• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ARRMA Kraton EXB - Extreme Bash Roller Speed Truck

Fly In My Soup

Wee poor QC and rather than sort it out once and for all they’d rather play the blame game maybe a little less time on social media and more time sorting out your companies issue might be in order ! 

This truly is the EXTREME version EXTREMELY POORLY MADE 😂😂😂😂😂

I own both Traxxas and Arrma and don't feel I have any real loyalty to either brand - I buy what tickles my fancy. But what's really starting to boil my pee about this industry is companies releasing products that just aren't up to the job.

I bought an early Xmaxx back in the day - the one with the self-grenading crown gears and electrics that would put a cremation chamber to shame. 5 years later i bought a Kraton V4 6s with a bendy chassis. Now we have this.

My problem is that all of these issues MUST have been apparent during testing. Unless the test drivers consist of nothing more than the receptionist's grandmother? These issues must've been seen during development but they still get released! 

But WHY do they get released with issues?? Because we, the end user, are happy to show our "loyalty" to the brand and fix the issues using our own wallet! Us hobbyists are our own worst enemy. It really doesn't matter which brand you're "loyal" to or who you want to brand as a "fanboy" -Traxxas fans branded the Xmaxx woes as early teething issues and now Arrma fans are getting laughed at for doing the same. Trouble is,  we're all as bad as each other because we've allowed this to become the norm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Testing ? That’s done by YouTubers when there given a freebie trouble is they just big the new release up or play down it faults instead of reporting the truth ! 

It’s a joke this day and age prices go up quality goes down and excuses get more feeble 

• Like 1

I've heard a rumour that the delay to Europe is so they can sort the rear diff issues out..!!

( I hope that's true, because getting a warranty over here just plain sucks..!! It's LogicRC 😩 )

So basically the U.S have been the guinea pigs for the EXB 🤣🤣🤣

Not sure how true the above is but we can all but hope..👍🏼

This releasing RC's not tested or finished isn't a new thing... slight change in direction, but I remember when all video games worked straight out the box, but now everything releases broken and we get told "oh don't worry a patch will fix it" well in my world why don't you just hold off releasing it till it works first..!!

Back on track, if people keep buying this 💩 then the companies will keep selling it..!! Vote with your wallets people..👍🏼

If we don't all buy the stuff they will soon get the msg I'd hope, but in all reality how could all us RC'ers get together and say no,  maybe a forum 😉🤣

Edited by BashingBrian
  • Like 2

On 17/08/2020 at 19:03, mydoddy69 said:

Wee poor QC and rather than sort it out once and for all they’d rather play the blame game maybe a little less time on social media and more time sorting out your companies issue might be in order ! 

I think this maybe an insight to how little control Jason and his team may actually have throughout the chain in general... Idk.... 

I mean... Jason's mentioned many times he's salaried just like the rest of the employees.... Employees of horizon lest we forget 

6 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

I think this maybe an insight to how little control Jason and his team may actually have throughout the chain in general... Idk.... 

I mean... Jason's mentioned many times he's salaried just like the rest of the employees.... Employees of horizon lest we forget 

Could well be smoke and mirrors to avoid getting any blame on social media as he spends a lot of time on it. 

Cant see you going from owning the company to an employee but who knows 

This said though when Aussie RC made his rant vid it come over like Horizon where holding the purse strings even after Jason contacted him nothing really changed he now has some guy sending him one not sure why he can’t buy his own mind not like he won’t earn the money back though YouTube vids but hey ho why buy it if you can ponce one for free 😂

Well, cancelled my EXB pre-order even before i saw all this (avoided the thread because it was inevitable that some people try to wind up others, can't be arsed dealing with that anymore), but that's pretty shocking.

