• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Castle Monster X / 2200kv combo not playing ball

Darren Frosty

as above, it's nearly new and worked great up until a couple of runs ago. it basically will not run with the sensor cable plugged in.

Initially it was showing a start fail error (2 beeps) when turned on, Castle advised to to turn start power up which I did, and it now doesn't do that start fail error but it still won't run with the sensor cable plugged in.

Unplug the sensor cable and it will operate but still doesn't seem particularly happy about it.

any ideas?

What Bajadre said. I had a similar thing with my MMX8s with castle motor, had the A and C wires switched - didn't even know that they were labelled.

At the very least, worth a check. 

• Like 1

bad, I double checked all connections and they were fine, I even reseated the sensor harness, gave everything a dab of dielectric grease as suggested.

it ran on the stand for about 5 seconds with the sensor cable attached then it died but the ESC lights were saying that it was outputting correctly but when I pulled the data log it showed that 100% trigger pull was only being interpreted as 25%(ish) output with zero rpm on the motor.

then I unplugged the sensor lead and it ran but didn't seem quite right. took it out for a real worl test and it did a third of a pack before packing up and make constant notes (the 4 or 5 descending notes in a row) no idea what that error code is! I was too ****** off to look by then.

3 hours ago, Darren Frosty said:

bad, I double checked all connections and they were fine, I even reseated the sensor harness, gave everything a dab of dielectric grease as suggested.

it ran on the stand for about 5 seconds with the sensor cable attached then it died but the ESC lights were saying that it was outputting correctly but when I pulled the data log it showed that 100% trigger pull was only being interpreted as 25%(ish) output with zero rpm on the motor.

then I unplugged the sensor lead and it ran but didn't seem quite right. took it out for a real worl test and it did a third of a pack before packing up and make constant notes (the 4 or 5 descending notes in a row) no idea what that error code is! I was too ****** off to look by then.

Got a pic of the esc and sensor harness?, my esc came with the harness plugged in backwards(esc side), no idea how it got through QC, but yeah, that was the issue with mine.

Well I've spoken to Castle and they want the lot back for testing, which is going to be a right pain because my mate bought it in the US much cheaper than over here and brought it with him when he came to London at Christmas.

I have to fill in an RMA which involves attaching the receipt, which I can get but it's not going to be in my name.

Does a 12 month warranty cover the product even if the product has been given/sold on to someone else or not?

I need to be careful here or I feel I'm going to be getting shafted over a very expensive ESC and motor!

11 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Could you not fill in an RMA with your mates name ?

Or maybe get him to do it ?

i was going to suggest his friend to fill it out too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Hey Froggy 

is that great minds think alike or fools seldom differ :rofl:

yep great minds mate 🙂 

2 hours ago, Darren Frosty said:

Well I've spoken to Castle and they want the lot back for testing, which is going to be a right pain because my mate bought it in the US much cheaper than over here and brought it with him when he came to London at Christmas.

I have to fill in an RMA which involves attaching the receipt, which I can get but it's not going to be in my name.

Does a 12 month warranty cover the product even if the product has been given/sold on to someone else or not?

I need to be careful here or I feel I'm going to be getting shafted over a very expensive ESC and motor!

i can imagine it will be fine if you put your mates name in the form as stormbringer suggested too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darren Frosty said:

'warranty non transferable' brilliant. guess whose getting boned then!

This isnt true, castle will absoulutely warrenty it.
Their service is great, the turn around time isnt great as it goes off to USA, so is over 2 week turn around.

8 hours ago, Darren Frosty said:

I'll get pics tonight, but I had all that off and back on again so I am sure it's not flipped.

Check the white cable matches the white dot on the sensor harness, mine was off by 1 plug and backwards.

Edited by Redback

Hello, I just wanted to chime in and say this is the exact thing that happened to my Mamba Monster X. Some internal component in the speed controller had gone bad and it had to be replaced under warranty. Unfortunately it took about a month to get the replacement, but it was around Christmas time. It sounds like it is likely that my speed controller was in the same batch as yours. The new one works great though and seems to have a bit more output than the old one too.

Tbf, especially with Castle that's not always an option. I had to order the MMX8s/1650 from Amain as well, since it has been out of stock for basically a year in the UK at that point. 

I do agree, it sucks, but sometimes there's just not many other options, other than going  with a HW system which depending on the application doesn't do it. 

2 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

This is why I never buy electronics abroad. With the dollar how it is now its just not worth it. I had a Sidewinder Id bought from Tower go bad out the box. At that price it wasnt worth the hassle of the repair 😕

I bought an castle esc from a mate, uk based, still would have to go to the usa, i bought one from a uk store, still had to wait weeks for a replacment.
The warrenty is solid and if its a 300£ esc 45£ is nothing than spending another 300£.
GG castle and wheelspin and the uk castle distributors for making up for the wonky USA castle QA 😛