• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

Painted the body shell for the Losi 8eight T2.0 using a ‘marbling’ technique I thought I’d try out. I also had a go at framing the windows white. This was a delicate job, and it went okay. There is some paint bleed in a few spots, but if you squint it look the nuts 😅

Ive also put some belted road tyres on it as I’m planning to do some speed runs once done with the hyper 7 (so could be a while).

1580C890-9643-4CC3-82F8-A6EB17B0BFA0.jpeg

61C385FF-5439-438A-B7EF-56065C98DBB2.jpeg

F5AFB764-7C4C-4B2A-B884-54E7815C8164.jpeg

A0D3351A-C70E-4DA4-B4A1-8F05526BFFE8.jpeg

9766095B-3515-4049-9A0A-CC3A2AF9BCE0.jpeg

A7DEF1F3-86BD-46D6-AD0B-F763FD294B81.jpeg

Top job 👍 That looks awesome 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

That shell looks brilliant; any more detail to share on how you did the paint job?

Thank you! I must admit, I was pleased with the effect having not done it before. Was also an experiment with the ‘fade’ but both are relatively easy to achieve…

the marble effect requires 2 colours. First is applied heavy, then quickly lay a thin/soft plastic sheet over painted area. Use a paint brush to push into all the nooks and crannies, then peel off. This process lifts a large amount of paint from the shell. Leave to dry and then apply the 2nd colour as you normally would in a few thinner coats. 

I also did a fade at the same time. I sprayed from the front of the shell towards the rear, moving from left to right. Put the paint on thinner as you move towards the area you want to change colour. Then apply your other colour over the entire shell in thin coats. 

YouTube is full of examples of each process. I watched a load then made my own choices as there’s several ways of achieving the results.

Edited by Ant.p
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

the marble effect requires 2 colours. First is applied heavy, then quickly lay a thin/soft plastic sheet over painted area. Use a paint brush to push into all the nooks and crannies, then peel off. This process lifts a large amount of paint from the shell. Leave to dry and then apply the 2nd colour as you normally would in a few thinner coats. 

I can totally see this in the patterns now that you have said how you’ve created them; a very cool bit of painting process (though one I can easily see myself overthinking if I were to ever give it a try.

Do you need anything special for the plastic sheet or is something like the side of a thin carrier bag ok for doing this?

9 hours ago, BigGinge said:

I can totally see this in the patterns now that you have said how you’ve created them; a very cool bit of painting process (though one I can easily see myself overthinking if I were to ever give it a try.

Do you need anything special for the plastic sheet or is something like the side of a thin carrier bag ok for doing this?

I thought the same. You do need to work quickly so that the paint doesn’t get a chance to skin up.  You don’t need to panic though. Just have everything to hand.

Inconsistency adds to the effect, so just gently press the plastic so it’s in contact everywhere. Use a paintbrush to press where fingers can’t get. 

as for the type of plastic. The more flexible the better. A lightweight bin liner is what I used.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tomr said:

Finished the R1 build 

290DB42C-109C-4D41-9D08-FB979ED2EBF2.thumb.jpeg.df31827171df703115e18257e4c083fb.jpeg

Looks great!

I’m still not sold on crawlers in general, but if (a big if!) I was to get one, these look to be most up my street. 

• Like 1

Crashed the yeti into a tree, wasnt going fast, just a light bump on the front left tire and killed the servo 😠 first powerhd servo to pop, will be putting a servo saver on next time, hopefully gears from extronix servos will fit.
My fault for showing off infront of parents going wow look at that to their 3 year olds 😛

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Repaired the Vantage today (slipper coupler replacement) so it should be good for its second run.

The first run destroyed the spoiler so today I also made a protective wing to save the suspension housings. I used the following, lol:

1.  A seat belt trim from an old car.

2.  Sound deadening hard sponge from a campervan.

3.  Two small car suspension bushes (one black, one yellow).

4.  .......and bolted it all together.

Looks OK TBH and should do a good job

......and it cost be nothing to make :good:

Screenshot_20211230-193233_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b9815b94a0c7d31926ec3311f76ada08.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-193240_Gallery.thumb.jpg.959d4c26f0363bd4ad42835f593eb4a6.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

Spent 6hrs on NYE stripping the man cave after opening the shed, only to  discover layers of mould on the shelves. Now I understand why MDF is utter rubbish as it soaked up all the moisture. Off to the tip on Tuesday! 

AB049-C86-C334-4418-BCB1-39395-B63470-F.

It serves a purpose, but has its limitations! You can get moisture resistant MDF but WBP ply would be a better option if you plan to replace and is an unheated room.

• Like 2