• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Castle Monster X / 2200kv combo not playing ball

Darren Frosty

6 minutes ago, Redback said:

I bought an castle esc from a mate, uk based, still would have to go to the usa, i bought one from a uk store, still had to wait weeks for a replacment.

Yeah they all go back to the US - although the difference is that if you buy from a UK store, you usually save the shipping to the US. 

Certainly £45 is better than £300 for a new ESC, but £0 is better than £45. 😉 😛

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Yeah they all go back to the US - although the difference is that if you buy from a UK store, you usually save the shipping to the US. 

Certainly £45 is better than £300 for a new ESC, but £0 is better than £45. 😉 😛

Yes and No, i bought from a uk store that sends it to the uk distributor who sends it to the usa, who sends replacements back to the distributor and then back to the store and back to you.
You pay half the postage basically by not having to send it back to your mate in the usa...
But sending a 300£ esc without insurance even within the uk is risky thus the high cost from the consumer end.
Cant afford to ship back, due to buying secound hand is a burn.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

update: sent it back to my mate in the US to process the return as Caslte confirmed the warranty is not transferable, but the warranty would be honoured if my friend did it. Turns out the timing on the motor was off on one sensor and the FETs (whatever they are) were not opening and closing properly on the ESC so it had no chance really.

Also after speaking to Castle they have agreed to ship it direct to me to save my mate any more trouble, which I thought was really good of them.

The guy who I am dealing with said that it might have been caused by me running 4500mah packs, not the 5000mah that they recommend (bigger ones don't fit the stock Radix battery tray)

He said to run it for a couple of minutes then pull the data and check battery ripple, if it is over 2.2v then fit a cap pack and that will sort it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darren Frosty said:

update: sent it back to my mate in the US to process the return as Caslte confirmed the warranty is not transferable, but the warranty would be honoured if my friend did it. Turns out the timing on the motor was off on one sensor and the FETs (whatever they are) were not opening and closing properly on the ESC so it had no chance really.

Also after speaking to Castle they have agreed to ship it direct to me to save my mate any more trouble, which I thought was really good of them.

The guy who I am dealing with said that it might have been caused by me running 4500mah packs, not the 5000mah that they recommend (bigger ones don't fit the stock Radix battery tray)

He said to run it for a couple of minutes then pull the data and check battery ripple, if it is over 2.2v then fit a cap pack and that will sort it.

Sounds like great customer service to be fair to them! Hopefully you get it back soon 

• Like 1

Yeah I always hoped that Castle would come through like they have but because the way in which I purchased the combo was unusual I was worried I might get slightly shafted but no, spot on Castle!

They wouldn't even take money off me for return postage which I thought was outstanding as it's going to cost them more for international shipping.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darren Frosty said:

You're right. Good idea.

Recommendations? I know bugger all about them but I have seen a Castle one that I assume you solder in then heat shrink it in place?

I'd go with the recommended cap pack by castle - it's likely more expensive, but i personally don't know anything about cap packs and couldn't be arsed to read into it either. Fire and forget.

The only really important thing to note is that the cap pack has to be soldered to the ESC as close as possible. Castle says "within three inches" on the cables coming off of the ESC, otherwise they don't work.

CC-Cap-Pack-Installation.gif?dc=20160622

• Like 1