• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

Well after todays unintended puddle jumping the damage is a burnt out receiver, which isn't too bad, so dropped in my spare and ordered a couple more. Cleaned down the Amp and oiled the wheel bearings but tomorrow I will grab a can of GT85 and lub everything

@Pistonhead Like the look of that X2! I rolled my 5ive a few times last weekend for the first time ever, they don't take it too well at speed be warned:lol: I lost half my shell and popped the rear shock shaft through the shock body in one piece, no idea that was even possible :lol: They do roll very realistically to scale though, still painful to watch :P

1 minute ago, bombercountynick said:

@Pistonhead Like the look of that X2! I rolled my 5ive a few times last weekend for the first time ever, they don't take it too well at speed be warned:lol: I lost half my shell and popped the rear shock shaft through the shock body in one piece, no idea that was even possible :lol: They do roll very realistically to scale though, still painful to watch :P

The first roll is always the worst lol, after that it's all downhill lol.

Love how stable these are, i'd have rolled my Baja numerous times doing those manoeuvres in that spot lol

7 hours ago, froggy8 said:

didnt think you could wd40 the bearings, will you be lubricating them after?

Hiya, yeah they were oiled afterwards, just used the wd40 to get rid of any moisture and clean them as they've been immersed in water quite a lot without any protection. I've always used the stuff and never had a bearing detereorate yet. I'd also packed some grease into the axle casing, and around where the hex piece mounts to the drive pin. Ran it today in all that water, and the grease is still there, bonus! 

3 minutes ago, t2boats said:

Hiya, yeah they were oiled afterwards, just used the wd40 to get rid of any moisture and clean them as they've been immersed in water quite a lot without any protection. I've always used the stuff and never had a bearing detereorate yet. I'd also packed some grease into the axle casing, and around where the hex piece mounts to the drive pin. Ran it today in all that water, and the grease is still there, bonus! 

i have always wondered which grease do you use for the bearings?

8 hours ago, t2boats said:

I've got a small tub of marine grease from work (which is used for bearings on sea water pumps I work with)..

is it this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARLUBE-AQUASLIP-MARINE-WATER-PROOF-GREASE-PREVENTS-SALT-WATER-CORROSION-500ml-/112267512009?hash=item1a23aa48c9:g:m6YAAOSw44BYeMiV

Our lubricants in work are supplied by Castrol Oils and Shell at the minute, so its specific to what role in what piece of machinery it's applied to. They can't be bought over the counter, but the link you've put up would give good protection to an RC if it were to go for a dip! Looks like that grease can be used on bearings for boat trailers. I used a marine grease from Shell (it's greeny/blue in colour) which I used on the Outback, and after its long crawl around the quarry yesterday through all the water, the grease is still there :D

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, t2boats said:

Our lubricants in work are supplied by Castrol Oils and Shell at the minute, so its specific to what role in what piece of machinery it's applied to. They can't be bought over the counter, but the link you've put up would give good protection to an RC if it were to go for a dip! Looks like that grease can be used on bearings for boat trailers. I used a marine grease from Shell (it's greeny/blue in colour) which I used on the Outback, and after its long crawl around the quarry yesterday through all the water, the grease is still there :D

cheers mate i will get that grease i linked when i need some :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Very much so!

Possibly a bit more suited to the Yetis over the SCX10/Scout, but it'd be great for just about anything, apart from petrols.

Out of interest how long is it from home? Just curious how far people would travel to use their rc's at a decent place? I drive about a half hour each way to get some decent terrain up on the moor, not sure I could be arrrsed to go much further, now I've got the little ones.

46 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Out of interest how long is it from home? Just curious how far people would travel to use their rc's at a decent place? I drive about a half hour each way to get some decent terrain up on the moor, not sure I could be arrrsed to go much further, now I've got the little ones.

I travel around 40mins up to where my mate lives, next to an old disused slate quarry. Excellent variable terrain, nice flat open smooth area aswell as rocky inclines and big water puddles n streams. 

Or I can walk down the lane behind my house to another great bashing spot, more woodland sort of thing with a flowing stream through it. When I ran a club a few yrs back, that was approx 30mins drive away on an old airfield, but sadly no more :crying:  I am looking to travel further afield should I wish to race my large scale rc's again at club level..

If I had my own field attached to this property (like it should be!) then I'd without shadow of doubt have my own track, very convenient! :D

15 hours ago, Pistonhead said:

The first roll is always the worst lol, after that it's all downhill lol.

Love how stable these are, i'd have rolled my Baja numerous times doing those manoeuvres in that spot lol

I Rolled mine 4/5 times last weekend and they were at full chat :lol:. I've been properly anal with mine not wanting to get it dirty, but once it rolled over that once I was like a man possessed, drove it like i'd stole it for the next hour and caused utter carnage :lol:

You're right though, they are fantastic bits of kit when you use them in the right environment, the way they slide around like a proper truck is uncanny!!!

Had to stitch mine back together... missed out on a shell that went for £26 on eBay yesterday, DOH :rolleyes: And apparently the KM shell doesn't fit to the losi cage!

stitched.jpg

18 minutes ago, Noj said:

DS red o rings and green slime fella, only sure fire way to prevent leaks... I'll be rebuilding the rail shocks with these before fitting them.

Has Nige got any? I was going to email him in a min, it's doesn't show the stock status for item for some reason??

http://www.freeprawnracing.co.uk/darksoul-o-rings-for-ds-vvc-ss-2.0-shock-shafts.html