• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Alex's Tamiya M chassis shenanigans

Alex97

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

I think Im giing to look for an M Chassis soon 🤔 M-01 Ideally though!

The bath tube chasiss are really cool however parts are non existent and clean examples are hard to find. 

The shelfer has received a few upgrades that I've pinched off of the other chassis I've built. 

I think I've got this right however the upgrades are...

TRF shocks + upgraded top seal

Anti roll bars 

Motor heatsink 

Carbonfibre front and rear shock towers 

Hollow gear shafts 

Reinforced gears 

M05 out drives + diff gears 

CVDs 

Light weight rear axles 

Alloy rear hub 

M05 front hubs 

M05 V2 carbon arms 

High strength servo saver + metal horn 

Metal servo mounts 

Blue tamiya turnbuckles (on order) 

Carbonfibre servo brace 

Blue tamiya ball studs 

Quick release battery tray

Light weight battery trays (35mm m3 stand offs) (on order) 

Metal hex's (on order) 

I've still got a few more parts I want to add but I think there isn't a great deal more left for me to buy, the spec is above a M03R all bar the alloy front hubs 

20230602_204221.jpg

20230602_204228.jpg

20230602_204233.jpg

20230602_204239.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 06/11/2023 at 19:46, Lone-wolf said:

on the M chassis, i picked up the hopped up M-06 and ran into some hicups that had me thinking of selling it but i may reconsider, possibly get a new shell and some wheels that will work with it, i removed the brushless motor and fitted a stock silver can

The M06 was never that popular and not something I'd personally want, the M08 is much improved. 

M01 to M06 are at their best with a 15 to 21t brushed motor or even a lowish turn brushless one, anything else is too much IMO. 

Edited by Alex97
  • Like 1

• Alex97 changed the title to Alex's Tamiya M chassis shenanigans

I've renamed this topic to cover everything M chassis related. 

Tamiya do make a 4wd M chassis however I'm not a fan of it, I saw that a few people had trimmed down TL01s and added M chassis arms and drive shafts. All of the parts were  pieced together from the Tamiya GOAT (Plaza Japan) so it was also super inexpensive. I did plan on making this into a little rally car which is why it's so high however I'm having 2nd throughts about that. 

The spec (if I can remember every)- 

• CVDs
  • One piece M05 arms 
  • CVA shocks 
  • Carbon fibre tower braces
  • Bearings 
  • M05ra hubs 
  • Speed turned gears 
  • Carbon fibre gear shafts 
  • 3racing servo saver 
  • Quick release battery holder (not fitted) 

As per most builds we always end up pinching electronics from other builds, I've got a 1060 waiting to be dropped into this. 

20231112_144500.jpg

20231112_144538.jpg

20231112_144629.jpg

20231112_144707.jpg

• Like 2

M03 update- 

The chassis is now finished, there isn't really anymore upgrades I can add to this build. 

Motor wise I'm still not sure if I even plan to run this car however I'm temporarily fitted a 1060 ESC that I had kicking around. 

In line with the original box art this car will be dark blue, I've got the paint however I'm still debating which body to go for (if only tamiya would  re release the original mini one). That's looking like a Christmas job. 

20231112_150356.jpg

20231112_150339.jpg

20231112_150255.jpg

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

The original Mini Monte Carlo was a lovely body but hard to find in good condition, im now looking at the Phat bodies 300R Lotus shell for my M06 but not fully decided just yet

Phat do some really nice body shells however the detailing on the mini isn't great. It's a shame someone can't cast an original tamiya one! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2023 at 17:28, Alex97 said:

To join the other M chassis cars I've built an M05 V2 R for a bit of club racing. 

I'm just waiting on the rear camber links to finish it off. Other than the chassis and shock towers it's very similar to the M03 in terms of parts so thankfully I already had a lot of bits either BNIB or in my parts box. I've been pretty reserved with the spec as upgrades are almost impossible to find for these which is odd as Tamiya are still releasing parts for this kit. 

Upgrades are - 

Bearings 

V2 chassis 

V2 reinforced wish bones 

Carbon gear shafts 

Reinforced gears 

CVDS 

Servo saver 

Metal steering assembly

CVA shocks 

Adjustable links + blue ball studs 

Carbon fibre shock towers 

Low friction king pins 

Carbon body support

Blue servo link 

The battery straps are upside down as I'll be running a shorty and have a 3D printed bracket. 

Now that I've got three M-chassis cars I think it would be rude not too have them all as original minis. I've already got the red one already painted up and the M03 is destined to be dark blue so this is gonna be British racing green! 

20231124_103936.jpg

20231124_172027.jpg

20231124_172017.jpg

20231124_172000.jpg

20231124_171951.jpg

Love this thread so far, I have a M04L BMW Z3 M on top of my wardrobe pretty much untouched sine 2006. All this is making me want to get it back on the road with a few upgrades obviously lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, RCpete said:

Love this thread so far, I have a M04L BMW Z3 M on top of my wardrobe pretty much untouched sine 2006. All this is making me want to get it back on the road with a few upgrades obviously lol. 

Thank you

The M04s are very rare now and maintain a good 2nd hand value. M04 replacement chassis parts are like hens teeth to find as they were discontinued before the M03s. Pretty much all of the M03/5 upgrades will carry across. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The M chassis family is growing, although the M07 was returned as I only planned to do the odd bit of club racing the M05 will fill that void however I felt that an M01 was needed. When I saw a tidy roller crop up on Facebook MP for £30 it was worth a punt, hopefully it should arrive before Christmas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lone-wolf said:

I still need to decide the future of my M chassis, no rush

Some say that one is never enough. I'm contemplating turning the TL01m into a lancia stratos. With the low bonnet of the body the TL01m would be ideal. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yorkshireman said:

Have you been watching clips of the RAC rally? That Stratos sounded awesome...been thinking of a build myself, maybe using the hpi rs4 chassis though 🤔 

I've watched the odd video here and there but group B was before my time. I'd love to go to Scandinavia and watch a rally stage one day. 

• Like 2