• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

This is why

babylon

Nice find! Knowledge is power.

I think though this is mostly a case of Chinese brand copys American brand. HPI, Losi, Kyosho etc do the hardwork. There's so many rebrand models out there now.

even if they are all designed separately they can often come to the same conclusion, because physics are the same for all the companies, so the best suspension geometry and layouts  will apply not matter which company make it. 

for example if you have hinge pins made from steel, the strength to weight ratio will mean the best thickness is xmm and the best length is x mm.  its unlikely that someone is going to order 3.15678mm shafts and they are probably just going to round it to 3mm, hence lots of things end up being very close or even the same size. :P 

• Like 2

I needed one of them plastic Hingpin retainer jobies  for my Thunder Tiger S3, Happen to have an Sworkz s350 here, Guess what, S350 retainers were exactly, And I mean exactly the same size as the S3.

spacer.png

So because you happened to have an old Kyosho lying around its ok to not factor in how easy/hard it is to obtain spares when making a significantly expensive purchase, as you can just bodge something else on? Got it!

9 hours ago, Guns said:

So because you happened to have an old Kyosho lying around its ok to not factor in how easy/hard it is to obtain spares when making a significantly expensive purchase, as you can just bodge something else on? Got it!

My God, What is your problem, No, I don't factor in spares, Cos I have never had trouble getting them, I had trouble 30 years ago when the internet never existed, When getting any part for anything was a week long exercise and a cheque in the post, But now it's easy, You might get shivers down your spine when your part number search comes back blank, But I've been doing this long enough to know what I can and can't use in it's place, And happy to use a little bit of ingenuity,  So it don't bother me.

I'll finish by say at least I'm bringing something constructive to the Forum, Some months back someone asked about a Hong Nor diff he couldn't get , I put up pictures and measurements showing he could use a Berserker or Kyosho diff as a straight swap, Hong Nor CRT universal drive shafts will fit a HPI savage, the front hingpin holders from the Berserker and the Kyosho I also now know fit the front of a CRT, So probably work with the buggy as well, And the rear Kyosho hingpin holders also fit the berserker.

Maybe none of this is of interest to you, But some here have these trucks or buggy's, Some won't be put off a good product just because they can't get a screw in a packet with the part number and logo printed on it, Some people are happy to try an arm or drive shaft from another model rather than sit in the corner crying and moaning they can't get spoon fed parts, Like I said, At least I'm bringing something constructive to the forum, What have you done lately. 

It’s not only that, I think it’s no different to any other business like car industry or electronics, many clients are ok to use common parts if supplier/producer suggest it to use them to reduce the cost of tooling, good example is diff, you can find exactly the same diff in many rc cars, some might decide to use better material but design is the same so tooling cost is reduced and parts between brands are interchangeable

43 minutes ago, Kukynas said:

It’s not only that, I think it’s no different to any other business like car industry or electronics, many clients are ok to use common parts if supplier/producer suggest it to use them to reduce the cost of tooling, good example is diff, you can find exactly the same diff in many rc cars, some might decide to use better material but design is the same so tooling cost is reduced and parts between brands are interchangeable

This is all I'm trying to help out with, I get that some cars are looked over because a parts search in eBay comes back with no results, But with so much interchangeable, There is no reason why it should sway a decision as much as it dose.

I also understand that it's not that easy for someone that's new to the game, And as I said at the very start

22 hours ago, babylon said:

I try not to let the parts support sway me to much

But why rule out a certain kit because a diff or arm search comes back empty, When in reality, It doesn't.

A lot here have swapped parts, If we passed this stuff on more often, Before long we would all have petty good combined knowledge of what fits what,  Witch can help to get yourself and others out of trouble, Or not sway you from buying that kit on sale because the model has been discontinued.

But it appears that certain ones  who have been doing this for some time and should know better, Still need to be spoon fed parts.     

