• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

rc`s as investment

Lone-wolf

The only sure fire ones will be Tamiya or Kyosho limited editions. I know someone who stashes one of each away but it's not going to fetch much in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 1

buy the unique, limited edition or revolutionary stuff, keep it boxed, never open it, and some of it may become valuable in 10-15 years time.

Of course, what will and what won't is a gamble. Just because someone releases a 'first' doesn't mean it will become fondly remembered and sought after on the nostalgia market.

If Tamiya actually releases a 'new' kit that isn't a re-release....that's a good start point. But really, given the time for these to become valuable, and the return is not guaranteed.

I wonder how many of the massively overpriced vintge Tamiya kits are being sold by the folks who bought them new......

• Like 1

Old tamiya boxed ones would go for £1000  but they are very rare boxed   good built ones would hit £500+  but over the last few years  people are trying to sell newer models for £500   but it doesn't work like that.  Have to keep something in mind in the old days people didn't collect so it was by chance a old car turned up  but now every man and his dog are collecting  so at some point the prices will fall hard.

As for what to buy now    If you can find one get the carisma 959  it is flying up in price.  reason being very rare  also the 959 is a nice looking car  also the tamiya one is at silly prices.  I have a near mint one  but won't sell  as i love the 959

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turok007 said:

Old tamiya boxed ones would go for £1000  but they are very rare boxed   good built ones would hit £500+  but over the last few years  people are trying to sell newer models for £500   but it doesn't work like that.  Have to keep something in mind in the old days people didn't collect so it was by chance a old car turned up  but now every man and his dog are collecting  so at some point the prices will fall hard.

As for what to buy now    If you can find one get the carisma 959  it is flying up in price.  reason being very rare  also the 959 is a nice looking car  also the tamiya one is at silly prices.  I have a near mint one  but won't sell  as i love the 959

Tamiya M chassis cars are a prime example. 

A few years back they could be picked up for sub £50 for a tidy one, now they are £150+ for anything that isn't a complete pig. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Tamiya M chassis cars are a prime example. 

A few years back they could be picked up for sub £50 for a tidy one, now they are £150+ for anything that isn't a complete pig. 

To me it looks like people are thinking everything is going to be worth a ton  later on  as i cannot see someone want to pay silly money for something they are going to use.

I think i will skip this idea, more a case of thinking out loud, but guys thanks for the replies, and think if i picked up a nice boxed M class i would want to run it lol

Edited by Jack Reacher

19 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I think i will skip this idea, more a case of thinking out loud, but guys thanks for the replies, and think if i picked up a nice boxed M class i would want to run it lol

some tamiya re releases seem to be in short supply  but hard to tell  what they are until sold out.   If you really want a certain kit in box then then go for it.   i have a thunder dragon on order  and im close to getting a second to keep in box.  lol.

a few months ago i got a few kits i have always wanted nothing really special they were to build  but one of them has shot up by £80  so that might stay boxed   lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

These aren't even boxed and have been used, they are smashing little cars and I regret selling my M03 about 7 years ago but in that I could have easily tripled my money with next to no risk. 

On 01/05/2021 at 17:49, Jack Reacher said:

Just see a boxed tamiya bruiser from 2012 sell for £500  so they didn't make anything from that.

• Like 1

Just now, turok007 said:

Just see a boxed tamiya bruiser from 2012 sell for £500  so they didn't make anything from that.

Ha ha, like i said a few posts back not gonna follow up on investment rc`s bad enough trying to sell the modern ones you not using

25 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Ha ha, like i said a few posts back not gonna follow up on investment rc`s bad enough trying to sell the modern ones you not using

Just showing everyone that  what everyone thought was going to be a rare re release ends up still for sale almost 10 years later.   Im still looking at the clone one  but really wanted a kit version.

1 minute ago, turok007 said:

Just showing everyone that  what everyone thought was going to be a rare re release ends up still for sale almost 10 years later.   Im still looking at the clone one  but really wanted a kit version.

I did have the clone bruiser for a while nice but to many little issue`s with it

1 minute ago, Jack Reacher said:

I did have the clone bruiser for a while nice but to many little issue`s with it

could they be easily sorted or more of a money pit.

The truck itself is pretty solid, the body shell is basically a genuine bruiser so is a lot of the parts but they cheap out with the worlds worst bearings so really need to fully strip and rebuild with decent bearing kit, yes that gearbox is a proper pig to strip and rebuild, shocks leak oil from get go, the supplied tx is a clunky old thing in the rtr, if you got a kit and some real bearings it could be a great trail rig

• Like 1