• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What is the best budget Trail Truck?

Dare I suggest a FTX Kanyon-way under budget,and with the simple chassis rail fix a truck that just seems to be able go anywhere. More up market a Carisma Coyote.Both these are RTR but the Coyote has the kit to build and fit out yourself option. I am sure that there will be other suggestions,but as a trail truck both these more than capable. The large size of the Kanyon lends itself well to FPV/camera carrier too. Spares cheap and available should you need something.

17 hours ago, UnkownRC said:

Hi,

I am fairly new to the Hobby and wanted to buy a trail truck. I Have a budget of £250 and could stretch to £300. What would you suggest?

You can get an Axial SCX10 II Deadbolt or Honcho for £269 / £289 from Modelsport. I am running a Deadbolt currently as my other half stole my SCX10 II raw builders kit, and the Deadbolt is really good. Axial have a huge following and great parts support.

The Carisma is supposed to be really good though

7 hours ago, TWINSET said:

Kanyon has weak body mount points - Video 1 and Video 2

Have you considered Carisma? https://www.modelsport.co.uk/carisma-scale-adventure-sca-1e-coyote-rtr/rc-car-products/423175

You could have a complete runner (Truck + charger etc) for £290

As I had already mentioned-the well documented chassis rail mod-costs about a fiver to fix. He also said "trail truck" not full blown crawler. True a TRX4 of SCX10 are very good,but they both need far more than £300 thrown at them-tyres,steering servos,batteries etc on top of the initial cost. Second hand-try and find one,no TRX4 for under 450 or a SCX10 for under 300-you might find the latter,but a trail truck is what he said. Just sayin.....

The ftx canyon is utter crap and probably put you off another crawler.beggars belief why it’s talked about in the same circles as the scx10.2, Trx4 and Carisma coyote.

scx10.2 rtr comes in under budget and doesn’t need hundreds spending on it, yes it needs tweaks but then they all do....

alternatively the Carisma coyote or lynx.

but hey, it’s your cash at the end of the day and only my opinion from the years of experience and expense :good:

• Like 2

I am going to try and get the Redcat Gen 7 sport

Not a bad shout.
The Everest 10 was my first crawler, wasn't too shabby [emoji106]
Not sure what they're like now but iirc they took some big cheese from Axial recently and ploughed in some dollars which can only be a good thing I should think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just now, monkeyboy_uk said:

You'd be better off with any of the other suggestions in this thread. The Gen7 is a Chinese parts bin special 

The Gen8 is an improvement but I'd go for the Carisma or SCX10ii.

OK, but is the Gen 7 any good or should I stay away from it

I run 3 Carisma Sca-1e vehicles and they are all fantastic machines wether you are just starting out or having been trailing for a while, you often hear seasoned hobbyists say how well they perform. 

They offer a great basis for upgrade too and can be easily modified as you start to want more from your machine. 

Definitely worth considering. 

I wouldn't touch it and now it's pretty much a dead end and support will drop off. I didn't have much aftermarket support anyway.  The Carisma is a much better option. 

Edited by mond

I've never seen such a load of misleading rubbish in a long time
wisepick.org/best-rc-rock-crawler
Basically ignore everything you have read on this review and listen to the knowledgeable people on here.
They have your best interests for your money and enjoyment and not how much they get paid for referrals

Just my opinion
Good luck with your decision

Cheers
Heavydt [emoji3]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Basically ignore everything you have read on this review and listen to the knowledgeable people on here.
They have your best interests for your money and enjoyment and not how much they get paid for referrals

Just my opinion
Good luck with your decision

Cheers
Heavydt [emoji3]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wow, I know the top 2 but not the rest!
Amazing cack!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, UnkownRC said:

OK, but is the Gen 7 any good or should I stay away from it

Yes it's decent and even though it has been superseded by Redcat spares and upgrades will be plentiful for some time due to it's origins. The manufacturer makes several models for other companies, so the Redcat Gen 7 shares axles and transmission with the Maverick Scout, FTX Mauler and RGT Rock Cruiser, so there are plenty of upgrades available for them, and a lot of the parts are used in the FTX Outback and Outback Fury. The only unique parts to the Gen 7 are the chassis and body.

38 minutes ago, UnkownRC said:

Can you buy aftermarket bodys (eg land rover body) for the Carisma Coyote

All bodies are interchangeable between all crawlers, to some extent, due to their design. By changing the length of the suspension links it is easy to extend or shrink the wheelbase. The Carisma Coyote and Carisma Range Rover come with a 285mm wheelbase, so would be easy to fit the aftermarket D90 hard bodies.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, heavyDT said:

Standard affiliate links page, produced just to get people to click through to Amazon from their links to generate money. That's why it isn't anywhere near a comprehensive list of models, especially if they aren't available on Amazon.