• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pulled some cars out of the attic

wolfie1

Your Tamiya Alfa is a TL01. You can easily get most parts as I restored one recently. However, due to the limited gearing options, Id not recommend goong too crazy with a motor. Also bear in mind youll need a shotgun shaped lipo. Mine ran hot with a brushed 23t on 2s lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Your Tamiya Alfa is a TL01. You can easily get most parts as I restored one recently. However, due to the limited gearing options, Id not recommend goong too crazy with a motor. Also bear in mind youll need a shotgun shaped lipo. Mine ran hot with a brushed 23t on 2s lol

i do remember changing it all to ball bearing a few years ago and fitting an esc and a modified motor but it wasnt fast at all and since i was running on nimh battery it lasted 10 mins, i may go the 2s route and try again, i do have the old esc that came out of the trx4, that would work nicely in there

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

Nice cars mate and looking forward to seeing the nitro to leccy conversion :good:

I just left the nitro  in the loft, the engine has only had about 40mins of running so its basically still new

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

i do remember changing it all to ball bearing a few years ago and fitting an esc and a modified motor but it wasnt fast at all and since i was running on nimh battery it lasted 10 mins, i may go the 2s route and try again, i do have the old esc that came out of the trx4, that would work nicely in there

I think I got mine to 25mph ish with a 1060 ESC/RZ Motor/2s lipo

The TL01 was a versatile chassis, a pretty common build is cutting the chassis down to M chassis length and then fitting M05 arms and CVD to create a 4wd  M chassis. This is the only picture I've got of mine. 

20230702_095118.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

For the TL-01 chassis am i right in saying that its a 0.8 pinion with a 3mm shaft?

0.6 Pinion, bare in mind theres only 3 pinion choices (19, 21, 23 I think). Motor shaft will more than likely be 3mm shaft. Theres the speed tuned gear set available but dont get it if youre using a lower turn motor. 

Edited by Kpowell911

46 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

0.6 Pinion, bare in mind theres only 3 pinion choices (19, 21, 23 I think). Motor shaft will more than likely be 3mm shaft. Theres the speed tuned gear set available but dont get it if youre using a lower turn motor. 

Brilliant good to know, just now its on the middle 1 so must be 21, will get a 23 for it to gear it up a bit 🙂

That Tamiya Monster Racer is really nice, they are quite collectable. I don't think that chassis has ever been re-issued so parts are probably getting hard to find. They are desirable though so well worth hanging on to. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMB said:

That Tamiya Monster Racer is really nice, they are quite collectable. I don't think that chassis has ever been re-issued so parts are probably getting hard to find. They are desirable though so well worth hanging on to. 

Oh thats interesting to know! Maybe i shouldnt run it then and just leave it as is then

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

Oh thats interesting to know! Maybe i shouldnt run it then and just leave it as is then

I'm a bit of a collector so I don't run a lot of my older cars, I like to have them polished up and displayed. It might be risky running yours as the plastic can get brittle over time especially if stored in a loft (sadly I know this too well). Would be a nice thing to keep until Tamiya re-release that chassis which is a possibility. 

• Like 1