• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Radio with quick access to steering dual rate

jjl5590

Hi all,

I've pretty much always used a Radiolink RC6GS radio for the past 5 years... and it's great. I love how easy it is to use, all the functions it has and most importantly 500m range.

However, now that I'm incorporating more speedruns into my bash sesh, I'd like to find a radio that has quick access to turning down the steering dual rate. The Spektrum DX2e has this functionality in the form of an easy access knob at the front of the remote, however it has terrible range so don't want to use that.

Another suggested radio are the ones from Dumbo RC, I'm told they have great range. However I cannot see a way to turn down the steering rate on those.

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, walkbythesea said:

This is a stock photo off the web, the newer ones are labelled where this one isn’t. 

The left hand knobs are steering trim and D/R, the right hand are throttle - all under a flap on the top of the Tx

Ah cool! I didn't realise the Dumbo radios had that feature... Might have to order a set pronto...

image.png.6907c22b3b4be3214bfb87c9af113da4.pngA

Are you sure you aren't confusing it with EPA?

36 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

one thing i love about my Futaba 3PRKA  the dual rate sliders right under the steer wheel makes adjusting so much easier on the fly 🙂

How is the range with that Futaba?

Edited by jjl5590

I seem to be banging on about this one a fair bit this last week but the flysky GT5 had a control for adjusting the steering dual rate that sits just under the thumb of your throttle hand so you can make changes while you’re still driving. 

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Just curious really. What benefit does adjusting dual rate have on speed runs?

It's to reduce the steering input on high-speed straight

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jjl5590 said:

Are you sure you aren't confusing it with EPA?

41 minutes ago, jjl5590 said:

It's to reduce the steering input on high-speed straight

Steering Dual Rate

Steering dual rate can also be thought of as turning ratio (think 1:1 vehicles).  Most RTR radios have a knob titled “Steering Dual Rate” which gives you the ability to control the amount of travel both left and right on the steering servo. This gives RTR radios a way to control the end point adjustment of the servo equally on both sides. Most upgraded radios have a separate menu for end point adjustment on both sides of the servo travel (left and right). Steering dual rate also helps to adjust your vehicle when the track dictates.

Dialing the dual rate knob down (counter-clockwise) will help when doing higher speed straight-aways limiting the amount of steering travel so small steering input will not result in hard turns. Dialing the dual rate knob up (clockwise) will help in tight and technical tracks where speeds are lower.

http://www.thercnetwork.com/rc-cars/rc-beginner-series-steering-trim-and-dual-rate/

Dialling down the steering response for speed running is exactly how I use it. 

• Like 1

So on the DumboRC set for my cars I use that same knob to limit the travel to adjust the throw for the  end point, but then keep dialling down the travel when I want to further limit the steering throw for speed running. 

That’s how it is with most non-programmable sets in this context in my understanding. 

True “dual rates” are switchable on detents, so in one position you get 100% and another you get say 40% for different conditions - but really I find you only really need that in flight conditions where you need the aircraft to perform differently say at speed or takeoff/landing for example.   Likewise true programmable EPA will allow you to set end points asymmetrically for different circumstances, but that’s not really required in cars either. 

So for example, with my Radiolink;

- There is an EPA function which allows me to set my steering servo throw, so it does not exceed past the point at which it encounters resistance from reaching the end of the throw. The steering servo will operate at full speed throughout the entire range of the wheel motion. I typically only set the EPA for left and right turning once, after fitting the servo or making any changes to the car which affect the steering.

- There is also a dual rate function which reduces the throw of the steering servo whilst retaining full turning motion of the steering wheel. This is different to simply reducing the EPA setting, as the speed of the servo is spread out over the full turning of the wheel, thereby making the steering less twitchy for speed runs.

To access both of these settings on the Radiolink, it has to be accessed within various sub-menus, so not easy to adjust on the fly.

The Spektrum DX2e has a dedicated steering dual rate dial.

Fair enough - personally when using the epa knob as I described above on my cars I can’t really tell the difference between simply reducing the throw via epa and the true d/r functionality I use in my flight controllers - I guess it does what I want it to do regards reducing the high speed twitch so I’m seeing the same effect