• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

Also, does anyone have a clue what foams I should be running front and rear?  I did have recommendations here last week on fronts. 42 shore, 26mm. Thanks, that was an amazing help.

However, i'm  struggling to find 'rears'....anywhere for the Tamiya TT01 i'm runnning.  What is the difference between 'fronts' and 'rears'? I have a 4wd car, obviously. I'm assuming 'fronts' won't have the correct fitment if I try and put them on the rear chassis?

Finding it quite confusing and as usual many RC shops don't list the full details of what you're buying, thus i've not replaced my wheels yet and I need to as I can't run the car until I do!

Cheers

1 hour ago, Turnipheid said:

Also, does anyone have a clue what foams I should be running front and rear?  I did have recommendations here last week on fronts. 42 shore, 26mm. Thanks, that was an amazing help.

However, i'm  struggling to find 'rears'....anywhere for the Tamiya TT01 i'm runnning.  What is the difference between 'fronts' and 'rears'? I have a 4wd car, obviously. I'm assuming 'fronts' won't have the correct fitment if I try and put them on the rear chassis?

Finding it quite confusing and as usual many RC shops don't list the full details of what you're buying, thus i've not replaced my wheels yet and I need to as I can't run the car until I do!

Cheers

42 shore 26mm will be fine on both front and rear.

The "rear" when referring to foams mainly relates to on-road nitro cars for outdoor racing which took a slightly wider rear foam at 30mm.

Using fronts on the rear will be fine, the fitment is the same.

Edited by pieman5
  • Like 2

I have another question. I've searched around the interweb, but I can't find info on whether the Yeah Racing (or similar) adjustable motor mount fits the Tamiya TT01, as well as, the TT02? I have a TT01.

I'm going to require some amount of adjustability to run some faster gearing  that I have sitting waiting to be fitted.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

PS still waiting on my foam tyres being delivered after ordering 5 days ago (dispateched today), but then the weather hasn't be great, so no worries! Once I fit all, i'll post a video of some runs.

13 hours ago, Turnipheid said:

I have another question. I've searched around the interweb, but I can't find info on whether the Yeah Racing (or similar) adjustable motor mount fits the Tamiya TT01, as well as, the TT02? I have a TT01.

I'm going to require some amount of adjustability to run some faster gearing  that I have sitting waiting to be fitted.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

PS still waiting on my foam tyres being delivered after ordering 5 days ago (dispateched today), but then the weather hasn't be great, so no worries! Once I fit all, i'll post a video of some runs.

sorry cant help on the motor mount, could of sold you a set of foams, sorry missed this as im not posting on here much

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turnipheid said:

Can anyone help?

Cheers

I believe they are different, have a look and the manuals to confirm however they aren't that much in the first place. 

Shame about the foams, who did you order them with? 

• Like 1

Jack, cheers. Hope you're well. I managed to get the foams (thanks for the offer). May be in the market for more soon, though! Not taken them out in anger yet, as the weather has been shocking!

Alex, cheers. Think you're right and the motor mount won't fit. I'll look into an alternative.

• Like 1

The H hyper GT now has stock tyres back on i have belted the foam inserts after seeing this on a YT video, seems to make a fair bit of difference to stop ballooning thought i wont be doing silly speeds, tyres are glued and wheels threadlocked back on, still waiting on the rally tyres/wheels but dont know that i will be using them

• Like 1

Hi Jack and others,

Sounds good re the Hyper GT. You'll have to post a vid when it's all ready. I considered belting tyres myself, but the Contact RC 42 shore foams seem to be holding up really well on my car. Not as many spin-outs, better grip and handling and no ballooning, finally.

I gave up on normal tyre/wheels sets on my speed run car after having to replace them pretty much after each run/every second run.  Plastic wheels with non-foams would just snap on any impacts.  It was getting wayyyy too expensive for no return. I did buy alloy wheels, but i'll stick those on my other TT01, or just sell them.

Pinion became loose on my latest runs, but threadlock should sort that out (and I stopped before any gears stripped). I also bought a Yeah Racing adjustable motor mount so I can mount the motor correctly, as well as , the high speed gearing set which will allow a greater range of gears.

I'm finally no longer crashing and destroying bodies! I basically calculated/mis-calculated my latest speeds manually. Calcs came out at 35mph, whihc I think is nonsense given a standard car can just about achieve that. I'll post videos when I get them, so comments would be welcome. I have an old Garmin I may attach to the car, but I doubt it will find satellites on the GPS sufficiently to measure correctly. Anyone got any other suggestions for a speedometer? I don't want to drop £70 on a new one!!

My latest issue is that running the car over 100ft I can only go full throttle for maybe 1 second max, before I run out of road, so struggling to find surfaces suitable. The car park one I currently use has loads of stones on it, which isn't great for straight runs, but has a nice stone run off when I over cook it, which stops the car before curbs. 

Also need to tweak the steering a bit as it never returns to neutral, even though i'm using spacers, digital servo and a hop-up alu turnbuckle set (bought before I realised it's not necessary for speed runs).  Anyway, that doesn't seem to adjust at all unless I dismantle the steering rack, so a pain!

Cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turnipheid said:

Anyone got any other suggestions for a speedometer? I don't want to drop £70 on a new one!!

It's difficult really unless you find something used as they're not cheap for any GPS unit that will actually be accurate.

On the used market you can try to find GPS units like the Garmin Forerunner 101/201 series as they're fairly accurate as well as not too much money usually. You may get lucky if you keep searching the used market though and see a dedicated used speed meter for sale at some point but I never have.

