• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is the Quicrun 150A still the go to choice?

Nitroholic

If I was buying a budget 'value' ESC suitable for a 1/8 buggy or truck, able to handle 6S and not liable to smoke the first time I run it.... is the Quicrun 150 still my best option?

I'm probably going to need one.....and wondered if there were better choices?

Turnigy Trackstars used to be rubbish in 1/8 flavour, Hobbyking branded ones I never trusted, and I don't know anything about the rest of hte things a search of E-Bay throws up. Been oput of hte loop for a while, so I have no idea what is current.

I got the max8 for 83 from rcmart ebay. It includes a programme box which is cool im going to try it on my slash. After failing for a year to sync with the 2in1. It looks modern too its a nice update. Idk if its better than the quickrun though. 

£60 at RCMart. I already have a program box for one as well, but I did wonder after a couple of years if a new contender had joined the fray....but it seems not :)

Quicrun 150 it is then.

Sold the nitro motor I pulled for the conversion, which will cover the funds I need to buy this, so all good. Pains my heart to move another step away from nitro, but I have so few places left to run IC engines without hassle unless I pack everything up and go miles out of town. So to run locally...I got to go electric. Never going 100% electric though....will always keep a certain multi engine beast burning the good stuff ;)

4 hours ago, Tug said:

The Quicrun also allows for odd cell counts, albeit manually selected. I'm pretty sure the Max8, 6 and 5 don't allow it. 

I'm sure it's just the LVC that doesn't work isn't it?

They will actually work with odd cells? Well, my Max10 does on a 3s, oddly, the LVC actually works as well.

I might be wrong about that though.

I always pick between the Quicrun 150 or Max 8 depending on what motor Ive got. The Quicrun has 4.0mm motor bullets on fly leads and the the Max 6 has 6.5mm built into the ESC.

Not an issue to change but its how Ive always chose between the two lol.

2 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

I'm sure it's just the LVC that doesn't work isn't it?

They will actually work with odd cells? Well, my Max10 does on a 3s, oddly, the LVC actually works as well.

I might be wrong about that though.

Yeah, that's what I meant, should've said really. 

3 hours ago, Guns said:

I always pick between the Quicrun 150 or Max 8 depending on what motor Ive got. The Quicrun has 4.0mm motor bullets on fly leads and the the Max 6 has 6.5mm built into the ESC.

Not an issue to change but its how Ive always chose between the two lol.

Lol that's what I do, I hate soldering

• Like 1

As I recall, the problem was that the ESC cannot tell the difference between a low voltage 6S and a fully charged 5S. The ESc's that could be speciofically programmed to recogniose 5S, 3S etc. did not have a problem as they were not auto detecting voltage. That was certainly the case with an Xerun I had. I could not let it auto detect.

I don't mind soldering ....and run everything on 5.5mm bullets.

Edited by Nitroholic