Edited by babylon

I guess for a lot it also can bring back more of the fun of tinkering and just seeing what will fit with the means you have, refreshing that it's not necessarily just bodging [emoji16]
Experienced this recently, trying to find hpi parts for an e firestorm and trophy buggy are becoming harder with lots having the trophy diff internals on 'back order' etc
Luckily managed to find them however old style e firestorm spur gears has always been fun and they do like to break... the last 3 I had used were ecx spurs I believe from a ruckus that just required the corresponding slipper pads to work fine
This time however I struggled to even get those very easily/cheaply so looked around and found Helion spurs with a very similar internal diameter and actually a few more different teeth counts. So got hold of them for only 2.25 a piece and the embossing for slipper pad location is identical to the old hpi spurs, all that was required was taking the internal diameter up very slightly and they fit perfectly [emoji108]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Relativenewbyseb said:

Experienced this recently, trying to find hpi parts for an e firestorm and trophy buggy are becoming harder with lots having the trophy diff internals on 'back order' etc

I put a set of HPI Trophy internals in the centre diff of the Berserker, And a set from the MP7 in the rear, So no reason a set of Kyosho won't fit in the HPI diff.

spacer.png

I put a set of HPI Trophy internals in the centre diff of the Berserker, And a set from the MP7 in the rear, So no reason a set of Kyosho won't fit in the HPI diff.

s-l1600.jpg

I reckon it could be a thing yes, they do look identical!

Although I'm hoping that with the hardened diffs all round now that won't be an issue [emoji16]

I mean I thought it had them already until I saw the powder filled diff case, lasted very well considering

1 hour ago, Relativenewbyseb said:

Luckily managed to find them however old style e firestorm spur gears has always been fun and they do like to break... the last 3 I had used were ecx spurs I believe from a ruckus that just required the corresponding slipper pads to work fine
This time however I struggled to even get those very easily/cheaply so looked around and found Helion spurs with a very similar internal diameter and actually a few more different teeth counts. So got hold of them for only 2.25 a piece and the embossing for slipper pad location is identical to the old hpi spurs, all that was required was taking the internal diameter up very slightly and they fit perfectly

That right there is exactly what I'm talking about, We have no idea how many there are around here with the same or similar problem now or in the future, That there is the sort of knowledge/Information I like to retain, Even if so I can pickup a cheap Firestorm cos some poor sucker got an empty search result on eBay for hpi 86946, Which I just did.

I'm sure those were the gears that failed continuously in my Kyosho Scorpion XXL VE, but Ttypedan came to the rescue by figuring out how to fit a CEN Colossus diff fit, top fella! The car doesn't get run much, but the diff ain't failed yet!

On 31/05/2020 at 09:15, Relativenewbyseb said:

I guess for a lot it also can bring back more of the fun of tinkering and just seeing what will fit with the means you have, refreshing that it's not necessarily just bodging emoji16.png
This time however I struggled to even get those very easily/cheaply so looked around and found Helion spurs with a very similar internal diameter and actually a few more different teeth counts. So got hold of them for only 2.25 a piece and the embossing for slipper pad location is identical to the old hpi spurs, all that was required was taking the internal diameter up very slightly and they fit perfectly emoji108.png

Nice find, do you know the part number for the helion spurs ? 

Nice find, do you know the part number for the helion spurs ? 
Got them from sri
HELION HLNA0356 Criterion Spur Gear, 84T 48-Pitch
HELION HLNA0355 Criterion Spur Gear, 81T 48-Pitch
HELION HLNA0345 Criterion Spur Gear, 78T 48-Pitch

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Relativenewbyseb said:

Got them from sri
HELION HLNA0356 Criterion Spur Gear, 84T 48-Pitch
HELION HLNA0355 Criterion Spur Gear, 81T 48-Pitch
HELION HLNA0345 Criterion Spur Gear, 78T 48-Pitch

Nice one thanks mate 

• Like 1

what shares my thunder tiger xxt and  xxb hub carriers?

all i can find is some ta parts that look identical for bulk heads etc the pro lite 4x4 or something, not happy how thunder tiger ditch older good models, the xxb was 250 quid and the xxt was 250 quid and my drifter was 189 quid, parts are too hard to find now yet my older models have parts still available.

i was invested in thunder tiger and now im shafted, i would never reccomend tt ever again  :(

• 2 years later...