wanted to help me fix it and have a go with it. She loved messing with it. 

IMG-20210614-WA0008.jpg

IMG_20210614_192922.jpg

Do you lose loads of body pins? I keep losing loads 😄 how'd you fare running in that tall grass? 

Edited by Seminole81

12 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

Do you lose loads of body pins? I keep losing loads 😄 how'd you fare running in that tall grass? 

Lost loads of pins In this. So have gone for bigger pins for a tight fit. Seems to be working 

And long grass. No it did not go well in it. It got super hot very very fast in that stuff. And the steering was pants. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hell horn. said:

Lost loads of pins In this. So have gone for bigger pins for a tight fit. Seems to be working 

And long grass. No it did not go well in it. It got super hot very very fast in that stuff. And the steering was pants. 

Similar experience to me then with the long grass. Side note, we didn't break anything the other day when we were running! I made some chassis stiffeners out of carbon tubing which seems to have really helped out a lot as well.

Interesting about the bigger pins. Which ones did you go for if I might ask as I still seem to be losing loads. Tempted to try those magnetic ones, but I'm not convinced by them (haven't seen them in person to see what they're like).

Edited by Seminole81
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

Similar experience to me then with the long grass. Side note, we didn't break anything the other day when we were running! I made some chassis stiffeners out of carbon tubing which seems to have really helped out a lot as well.

Interesting about the bigger pins. Which ones did you go for if I might ask as I still seem to be losing loads. Tempted to try those magnetic ones, but I'm not convinced by them (haven't seen them in person to see what they're like).

Some random ones I found in my tool box. But I think 8th scale truggy Maybe. 

Can I get a picture of the carbon tube mod you did.  Be interested if I can make something similar. 

The pins are a lot bigger. Maybe even 5th scale ones. 

IMG_20210615_094131.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hell horn. said:

Some random ones I found in my tool box. But I think 8th scale truggy Maybe. 

Can I get a picture of the carbon tube mod you did.  Be interested if I can make something similar. 

The pins are a lot bigger. Maybe even 5th scale ones. 

IMG_20210615_094131.jpg

Yeah those are quite a bit bigger.

Yeah, of course. I've been meaning to upload it to the build thread/Quantum threads anyway. Basically just get some tubing 8mm outer diameter, 6mm internal (one I got Matte 3k Carbon Fiber Tube Length 1000mm All sizes OD From 8mm to 40mm Twill | eBay), and then some 6mm wall plugs (Wall Plugs 6mm x 28mm Drill Plug with Expansion & Anchor for Screw DIY Fixing | eBay), cut it to size (28cm if memory serves was about right), bang the wall plugs in the ends and fit it in. There's already holes in the diff/body post mounts for it 🙂 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2