• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

1 minute ago, Jack Reacher said:

I bet that water was so very tempting, cant believe my DC1 not sold, i dont really want to sell it but i want a multiplex Funray more and that is an expensive sport glider!

I think i need to strip and grease the axles on the carisma ford, that does go in water as no bearings to rust 

Does the Carisma have bushings instead of bearings?

I haven't seen enough used DC1's go up for sale to know what a reasonable asking price would be. I guess it just comes down to how badly you want it gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, everclear1984 said:

Does the Carisma have bushings instead of bearings?

I haven't seen enough used DC1's go up for sale to know what a reasonable asking price would be. I guess it just comes down to how badly you want it gone.

Yes its axle bronze bushes on the carisma, not a bad thing on a crawler, yeah used market hard to judge, with the extra`s i think im about £120 below what it would cost to buy new with extra wheels tyres

• Like 2

Which way round does everyone have their ESC?

I put mine in the middle like the manual, same way as everclear has in his build thread, but I am finding that the interior is fouling the wires out of the ESC making it hard to get the front of the body to sit cleanly on the pins?

Also having a panic I can’t seem to find the rubber grommet that seals he RX box where the servo wires exit! 😯

RX didn’t fit so I had the lid off for the test drive, but I am certain I took it off before the test drive, have modded the receiver antenna grommits now so it fits.

1 hour ago, whitecitadel said:

Ok made it all fit after some cable management, still can’t find rubber grommet for the receiver box!

Here it is, first shell painted in about 20 years - didn’t quite come out as planned. It’s Tamiya ps37 trans red backed with ps-48 metallic silver then black. I made mistake of not laying down enough trans red - probably needed the whole can in hindsight and it was hard to tell how red was red enough!

Apart from the silvery red sparking from too much silver coming through quite pleased with the rest. Watched a hemistorm video on YouTube and cut the overspray mask on the outside for the window rubbers then sprayed them black on the outside so they appear more Matt. I did the door shuts and panel joins with 0.7 micron kyusho tape. Looks good so far but will see if over time it peels away.

Lights spliced to a single JST on the body that’s into the receiver, tested the winch controller and it’s quite clever - too clever. It changes direction each time so would work with a button but I wanted to use it with a toggle switch on the transmitter. Also not quite sure if I will drill it into the kit bumper as the holes line up with the bumper mounts,  or get another bumper with winch mount.

just need to work out now why it steers better right than left!

4CF83FD2-9564-4991-9FE1-31C0D5AD989F.thumb.jpeg.4ef7dc96b5f0d6cb78a33d3e5627b727.jpeg

Check the srvo arm is mounted straight 

15 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Check the srvo arm is mounted straight 

thanks will do.

servo (25kg Chinese job) came with a nice alloy arm, but it has a protruding part on the rear that fouls the chassis so I used the kit plastic one and I can see some flex in it as well.

steering right Center’s back nicely. Steering left does not centre fully, it’s still slightly left - something not quite right.

need to dial the brake back even further, already programmed it much less than default but it still stands on its nose if you let off the throttle!

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

That looks really well mate nice colour 

Thanks, I think the combination of colours has potential to look fantastic - just needed more trans red! Where it’s gone on heavier on the bonnet and the side ridges on the doors it’s a real cherry red. Oh well next time!

was aiming for this:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97235-custom-colour-thread/&do=findComment&comment=842357

Found some other shells in this combo as well but can’t find the links right now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Disconnect the steering linkage from the horn and check the srvo centres ok , if it does check for binding in the steering 

I did that, but it looks a bit like the left wheel is not dead parallel, the tyres are a bit “wobbly” so it’s hard to see 100%.

It’s quite an angle for the steering link, can’t help wondering if the axle mount makes the servo more efficient.

There is a hiccup with new tyres, they are pants and wont stay on the rims, i have fitted the original Hobao wheels/tyres for now, the new ones in picture above are going in the bin, i now need to find better tyres and not to much money, so looks like i will have to order from China and hope i get decent ones, or pay a small fortune for UK ones

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Redback said:

Is it the inner ring, you can get other rings eg the rc4wd rims dont fit proline tires without the proline ring, could you cut down a bit of pipe an make your own inner ring?
Ive spent loads on tires and rims that dont fit, sadly thats just part of the game / hobby.

Its the cheapo rubbish not fit for purpose tyres, the bead that traps to the wheel rim is about as thick as a condom, so no wheel is really gonna take hold, a bit of a shame as the tyre is nice and soft, but having said that the stock DC1 tyres are nice, soft but good quality and a good grippy compound so i think i will splash on a set, i could boil the original tyres away from plastic rims but its a pain to do

I would recommend traxxass canyons 1.9, they are wide, soft grippy, foams are a bit iffy but you already have some nice star cut ones. They are worth the money, they dont snakebite easy, fit on every rim ive tested on, cheap and rc4wd, i think you will find they transform the performance on the rocks too 🙂

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

There is a hiccup with new tyres, they are pants and wont stay on the rims, i have fitted the original Hobao wheels/tyres for now, the new ones in picture above are going in the bin, i now need to find better tyres and not to much money, so looks like i will have to order from China and hope i get decent ones, or pay a small fortune for UK ones

i wouldnt be chucking the new tyres away but thats just me as im a right tight arse and would think they would fit something in the future 🙂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Yrkoon said:

i wouldnt be chucking the new tyres away but thats just me as im a right tight arse and would think they would fit something in the future 🙂

Its a shame but they just wont stay on a rim so they are useless, managed to boil a stock tyre of the rim and mount it on the new wheel to see how they fit, i will order a set of new stock tyres, as im not a fan of boiling a glued tyre

dc1 tyre on beadlock.JPG

• Like 1