• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wrecked 1 day old FTX Carnage

RC-Boy

Hi guys, great site and looking for some advice. Like an idiot, I went out and wasted my money buying the awful FTX Carnage Waterproof Brushless car. Turns out it isn't waterproof.

So, to cut a long story short, it got wet and stopped working. All I had was steering, and the motor kind of clicked/stuttered but no power. No light on the on switch, fully charged battery, no beeps etc. The ESC was steamed up and only the orange light came on, and so I bought two new ESC's (one spare), fitted one this morning and now nothing. The red light on the receiver comes on, flickers and then goes out, no other lights, no beeps, nothing.

Any idea what I am or not doing right? I've spent £73 on the new ESC's and at the moment I think it might just be destined for the bin. Very disappointing as I only played with it twice, didn't realise how fragile and expensive the FTX Carnage is.

Thanks in advance.

• Sad 1

You say you bought two new ESC's... I assume you have tired the other one? Does sound like an ESC problem to me, and the FTX ones are well known for being absolute gash!!! They actually do a slightly upgraded 60A one IIRC.

I'm guessing you've bought two of the Etronix Photon 45a esc's, as fitted to the car originally?  If so, these are classified as 'Splashproof' ie you can drive through puddles etc, and should be OK.  What you can't do is fully immerse them... what were you doing with the car before it gave up the ghost?  Servo is waterproof apparently, but only 3kg... not sure about receiver?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for putting in the time to respond and apologies for the delay in me replying, but I have just returned to the UK having been away in Germany.

So, what was I doing before it got wet...well, erm, like a typical 48 year old I was having a lot of fun racing it around our garden, and it flipped over, cartwheeled across the grass and landed in the pond. 🤭

I took it out of the pond, drained it and it ran fine for a few minutes, then just stopped, as it does when the battery runs out, I guess the ESC shuts it down when the voltage gets too low. Obviously submersing it won't help, but I put the battery back on charge and the next day when I plugged it in, no beebs etc, nothing but steering.

Since then, I have replaced the ESC, receiver & motor. Balance charger says the battery is fully charged (three green lights, no red led's) but now when I plug it all in, nothing, just a few flashes from the red light on the receiver and then dead.

Anyhow, just to be sure, I checked the voltage on the battery with a meter. It is a 3250mah 2s 7.4v 20c battery, and it is showing as 2.31v. I guess the battery has had it as well? No swelling or deformation, or smell. I have ordered two new batteries, but at this rate I have almost replaced the entire car in just spare parts! I never had a fraction of these issues when I ran nitro cars over 20 years ago, not sure what the advantage of Lipo is?

The battery should be fine, but with only 2.31v from a cell something is wrong there, what happens with another battery?
As for the lights, it sounds like the reciver isnt bound to the transmitter have you tried rebinding it? If the motor and esc is new you may also need to resetup the ecu to the controller.
I got a new etronix ecu after mine went for a swim and turned out it was the reciver that was glitching not the ecu. Once left to dry the stock ecu came back to life.

Edited by Redback

I think a lot of the fault here is them advertising the car as waterproof,  when in actuality it is only splash resistant.         

They should have atleast made it clear in the instructions that if the car becomes submerged to immediately unplug the batteries and carefully dry off the car's electronic parts with a hair drier ensuring not to hold the drier too close and overheat/burn the parts (aka not to make them too hot to touch for 6 seconds or more)   then leave the car for a few days to ensure all moisture is evaporated before running the car again.....

Also,  do this with the transmitter and receiver to pair them together,  PAGE 5 of https://www.etronix-rc.com/manuals/ET1060.pdf

Could consider dipping your electronics in corrosion-X and really swilling it around to get it in all the nooks and crannies between the heatsink and the FET chips on the board as that offers some protection for when things like this happen.

http://www.corrosion-x.co.uk/product/corrosionx/

Edited by GorillaZilla

yeah it quite clearly says in the manual 

Although this vehicle features waterproof electronics they are not designed to be submerged in water. Potential damage can still occur to vehicles components if you do so.

If you had run it in puddle or wet grass or mud and it had died i would say that was unreasonable, but falling into a pond is a bit different :lol:

Edited by Jumper

7 hours ago, RC-Boy said:

Anyhow, just to be sure, I checked the voltage on the battery with a meter. It is a 3250mah 2s 7.4v 20c battery, and it is showing as 2.31v.   

Also,  I'd completely discharge that battery down to 0 volts outside and then dispose of it safely.     

Edited by GorillaZilla

Damaged Lipos are dangerous.   And voltage that low will have damaged the Li-Po.    So keep it outdoors away from anything flammable.

I take it that the measurement of the battery at the discharge terminals is 2.31V,  and not per individual cell?

Also,  once your Transmitter and receiver are bound,  the ESC may need calibrating,   PAGE 6 here:    https://www.ftx-rc.com/manuals/Carnage Brushless Manual.pdf

Oh and you also will want to set the failsafe on the receiver too after binding the radio to the Receiver as that looses the failsafe setting...  So the car does not run out of control should you go out of range or have the transmitter cut off for any reason

Page 6 here https://www.etronix-rc.com/manuals/ET1060.pdf

Edited by GorillaZilla

Oh wow, thanks for all the super replies! I will work my way through them and give you my answers.