What you want for a speed meter to be accurate is a GPS with a good refresh rate. 

FYI in case you don't know the refresh rate AKA update rate is how often a GPS module calculates & reports it's position which in turn allows it to calculate speed.

Speed meters like the one I use which is a Dynamite GPS have a refresh rate of 10Hz (10 times per second refresh rate).

Cheaper alternatives to the Dynamite with 10Hz refresh rates are the Sky RC GSM-015 (£45-£65 ish) and the Sky RC GSM-020 (App based using a GPS module).
GSM-015: https://cheapdrone.co.uk/drone-parts/skyrc-gsm-015-gnss-gps-speed-meter-high-precision-for-rc-drone-drone-parts

GSM-020: https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/skyrc-gnss-performance-analyzer-sk-500023-94362?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-e6reT08AIVTOPmCh2KdQFpEAQYByABEgKWZ_D_BwE

Best to shop around for best prices. 

If you really enjoy going fast maybe consider trying to run through the speed traps at a UK ROSSA event. Great fun and plenty of helpful members willing to help get you going really fast. Next event is only a couple of weeks away now. 😉

Link: http://www.rossa.org.uk/index.html

Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641915416068313/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is my latest speed run. I wanted to test my new foam tyres and make sure nothing exploded. This, as I said, was not full throttle, but best I could do. I had , as I said, about under a second of full throttle. I have some special gearing that can go on the car, but this was a test to see if the foams were all good. There is some whining from the gears, as the pinion came loose. Does this appear to be 35mph over 100ft?

Cheers

• Like 2

oh wow you really need a better spot that that, the poor tires on those bricks and your chassis 😞
id say thats about 35 yeah, it is very hard to tell, i assumed my car was going 50 and it was doing 36 lol

12 days till ROSSA, cant wait!

• Like 1

Redback, yup. Tyres are all good, but any recommendations on the chassis?

It is a Tamiya TT01, and i'm going with that. Keeping it real. Simply doing the calculations, mathematically, before I put more proper gears on it, it should hit 100mph. I just have no road to do it.

What have you done to your modern car to make it faster? Seems easy in comparison.

A

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turnipheid said:

Redback, yup. Tyres are all good, but any recommendations on the chassis?

It is a Tamiya TT01, and i'm going with that. Keeping it real. Simply doing the calculations, mathematically, before I put more proper gears on it, it should hit 100mph. I just have no road to do it.

What have you done to your modern car to make it faster? Seems easy in comparison.

A

No thoughts on the chassis, should be solid just need a better place to run it, quite roads are usally to rough and unmaintained, busy roads are usally really smooth but have cat eyes, finding places to run is super hard so i gave up and am just waiting for speed events.
Short of that im going to speak to the local go karting tracks, jaguar or a velodrome and see if i can run there outside of the rossa dates as i dont like running on public roads for saftey reasons.

Its not as easy as it seems, I had to do some mods and then put in a super powerful race system and still only clocked 80mph. Getting minor gains from this point is when it gets hard and unsafe pushing the limits.

Looks like you have a solid rig and start, so you will only keep improving until you hit your skill limit and then its down to practice, tweaking and logging what works and what doesnt. 🙂
Drive safe!

• Like 1

Once upon  a time, I brushed a redback off someone's back and killed it. Have you ever seen a redback spider? My car has to be faster than 35mph. I would have got that out the box. I've got a 100MaH Esc on it, 5.5T sensored motor, 3s Lipo.

Where is your video?

• Haha 1

I keep charging batteries to run the Strada, but between bad weather and a complete lack of spare time means I'm just not getting around to actually running it 😢 I hit 96mph last time out running the 3800kv motor. I've fitted a longer can 4000kv motor now so that 100mph should be achievable 😁 

Now I just need to run the damn thing!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Turnipheid said:

Have you ever seen a redback spider? My car has to be faster than 35mph. I would have got that out the box. I've got a 100MaH Esc on it, 5.5T sensored motor, 3s Lipo.

Where is your video?

Yes I am australian after all ergo the name 😄
Im sure its much faster and can go faster you just need a real place to run.
Im running almost 1.1 gearing on 4700kv motor running 100,000 rpm 130,000 rpm on 4s with all boosts.

3s run here no boosts.

• Like 2

@Turnipheid as @Redbackbut  said it's almost impossible to tell from videos how fast RC's are really going but I'd say I don't think you'd be far off at a guess of 35-40mph. 

Doing a speed run you need to be progressive with your trigger pull and once at full pull try to hold it for as long as possible to let the RPM on the motor climb. That car park is definitely hindering what you can achieve I'd say. 

Keep at it though as it's all about beating your own PB's and just having fun. :good:

• Like 3

Im gonna call time on the speed running, no suitable spot to run them, gonna sell all the speed run stuff. I knew it was gonna be a bit short lived, not to worry of road driving is as much fun

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Yaaaaaas!! It's been an awesome journey and I've finally achieved what I initially thought would be impossible. To think my initial goal was 40+mph 😅 I think I'll retire the little Strada now, maybe save it for special occasions. Just goes to you don't need to spend £££'s to go fast 🙂

IMG20210603092756

I'm actually still on location, trying to resist the temptation to do "one more run" haha

As said in the other thread, super impressive. 

In terms of costs, would you mind giving a rough breakdown? 

The reason I ask is to understand at different scales what it costs to join the 100mph crew.

• Like 1