• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Driveshaft pin tool - for changing pins (2.5mm or 3mm) in driveshafts

Candyman

I have a few of these, lets you change the pins in driveshafts, I have them for 3mm and 2.5mm pins.

Push the pin out with the flat bolt, then put a new pin in the 6mm hole bolt and drive the new pin in and old one out, then to finish use the 3mm hole bolt to push the new pin home. The body of the tool is 14mm and the bolts 13mm, you can work it with 2 x spanners or hold it in a vice and use a 13mm for the bolt is probably best. As with most things a squirt of wd40 or similar will make the whole process a lot easier!

Looking for £16.00 delivered.

I have them on ebay too if you prefere.

dt2.JPG

dt3.JPG

Edited by Candyman
  • Like 1

On 08/05/2016 at 22:44, Candyman said:

I have a few of these, lets you change the 3mm pins in an 1/8 driveshaft. Push the pin out with the flat bolt, then put a new pin in the 8mm hole bolt and drive the new pin in and old one out, then to finish use the 3mm hole bolt to push the new pin home. The body of the tool is 14mm and the bolts 13mm, you can work it with 2 x spanners or hold it in a vice and use a 13mm for the bolt.

Also have them with a 2mm or 2.5mm for 1/10th shafts.

Looking for £17.50 delivered.

dt2.JPG

dt3.JPG

Did you make these and do you have any plans to make any for 1/5 scales?

its possible..... pm'd you

cant pm you for some reason?

if you can tell me the pin size and length, also the size (width) of the ball on the end of a 1/5th shaft?

Edited by Candyman

15 hours ago, Candyman said:

Hiya, yeh if someone can pm me with the dimensions, I can see what I can do

Hi,

Pin is 5mm x 22mm. The ball is 12mm diameter. 

Here's a picture. This is the drive cup end of one Losi 5ive Driveshaft.

20160516_114451_zpsoyhg3ewv.jpg

Ok thanks, I cant go that big using the hex bar and bolts I am using for the 1/8th pins. I will have to use larger bar and bolts. Let me look into it and come back with a price, if we can get a few of you on board (4-5) then it'll be worth it.

Ok, for 1/5th i'd have to use 19mm bar and M10 bolts, they would come out at £25 each, but I need at least 4 of you that want them, can you pm me if you do? :)

Edited by Candyman

Ok that sounds like 4 of you.

Homer, I have to buy a meter of bar and a bunch of bolts, I need to do at least 2 before i break even.

does anyone have a spare 1/5th dog bone laying around you could post me? I can knock a few quid of your tool and then send it all back to you together.

Hiya, super, ok I have ordered the materials, might take a week or so to turn up. Ok to hang onto your shaft for that long........ did I just say that? ... anyway, wednesday im not in much, 6pm till about 8pm, feel free to chuck it through my letterbox? i'll give you £5 off your tool then :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Candyman said:

Hiya, super, ok I have ordered the materials, might take a week or so to turn up. Ok to hang onto your shaft for that long........ did I just say that? ... anyway, wednesday im not in much, 6pm till about 8pm, feel free to chuck it through my letterbox? i'll give you £5 off your tool then :)

Ryan, no problem holding onto my shaft..  In true Carry On style.... 'Ooh Er Matron' ...... It's a spare shaft which I don't use... :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mond said:

I got mine, already changed my pins over on the 8ight T.  Great tool.

Just to mention I've done some on the Trophy too. Works a treat :thumbsup: Unless we snap or bend a dogbone too badly :whistling: all we gotta do is get a meter of steel bar and cut it up. Saves a few £  :thumbsup:

Now. What I can't decide on is whether to go mild steel or stainless? My thinking is that I think stainless is softer so a softer metal will cause less wear on outdrives just the pin will wear faster instead which isn't a bother with the tool. 

What do you's reckon?

39 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

Just to mention I've done some on the Trophy too. Works a treat :thumbsup: Unless we snap or bend a dogbone too badly :whistling: all we gotta do is get a meter of steel bar and cut it up. Saves a few £  :thumbsup:

Now. What I can't decide on is whether to go mild steel or stainless? My thinking is that I think stainless is softer so a softer metal will cause less wear on outdrives just the pin will wear faster instead which isn't a bother with the tool. 

What do you's reckon?

Well it depends on the grade of stainless, some are harder, some softer. If it were me I would just get some replacement pins, then you know they are the right size and the right material.

1 hour ago, Carpmart said:

Ryan, no problem holding onto my shaft..  In true Carry On style.... 'Ooh Er Matron' ...... It's a spare shaft which I don't use... :) 

Excellent, I'd be more happy with one to test so I know it does the job!

• 2 weeks later...