• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick ion MT faulty?

Homeybadger3

Hi! I have this maverick ion mt and havent used it too many times and it's gone faulty on me already. It now only goes forwards. It doesn't go backwards and it now doesn't turn in any direction. The batteries are all new and charged so I'm wondering what the issue could be. Any help?  Attached a picture so you know the truck 

20201228_100522.jpg

these arnt waterproof so possibly got water into the receiver and needs drying out you could stick it in airing cupboard for a couple of days or use a hairdryer on it just watch it doesnt get to hot tho if that doesnt work then prob new esc/rx 

Edited by Stormbringer

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

these arnt waterproof so possibly got water into the receiver and needs drying out you could stick it in airing cupboard for a couple of days or use a hairdryer on it just watch it doesnt get to hot tho if that doesnt work then prob new esc/rx 

They are spec'd as waterproof but not sure how well, submersion or snow probably overwhelms it.

I would try rebinding it before assuming it is broken, see page 6 in the Maverick iON manual:

https://www.hpiracing.com/assets/documents/maverick/instructions/mv28999_vol02_ion.pdf

1 hour ago, Nick said:

They are spec'd as waterproof but not sure how well, submersion or snow probably overwhelms it.

I would try rebinding it before assuming it is broken, see page 6 in the Maverick iON manual:

https://www.hpiracing.com/assets/documents/maverick/instructions/mv28999_vol02_ion.pdf

Ohh are they  i have 1 as well and didnt know that lol 🤣

yehh in that case rebind as Nick suggests :thumbsup:

On 10/01/2021 at 10:36, Stormbringer said:

try unplugging the steering servo and see if you get forward/reverse

Did that, still nothing :( I plugged in my esc from my ion dt and still same issues. So, motor perhaps? But that wouldn't explain its turning problems 🤦‍♂️ I need an rc car that doesn't break so easily or so much!

On 12/01/2021 at 14:10, Homeybadger3 said:

Did that, still nothing :( I plugged in my esc from my ion dt and still same issues. So, motor perhaps? But that wouldn't explain its turning problems 🤦‍♂️ I need an rc car that doesn't break so easily or so much!

Unfortunately in this hobby you (mostly) get what you pay for!

Have you spoke to where you brought it from? Is it under warranty etc?

On 12/01/2021 at 14:10, Homeybadger3 said:

try piece by piece from your Ion DT motor, servo, esc, transmitter etc?

On 15/01/2021 at 10:51, Guns said:

try piece by piece from your Ion DT motor, servo, esc, transmitter etc?

Yeah, im gonna do that later on. Shame, thought they would be pretty decent little cars. Any recommendations on relatively cheap but good quality ones?

11 minutes ago, Guns said:

Im a fond believer of getting what you pay for, do you want a similar 1/18th scale?

I'm still very new to the hobby and I saw the price for that scale and how it is still a proper hobby grade rc car and I got it for that reason. But I would just like to get an rc car where I can take it out for me than a few runs without it going nearly dead completely on me. Any suggestions will do. Just obviously not top of the range stuff like the traxxas xmaxx 

What about Corally Triton both brushed and Brushless 2 wheel drive monster trucks quite solid and reliable 

Brushed

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=444076

Brushless

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=444072

or the Moxoo or Mammoth all same chassis 🍻

19 hours ago, Homeybadger3 said:

I was thinking of getting the electric version of the ftx torro. What's everyone's opinion on that? Quality wise. Does it match up with the others you guys have suggested?

Personally, no. Id rank it as a similar grade to your Maverick. 

I had exactly the same buggy, broke it after a few mins - snapped shock in half. Upgraded shocks, snapped a steering knuckle. Fixed, decided to convert to brushless. Ruined it, plastic gears couldn't cope. Sold it as a parts car, replaced with a WLToys 144001.

Anyway....long story short...I bought my Maverick Ion because I'd bought my daughter an FTX Colt which is the same 1/18th scale and I liked the size.

Her Colt has metal gears and driveshaft and you can run it on 2s lipo stock out of the box. Parts are cheaper and in the couple of years she's had it, it's proven really reliable. Only 1 broken part - steering knuckle - she drove straight into a kerb. I've added a big piece of foam to the front so hopefully won't be any more.

If you're liking the 1/18th scale I'd recommend the FTX Colt. I am a novice myself, and am just comparing the Colt to the Ion. 

Just came across this thread interested in if anyone else with an ion is struggling with lots of breakages, can't take mine out without a susp arm breaking, seem really weak, no major crashes just the odd roll when Steering abruptly or nudging something. Is it just a feature of tiny 1/18  cars being fast and light?  Was thinking of alu parts but would that help? Feels like i can abuse my arrma granite as much as I want, but the little ion cant even get thru a pack without breaking. 

No, not all 1/18 rigs are fragile, though many are, much like some 1/10 etc etc, more down to design, materials etc than scale. I have an Amewi 1/18 SCT which has taken a crazy amount of abuse over the years, including jumping on concrete, and I've broken very little. From memory, one front knuckle, both front body posts, stock (rubbish) servo and that's it, I think. Body is battered but still does the job with help from Mr shoo goo.

Oh, and steer clear of Ali arms etc, unless you want to start busting bulkheads, hinge pin blocks etc.

I'm not sure, may be wrong, but the Amewi 1/18 may be same as Ion range, really can't recall now. If they are, then perhaps I'm having more luck due to SCT style shell absorbing much of the hits, and not having big unprotected wheels sticking out ready to catch on every kerb etc?!