• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

WL Toys Owners Thread

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Mines arrived a few weeks ago from Banggood and it was the V2 of the 124017, well impressed with it.

I moved the wiring around the motor heatsink like @Tomley RC had done.

Moved the receiver to sit behind the battery and re routed the servo and esc wires under the drive shaft.

Hot glued them and the switch  near the servo.

Had a few alloy parts to fit.

Eventually used a reamer on the body to allow the fan to stick out.

The body sit's really flat now.

I'm sure a Phat Bodies shell would make all the difference ! 

I wonder now about the best battery 2s/3s you could fit in this car/moving the battery holder back, without changing much?

Great car for the money imo  (V2)

Just haven't been able to take it out due to the weather here recently.

Nice review, thanks mate. I'm really interested to see how you get on with the 2S and 3S fitment and the performance at 3S, incl the rear and tear on the drivetrain.

God luck with the weather ;-)

Thanks again,

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Couple of things (from a novice)

I greased the diffs with just standard car (full size) grease.

Didn't realise there were clear stickers on the wheels, keep them on for better protection !

I pulled them off like a clown !

Edited by Captain Howdy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

............ i went for this as my wife has a brushless outlaw that she is not getting to use much as she relies on me taking her, as i only have crawlers, i felt i needed something similar to hers

You wrote a cracking post with loads of interesting info but it was this bit that I liked the most.

How lucky are you eh!! :good:

• Thanks 1

Tried and failed to upgrade my 124016.  Got the thing apart and initially tried to drill out the 0.7 mod pinion taking my time and using a vice and wd40 to keep it cool and lubed!  Thought it was going ok but the hole is a bit of a fail and wobbles too much.  Thought I would go for the easier option of a smaller motor as that means no drilling of the pinion only to find the motor mount is a bit of a fail and when the motor is installed,  I can't then re-attach the mount to the chassis as the holes are wrong.

Not sure what to do but will have a think and tackle it again tomorrow!

• Like 1

On 28/12/2021 at 14:12, whitecitadel said:

What batteries is everyone running in these?

I am have just made an impulse purchase of a 124017... I was looking at a HBX 16889A Pro to go with the FTX Tracer the kids already have but they seem to be quite expensive at the moment and the '017 was a lot of car for not a lot of money!

I have a couple of Turningy 1700MAH 2S that I use but I have come back here wondering if anyone has used these on 3S and whether that causes issues?  Know some of the YouTube folk have but no idea if the ESC on the V1 is meant to take 3S??

1 hour ago, whitecitadel said:

Don’t have mine yet but lots of reviews mention 3s is fine on the esc, which I believe is identical between v1 and v2? 

I was thinking that 2S might be fast enough for fun running though… I didn’t order any extra battery’s yet waiting to see what it’s like on 2S.

Thanks, I have ended up ordering a small 3s to try.  Mine currently has a smaller motor and pinion than stock to 'fix' the cogging so want to see what it is like with more voltage.

• James.S changed the title to WL Toys 144001 / 124016 / 124017 / 124018 / 124019 / 104001 Owners Thread

Looks like my car has made it from China to UK... just not to me yet.

I am looking at ordering alloy front bearing carrier and arms as I think they are a weak point? The alloy ones seem to be cheaper as a full set rather than buying just the bits needed, and it seems that the hex drives on the axles are another weak point and the alloy ones are better - anyone have any experience?

I don't want to order a lot of parts before I have the car, but equally chinese new year is getting closer and I would rather than stock in the post before they shut down than break the car and china is closed for new year and I can't get parts.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2022 at 17:15, MrCake said:

Thanks, I have ended up ordering a small 3s to try.  Mine currently has a smaller motor and pinion than stock to 'fix' the cogging so want to see what it is like with more voltage.

Forgot to say 3S went absolutely fine with the motor and ESC staying relatively cool!  Admittedly I am using a 15T pinion instead of the ridiculous one on the stock motor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

quick update, i have motor, mount and esc plus servo but turns out i had to get a mod 07 15t pinion so waiting for that to arrive before doing brushless swap

Wish there was more choice and availability with mod 0.7!  Would have made my life easier if they were readily available in different tooth and shaft sizes!

• Like 1

On 14/01/2022 at 07:27, MrCake said:

Wish there was more choice and availability with mod 0.7!  Would have made my life easier if they were readily available in different tooth and shaft sizes!

yes mod 07 is a pain to get had to order the 15T pinion from Aliexpress but had email to say its arrived in UK, so should be with me in a couple of days now

I have a 144001. They're good for the price, sure, but if I was going to recommend any of them it would be the 124018. My one has survived countless crashes & has been the most durable out of my WL models. The newer brushless version (124016) would be a good choice too, depending on if you want to spend a bit extra for a bit of extra speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, still no closer to doing the brushless upgrade on the 124018, i have been waiting for a 15T mod 07 pinion, it finally arrived but the pinion bore size it 2.3mm not 3.2 like my motor, if i use a different motor then i have to buy yet another speed controller, i dont have a pillar drill to try drilling the pinion so at the mo im tempted to sell the darn lot, not even run the 124 yet

• Sad 2

Just now, Jack Reacher said:

Well, i tried to drill the motor pinion to size on a basic pillar drill, now its destined for the bin as its not drilled straight and pinion runs out as it turns, need to get thinking cap on

Same experience for me!  Drill was straight and I was using WD40 as cutting oil. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrCake said:

Same experience for me!  Drill was straight and I was using WD40 as cutting oil. 

The pinion is made from super rubbish metal soft and hard parts in it.............not sure what i will do with this car, i could use a different motor but then i would need to buy yet another esc and budget is already way over on this, might just leave it brushed and replace motor once in a while

Edited by Jack Reacher