For now though, I only have the one battery which came with the kit and a basic balance charger. Seemed to me that the car had been sitting on the top shelf of the model shop for quite some time, possibly years?

The voltage is 2.31v at the discharge terminals and it doesn't rise when I put it on charge. I can't discharge it I don't think as it came with a basic 2s/3s balance charger, no switches or buttons. I was thinking of buying a new proper decent balance charger today, any recommendations?

Seems to me like the battery must have been a separate issue then, regardless of me dunking the car in the pond?

Yeah,   did the battery get left plugged in the car at any point?   Even without throttle the electrics are using power from the BEC,  the ESC may have a Low voltage cutoff,  but the BEC which supplies the lower voltage to the receiver and servo may not.

Either way,  don't store that lipo indoors or near anything flammable,  Lipos have gone up from being damaged from overdischarge 

Here's what happened to a Two cell 8.4v lipo that was overdischarged and sitting at 5 volts total.  Wasn't charging or anything.

Get yourself an ammo can and remove the rubber seal,  then have the ammo can on a paving slab or something.  Seems to be the best solution as they are cheap and everywhere.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMMO-BOX-Army-50-Cal-Pre-Used-Ammo-Can-Military-Surplus-Storage-Box-Tool-Box/124162396055?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1ce8a7cf97:g:q0oAAOSw3dRen-Bp&enc=AQAFAAACYBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkp2NA0WuhQytmt4dbStg00JtPnRefRxa4sFYnclD%2FKsMpWZ8Nbe3ziNGel4A4cPYeohgnNwFI9UyQsD2Xx%2B9No8GoMyXEtPB812bFAz9mkSoNe%2BM9g%2BoHSi4MyzAcQRbR6i9K7jb5tS31kok6yYesBKSe1SqqkDL%2FsdL3l8i%2BwOlPv%2Bi9GhkD6ABZtU82UCu6zu7zoesmFNZlfl%2B6N1eTT5GJ8O%2FsMvOGmrFWp%2F31TxvwNl2yoWHzdfcJvcT%2Fgjp3SuDCjaUlEB0bAB86BPfTEhWSBdzjZO3YaX99syg9iyBF8S1zmnzfANOsLQkJJDfdGYeJS%2ByH3zCOPRSex6%2FhChRpAawbX7Ub%2FYRvn%2Byf8EdhJ99qxBPN5TNAD2LbBKTsfWhv7fsKVFP893bB9niiEva3UAHTwI6ZBccSDXt7PhTJy%2F7MKi4kNfNFPAh%2Br3%2Ffc8iDqd8WysokphfJdRyirg9Y%2BTMgdHEzQNtvnX7JSLnomVMCu70PMuoUKCvJTqaymVXO0dFK4mneZMh7R4xr6OczYEizD85kSU47F%2Bn2BlTJqIGuARflRCMyl%2FgX%2ByJheLCMGW1wVopNfF02WvXsa8hLZOWoDpPaDba8nuK7kGRtjoXD9oA57i5SyfkTkjRHrnN%2FnR7j%2Bu8tagYIFLVa5EkIV0FY9qELgTFSHmnFilWr%2FCvgBIoqHCIZlzCUH8nQ02yylnI0ioqFaQ%2F0fBmuK3VeaAx2xnv%2FPj70P8Ncg2fnRQohtqKM65INAUFLJj5H&checksum=1241623960550e5c469faedc40e68d3d2768d4035a09

Edited by GorillaZilla
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

I see in that video they didnt test a 2s lipo are they not dangerous like the larger ones?

im guessing more cells = more impressive booms, 2s ones are just as dangerous if not treated right :)

Well, I am at a total loss with this one. I've bought and replaced the following:

2 x Etronix Pulse Gfsk 3Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver (Et1060) ET1095 - £24.99

2 x ETRONIX PHOTON 2.1W 45AMP ET0125 - £73.35

1 x Etronix Photon 2.1 Sensorless 13r 2950KV motor ET0335 - £43.99

2 x Zeee 7.4V 5200mAh 50C 2S Hard case Lipo Battery - £43.99

Total spent = £186.32

No matter what combination I connect it all together, I get zip! No lights, no beeps, nothing. For that price I could have bought a whole new FTX Carnage and so I took the sensible option and chucked it in the wheelie-bin.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, RC-Boy said:

...anyhow, after throwing my toys out the pram, I retrieved the stinking FTX from the wheelie-bin and put the old ECS back in with one of the new batteries...and low and behold it all fired up! 🙄

So, after doing the pairing up and calibration it runs like a dream!

What a pain in the ***!

oh well alls well that ends well at least you have some spares kicking around 🍻

13 hours ago, Yrkoon said:

glad you got it sorted  :)

drunk edit : now you can buy a tamiya kit for cheap and use the spare leccy parts  :)

I have been tempted by the Tamiya kits, any particular one you would recommend?

22 minutes ago, RC-Boy said:

I have been tempted by the Tamiya kits, any particular one you would recommend?

tt-01 or tt-02 for on road cars, dt-02 sandviper for buggy or a lunchbox/pumpkin for a retro truck, the lunchie and pumpkin first came out in 1987 though  :)

edit: im fond of the grasshopper as well but it is very slow with a wee 380 motor and first came out in 1984  :P

Edited by Yrkoon