• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How Nitro Engines Work

glypo

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's nothing wrong with it. The diagram/animation is simply showing only 1 cycle, not the upcoming cycle which would be following it. So your only seeing half the story so it's easier to understand.

This is a great example of the whole 2 stroke cycle, but if your a novice it'd take a bit of working out before you got what it's about.

twostrokerx6.gif

But obviously it isn't an RC 2-Stroke.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the explanations - this makes understanding really simple....

However - I still have a question. My understanding is that the glowplug causes ignition on the first stroke (or is it first few strokes). After that the ignition of the fuel happens because it is compressed by the momentum of the cylinder and ignites because of the pressure and the temperature of the cylinder. If the glowplug is always involved then I don't understand how the engine works once you take the glowplug power supply off.

Have I got it right?

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks for the explanations - this makes understanding really simple....

However - I still have a question. My understanding is that the glowplug causes ignition on the first stroke (or is it first few strokes). After that the ignition of the fuel happens because it is compressed by the momentum of the cylinder and ignites because of the pressure and the temperature of the cylinder. If the glowplug is always involved then I don't understand how the engine works once you take the glowplug power supply off.

Have I got it right?

Thanks,

Neil

The glow plug stays lite all the time mate, simply because these engines even tick over at 4000rpm and more so the plug doesn't have chance to go out, the faster the rpm the brighter it glows, simple init ;)

marty :)

:D Got it - thanks. As the electrical power is only on when the engine is started I assume that the plug glows due to the fuel burn and temp within the combustion chamber once the starter is removed.

The glow plug stays lite all the time mate, simply because these engines even tick over at 4000rpm and more so the plug doesn't have chance to go out, the faster the rpm the brighter it glows, simple init ;)

marty :)

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...