I'm not an Arrma fanboy - i cancelled the EXB in favour of my new X-Maxx (not a traxxas fanboy either, they're still worse than Arrma for now). Sidenote, if anyone wants to buy an unused 4072 Rocket can, got one that i have no use for lol -.-

Here's my thought on this. Yes, stuff can go wrong with new designed parts. No, it's not "unacceptable" to shim diffs on a new RC, i shimmed pretty much every single RC i bought new, including my Trail King that was halo'd for the mechanical quality. I in fact absolutely expect that i have to shim things, i also disassemble every single diff that i get with a new truck - every single time - to check if it's properly filled etc. Should i have to do that? Not really. Would i do it even if i hadn't found "problems" with almost every diff i opened, one way or the other? Yes. You just go through a new RC, always. I had so many lose bolts on RCs out of the box, including wheelnuts, it's probably in the hundreds by now. 

That doesn't bother me. What does bother me is this. They claim they made the "ultimate basher". What a basher needs is reliability. That means that faffing around with overly complicated diffs is absolutely stupendous. Give me the oldest and simplest one, make it out of the toughest material that you can find and use, fit it properly and be done with it. If you want a good offroader you don't buy one of them new ones with tons of stuff and buttons and electrical this and computerised that, you get an old Defender. Simple stuff that's bombproof. 

I mean, why not put a torsen diff in it, or even better, a torque vectoring diff in it with electronically actuated clutches? That would have even more parts, be even less reliable, be even more expensive to fix, and be even dumber than what they've done now. Nah, absolutely can't get behind that. Arrma is pretty much Traxxas now, minus lawsuits - but they're bending their customers over just as much. That's also not something to gloat about, as a sidenote - "haha, your favourite company is now almost as arse as my favourite company" is a pretty.. awkward point to make. Not that it matters, a mate of mine just bought a Mojave on my recommendation, and i bought an X-Maxx - i still can't stand Traxxas, and i start to feel the same way towards Arrma (though, arguably, i'd point more blame to Horizon - even though my Losi holds up incredibly well). I'm still gonna buy the stuff though, i'm almost 40  years old now, i'm over these little noodle-measuring contests  - especially now that i moved with my wife and my mental health is starting to pick back up again. 

Nah, absolutely not impressed with Arrma on that one - and after the Kraton 8s, there's not much credit for them to live off of either. 

9 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Well, cancelled my EXB pre-order even before i saw all this (avoided the thread because it was inevitable that some people try to wind up others, can't be arsed dealing with that anymore), but that's pretty shocking.

I'm not an Arrma fanboy - i cancelled the EXB in favour of my new X-Maxx (not a traxxas fanboy either, they're still worse than Arrma for now). Sidenote, if anyone wants to buy an unused 4072 Rocket can, got one that i have no use for lol -.-

Here's my thought on this. Yes, stuff can go wrong with new designed parts. No, it's not "unacceptable" to shim diffs on a new RC, i shimmed pretty much every single RC i bought new, including my Trail King that was halo'd for the mechanical quality. I in fact absolutely expect that i have to shim things, i also disassemble every single diff that i get with a new truck - every single time - to check if it's properly filled etc. Should i have to do that? Not really. Would i do it even if i hadn't found "problems" with almost every diff i opened, one way or the other? Yes. You just go through a new RC, always. I had so many lose bolts on RCs out of the box, including wheelnuts, it's probably in the hundreds by now. 

That doesn't bother me. What does bother me is this. They claim they made the "ultimate basher". What a basher needs is reliability. That means that faffing around with overly complicated diffs is absolutely stupendous. Give me the oldest and simplest one, make it out of the toughest material that you can find and use, fit it properly and be done with it. If you want a good offroader you don't buy one of them new ones with tons of stuff and buttons and electrical this and computerised that, you get an old Defender. Simple stuff that's bombproof. 

I mean, why not put a torsen diff in it, or even better, a torque vectoring diff in it with electronically actuated clutches? That would have even more parts, be even less reliable, be even more expensive to fix, and be even dumber than what they've done now. Nah, absolutely can't get behind that. Arrma is pretty much Traxxas now, minus lawsuits - but they're bending their customers over just as much. That's also not something to gloat about, as a sidenote - "haha, your favourite company is now almost as arse as my favourite company" is a pretty.. awkward point to make. Not that it matters, a mate of mine just bought a Mojave on my recommendation, and i bought an X-Maxx - i still can't stand Traxxas, and i start to feel the same way towards Arrma (though, arguably, i'd point more blame to Horizon - even though my Losi holds up incredibly well). I'm still gonna buy the stuff though, i'm almost 40  years old now, i'm over these little noodle-measuring contests  - especially now that i moved with my wife and my mental health is starting to pick back up again. 

