• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone else into vintage mountain bikes?

walkbythesea

Just from another thread it became apparent that @Ag100 and I still have a lot of love for 26” wheel mountain bikes, my taste is generally in the golden age with my main interest around 1990

Who else is still in love with the bikes they rode or lusted after as kids?

Yeah i love a 26 er! I recently sold my mountain bikes and the only one i have left is mydads old muddy fox adventurer from 93! I have managed to find a box for the 3 in 1 radio gear i shall see how much it is to post tomorrow for you

Edited by Strugglecuddle7
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Just from another thread it became apparent that @Ag100 and I still have a lot of love for 26” wheel mountain bikes, my taste is generally in the golden age with my main interest around 1990

Who else is still in love with the bikes they rode or lusted after as kids?

i was/am into the raleigh peak apex moonshine mtrax era  The pink peak is a rare one as it was a mk2 and not made for long it was replaced as mk1 frames use to snap.   the zero g is not my one  as i don't have a pic of my one.  it was a very under rated bike  as it look like the bargain one  but it was a £600 bike  went very well.  here are pics of others i own/owned   have owned a lot more but im not one for taking pictures.

s-l1600.jpg

peak 2IMG_0187.JPG

$ddd_57.JPG

u$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

IMG_0263.PNG

IMG_0262.PNG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

Yeah i love a 26 er! I recently sold my mountain bikes and the only one i have left is mydads old muddy fox adventurer from 93! I have managed to find a box for the 3 in 1 radio gear i shall see how much it is to post tomorrow for you

The early Muddy Fox's were great before the name got sold and the brand destroyed - I recently acquired a completely  original 1986 Courier, but it was rough and just too damn big so I've sold it on - interesting original bike though and beautiful to ride

BC9C2AFA-03EF-4A7D-8BF2-092C4652697B.jpeg

Edited by walkbythesea
  • Like 1

My daily is a 1990 Kona Cinder Cone, identical to the bike I bought new in 1990 and rode to death over the next 29 years - eventually the frame got broken and I searched high and low for another, splatter Kona’s got rare when I wasn’t looking! 😂

E6C29938-8862-49E8-96A0-6B650B886026.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, walkbythesea said:

My daily is a 1990 Kona Cinder Cone, identical to the bike I bought new in 1990 and rode to death over the next 29 years - eventually the frame got broken and I searched high and low for another, splatter Kona’s got rare when I wasn’t looking! 😂

E6C29938-8862-49E8-96A0-6B650B886026.jpeg

don't get me started on the cinder  love them a lot.  one i had broke on the down tube that the seat post goes in  about half way down.  it was never treated bad  but one day while on the road it started the make a really bad noise.  im a cycle expert expert  use to do it for a bit of a living  and i couldn't place what the sound could be.  got back home and just sat looking at the bike  as i know it wasn't anything normal.  then after a long time looking i see the down tube had totally  broke in 2  it was like it had been cut  but wasn't

Another rare 1990 Cinder Cone - one originally sold for a very short period without Kona decals because of a legal dispute.  

This one came to me as a frame and fork only, I’m building it up as my “road bike” as I don’t like actual road bikes. 

C577B2AE-6613-464E-9C65-E9740785BE27.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Another rare 1990 Cinder Cone - one originally sold for a very short period without Kona decals because of a legal dispute.  

This one came to me as a frame and fork only, I’m building it up as my “road bike” as I don’t like actual road bikes. 

C577B2AE-6613-464E-9C65-E9740785BE27.jpeg

The eagle-eyed will note the 1991 onwards Kona K decals used as the only identifier as they felt they could use cheeky “preproduction” artwork in 1990 and get away with it. 

On the top tube it says Joe Murray     Cinder Cone

Edited by walkbythesea

I’ve only got one 26” bike these days but I’m not sure I should be posting about it here as I only bought the frame and built it up a few months ago. 

