• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Tamiya 45th Anniversary 934

Kpowell911

Armed with my recently sold E Revo cash I attempted to find the best VALUE 45th Anniversary 934. Not the cheapest, but the best VALUE. If I went for brand new, Id regret opening it. If I bought a minter, Id regret hacking up the arms to achieve the correct wheelbase.  I settled on a built, but un painted one that was a bit dusty. It appeared built well, everything was there. The shell was unpainted. It also (going back to the value for money thing) included:

Tamiya Hop Up Dampers (#49099)

A nice Savox 1267 Black edition Servo

A Hobbywing Max 10 Esc/Motor combo

A Futaba RX. 

So going back to the value for money, I could sell the electronics as I dont need them, get a chunk of change back, paint the shell to the best of my ability and modify the wheelbase. Perfect right????

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

Today it arrived. Let me preface this. The seller was brilliant. He was a credit to the hobby. Theres issues, he quickly sorted things. Not one of us is perfect, thing sometimes go wrong, and issues arise. How we deal with those issues is what matters and he has rectified this to the best of his ability. Im happy with the resolution (partial refund) and we go again. On the off chance youre reading this, thank you for youre co operation and the below is not a reflection on you. These things happen, have happened to me when Ive been the seller, and Id like to think I rectified my issues then. 

Basically, it arrived damaged. It could have been packaged better, there was just parcel paper around the box, no bubble wrap, which was taped to the box (which pulled off part of the box despite me being ultra careful.  So the box is a bit bashed, only an issue because the box itself is beatifil being an anniversary....

nabXJkf.jpeg

blNAGtg.jpeg

vVyJYtx.jpeg

SM1slFx.jpeg

Nothing major but unfortunatley the bodyshell has also being bashed about, and is quite scuffed inside as a result

Very hard to photograph but

tAWZKwQ.jpeg

WRjm3od.jpeg

Now obviously it could have been packaged better, and Royal Mail couldve took more car, but its sorted. Water under the bridge. A new shell is avaliable, which the seller kindly found for me, and this just means I HAVE to own a mint 30th Anniversary now.......

• Like 3

Here is the wheelbase modification required. 

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=129718&id=9813

Why Tamiya did this THREE TIMES I dont know. The TA02W was never the right chassis. 

For reference this is the 30th Anniversary with the correct 230mm wheelbase. Unfortunately these are worth a fortune now. If youre interested I suggest you have a read through this thread! This IMO is the best Tamiya kit ever:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/89436-30th-anniversary-porsche-934-build-49400/

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

I have had the feeling this model was on your radar for a while, i have to say on one hand im so gutted for you that its arrived in less than perfect condition, but credit to you for keeping it calm and dealing with this in such a cool manner, take a pat on the back, will you be getting the 50th model

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

I have had the feeling this model was on your radar for a while, i have to say on one hand im so gutted for you that its arrived in less than perfect condition, but credit to you for keeping it calm and dealing with this in such a cool manner, take a pat on the back, will you be getting the 50th model

50th will be in 2026. Id like to say yes Ill get it regardless but who knows whats around the corner!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

To be fair Im not usually that calm but the seller seemed very genuine and I got enough back to buy a new bodyshell (which I initially didnt know existed, and was my main annoyance. The seller found me the shell and here we are. Its also bought it under budget once I sell the electronics

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

Ive painted the shell up and truth be told its ok, the cutting isnt great but thats not on me.  So Ive ordered a genuine replacement bodyshell which ill keep clean. The decals arent obtainable. So ill keep the genuine ones sealed, and Ive ordered

reproduction decals. Ill add the reproduction decals to the shell Ive painted, and ill have a brand new bodyshell and decals in the box. The plastics Ill have to "share" but thats fine. The bad news is that cost me a touch more than the refund I got. Oh well haha. Still looking for wheels....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Glad the shell is looking ok mate :good:

Do the scuffs show through or has the paint hidden it ?

Ive not took the plastic off yet, its more the front splitter isnt straight and if I cut anymore its going to leave no splitter lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Soooo......

I am now the proud owner of a brand new clear Porsche 934 Bodyshell. I have put this in the box, still sealed. 

I have a set of re production decals from RC Decals. They arrived today and theyre great quality and pre cut. This means I can put the genuine decals in the box with the new clear shell, and guilt free, finish this shell. 

It was badly cut out, and quite badly marked. Ill be the first to admit Im not great at bodyshells. In fact, Im awful, but knowing I have spare meant I could crack on and make a start. Not finished, far from perfect, but considering it was going in the bin......

Replica decals:

7YHC3V3.jpeg

Brilliant quality, pre cut, but thicker and in a different order, and without numbers. Luckily I had the genuine ones as a reference.

Truth be told, not my best work. I thinking knowing it wont ever be perfect made me rush a bit but hey!

The rear bumper was INCREDIBLY difficult to make look good, its made up of lots of different shaped pieces of decals. Honest answer, if youre painting one of these shells, Id advise masking and painting the bumpers instead of using the decals. 

Alot of people put bodylines on their RCs. I dont normally like this, but this shell NEEDS it. Anyone know how its done? Have I missed them on the included decals? Theyre on the box art?

Ive also ordered the MST 501 Gold Wheels.

I regret not smoking the windows, but I didnt want to sink loads into paint incase it was a none starter. Ive not painted the wing yet either. Itll be my first time using TS Paint too.

How it stands at the moment, see what I mean about body shut lines?

8yxBpKw.jpeg

Fits in quite well

iONRmFV.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

Whats hiding behind the evo5?

i think the subaru and the merc need to swap places

An old school Acoms Techniplus 27mhz stick controller haha. 

I want to sell the Merc and Evo to be honest. Well definitely the Merc and maybe get a new shell on the Evo. I only bought it for the chassis originally. The chassis now sits under one of the Cosworths. The Evo bizarrely had a brand new TA02 chassis but a used battered body. And the Merc just doesnt really match anything, although I have actually ran it in the real world and hit 14mph with the MSC/Silver Can

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

An old school Acoms Techniplus 27mhz stick controller haha. 

I want to sell the Merc and Evo to be honest. Well definitely the Merc and maybe get a new shell on the Evo. I only bought it for the chassis originally. The chassis now sits under one of the Cosworths. The Evo bizarrely had a brand new TA02 chassis but a used battered body. And the Merc just doesnt really match anything, although I have actually ran it in the real world and hit 14mph with the MSC/Silver Can

Is the acoms green? I have 1 of those! On the subject of old tx do you remember the futaba attack r and sr, when the sr first come out it was like nothing else white in colour and had leds instead of the battery gauge?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

Is the acoms green? I have 1 of those! On the subject of old tx do you remember the futaba attack r and sr, when the sr first come out it was like nothing else white in colour and had leds instead of the battery gauge?

Its just this one, nothing special, I have about 8 of them for various runners

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176070186566?hash=item28fe99d646:g:MPUAAOSwJCZlafFE