Nah, absolutely not impressed with Arrma on that one - and after the Kraton 8s, there's not much credit for them to live off of either. 

I actually saw a few videos about the Xmaxx, and most (if not all) point to the Xmaxx being better (at least for bashing) than it's equivalent in the Arrma Line up. Plus the parts are almost always 50%  cheaper than those of Arrma. I was surprised considering that the X maxx is all plastic. I, recently, was considering the EXB too, but ended up getting a Tekno Mt410. Now i am wondering if i should have gone for a used X maxx ....  

On 26/08/2020 at 10:21, jimbulsara said:

I actually saw a few videos about the Xmaxx, and most (if not all) point to the Xmaxx being better (at least for bashing) than it's equivalent in the Arrma Line up. Plus the parts are almost always 50%  cheaper than those of Arrma. I was surprised considering that the X maxx is all plastic. I, recently, was considering the EXB too, but ended up getting a Tekno Mt410. Now i am wondering if i should have gone for a used X maxx ....  

Not going to get into "this is better than this" - the X-Maxx is all plastic, correct. And in the beginning, i ridiculed that too. 

I do see the upsides now. I still do think that for a plastic truck the X-Maxx (new) is overpriced, it's almost as expensive as my 75% metal DBXL-E 2.0 - but in terms of "toughness", it's probably tougher due to being plastic. There's no  (or barely any) give in metal, so if you do have a bit harder of an impact, you bend something (hello kraton 8s). I'm happy that i got one, only had a go at it once (weather, of course, being arse ever since the day i bought it), but it's a lot of fun. 

The MT410 is a great choice too, so i wouldn't be disappointed either way. I bought the X-Maxx mainly because i'm a large scale fan, but don't like the noise of nitros/petrols (got sensitive hearing), so there's not that many choices in terms of large scale. 

• Thanks 1

Why is anybody into any toy car? The fastest and longest jumping car Ive seen was had a plywood chassis and beat up Typhon V2 parts. That went 7 meters further than Kevin Talbot's car which probably cost 2k on the same jump, (I measured both myself). Of the same jump the car that went off most without breaking was probably a Helion Invictus. Go figure. I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it. People like stuff for the most personal, subjective reasons. Turns out you can have an awesome amount of fun without spending a complete fortune anyway.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

After buying my bro a 4s kraton I wanted a basher to run together. This was in lockdown and not much available at the time except the kronos. 

He absolutely hits on that thing while I'm continuously wrenching 😢 

Absolutely great to drive but fragile, I have every upgrade available but the weak point is the steering deck to the gearbox  pick up point and I can't see how this can be sorted.

Killed 3 gearbox shells and when these go the front hinge pins pop.

Great electrics, will be transferred to the exb I've ordered!

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/07/2020 at 14:49, m4inbrain said:

Ordered a Max6 + 1650kv combo - that'll do me. I've seen a lot of recommendations for the new Castle 1717 and MMX8s, but i can't imagine it being twice as good as a Max6 combo (which is virtually half the price). 

Good enough for me. Servo i'm not certain, but won't be a million bucks either. Probably, like RC DUDE throwing a 23kg Power HD at it, good enough. I'm not racing it.

Don’t know why im reading back through this, but why such a low kv motor? Wouldnt you normally be around 1900-2200kv?

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Don’t know why im reading back through this, but why such a low kv motor? Wouldnt you normally be around 1900-2200kv?

Well firstly, the plan changed entirely - i'm running a MMX8s with 1717/1650 now - decided to go a bit more all out. 

Generally, i guess. That's what Kratons, Kronos etc come with out of the box, but in case of the stock Kraton for example, it comes geared 12/50, with the optional high speed pinion being 15t. That can't be used offroad though. With that 1717 can (it's a 4885ish sized can) i can gear it 21/50, for around 70mph and that's offroad. It's just boatloads more power. That said, i've never liked the 2050 cans - they run absolutely on their limit in a Kraton.