It does have quite a lot of early 00’s parts on it from the donor Specialized SX trail that I’d been riding up until a few years ago but nothing anywhere near as old as the rest of the stuff posted above. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, turok007 said:

i was/am into the raleigh peak apex moonshine mtrax era  The pink peak is a rare one as it was a mk2 and not made for long it was replaced as mk1 frames use to snap.   the zero g is not my one  as i don't have a pic of my one.  it was a very under rated bike  as it look like the bargain one  but it was a £600 bike  went very well.  here are pics of others i own/owned   have owned a lot more but im not one for taking pictures.

s-l1600.jpg

peak 2IMG_0187.JPG

$ddd_57.JPG

u$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

IMG_0263.PNG

IMG_0262.PNG

Seeing that Raleigh Max photo was a blast from the past! Think I was about 14 when I eventually saved up for one. Was £450 from memory, took over a year of paper rounds and washing cars 😆. Mine was a black frame rather than the blue, but otherwise the same.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Seeing that Raleigh Max photo was a blast from the past! Think I was about 14 when I eventually saved up for one. Was £450 from memory, took over a year of paper rounds and washing cars 😆. Mine was a black frame rather than the blue, but otherwise the same.

the black frame one had normal suspension forks not triple clamp  as price was a little lower.  but still rare bike

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

But my Klein is my favourite, the bike I lusted after in 1990 when it was first released, the most beautiful I’ve ever seen even to this day - preTrek, first issue Attitude XT in Team Colors

7973EB81-F5FB-4ED9-8EB4-73095DE72F47.jpeg

i really wanted one    but for some reason never got it  even though i had the money when they were less than £500 on ebay

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

But my Klein is my favourite, the bike I lusted after in 1990 when it was first released, the most beautiful I’ve ever seen even to this day - preTrek, first issue Attitude XT in Team Colors

7973EB81-F5FB-4ED9-8EB4-73095DE72F47.jpeg

i would class it as a piece of art.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

8E2FF45A-9646-40E2-B580-4579FC620E11.thumb.jpeg.c99010c5d8ae6d956ff838f52ed6bf23.jpeg

As do I

“Gary Klein did not manufacture bicycles he was an artist that painted in Aluminum”

i wanted to do that but the missus had a few choice words on the matter

• Haha 1

I have a 1991 Raleigh Kandara that I love to bits.

Unfortunately, about 18 months ago my spine/nerve damage took a massive turn for the worst and I haven’t been able to ride since. According to the doctors, I may never get to ride it again. But I love it too much too sell it.

• Sad 1

I don’t have a photo of my old ones, but my favourite was my Raleigh Dynatech Pro, it had full Suntour XC pro group set and a flouro yellow Girvin Flexstem, loved that bike, but sold it to buy my fist car (MK1 Fiesta Supersport). Still have my Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (Ali frame and ful XTR Groupset), and my current bike (still a 26”) Scott Scale 610 (full carbon frame/seat post/handlebars/Wheels with XTR 9000 group)

B0BC00B0-AA69-493F-8F7D-0528E8B03FE4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 19:04, walkbythesea said:

I do own one “new” bike…

…but it’s weird in its own right 😁

An early Whyte, before they started making normal bikes. 

4848545F-0D1C-4B5B-A1C8-39E7B769656E.jpeg

I remember riding one of these when they came out! Front end tracking was really odd but seemed to "work"..... As to your Klein 😍 YUM YUM...

My first bike was a Kona too - a Firemountain. Rode everything in that lower budget but the Kona was way more fun!!..

Don't have any old bikes left now, only one 26" - a Cove Handjob, though I do still have a 26" SC Blur TRC frame (That was a really nimble fast bugger!) I keep meaning to sell.... Otherwise I'm afraid I'm now a 29" pervert  Convert....

• Like 1

On 06/07/2021 at 06:47, mark-essex said:

Had a Klein Attitude in red/yellow.  An Orange  Clockwork, and then a Specialized Stumpjumper Team in purple with Specialized shocks (when front shocks were pretty much unheard of!!).

Just have road bikes now.

ROADIE!!!!!!!!!

🤣

• Haha 1

On 06/07/2021 at 06:47, mark-essex said:

Had a Klein Attitude in red/yellow.  An Orange  Clockwork, and then a Specialized Stumpjumper Team in purple with Specialized shocks (when front shocks were pretty much unheard of!!).

Just have road bikes now.

1 minute ago, stimpy said:

ROADIE!!!!!!!!!

🤣

Road bikes are great, it’s where I do most of my cycling now😀

• Haha 1