• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Patents

.AJ.

1 hour ago, mond said:

They've released some older models and parts. There was also the on road Baja, scaler and Baja tsk.

If HPI are going to survive, they need to follow Traxxas and Losi with the fast scaler genre? From what I've been told, the original SC trucks (full size) were 2wd only, perhaps HPI could design a 1/6, 1/7 or 1/8 scale 2wd SC with solid rear axle? Something simple to design and produce to help get their tills ringing again? Too many re-hashes have left them so stale! 

2 hours ago, Tug said:

If HPI are going to survive, they need to follow Traxxas and Losi with the fast scaler genre? From what I've been told, the original SC trucks (full size) were 2wd only, perhaps HPI could design a 1/6, 1/7 or 1/8 scale 2wd SC with solid rear axle? Something simple to design and produce to help get their tills ringing again? Too many re-hashes have left them so stale! 

In my opinion, get rid of the solid rear axle fad.

Everyone seems to be doing it now and to my eye and research, none of the big ones are much good, look how badly the Kraken stuff handles, they get absolutely mullered by any SCT.

I'd like to see HPI release the Super Flux again, depending on the price point, I think that would put a bee in this solid rear axle bonnet.

The solid rear axle thing is good on 1:1 rigs, that weigh full weight, but if you make a big RC vehicle that's only 10% of the weight it needs to be to be accurate and drive scale, you get torque twist and skittish handling and falling over.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I don't think I am.

I like an engaging drive, the 5ive and most 4wd buggies are a tad boring through being too easy when it comes to handling. Sure, I love my X2, but is it as much fun as my Super 5SC Flux? No, the Flux takes more driver input to keep it on its wheels. 

They won't re-release the Flux, mechanically it was rubbish and took me months to iron out all the weaknesses. 

Back to topic! 

4 hours ago, Tug said:

Without a solid race series, a popular full sized example or just a down right nuts design (XMAXX I'm looking at you) rehashing popular proven designs is easy bank. SCT's do have a cool factor but aren't really the best choice as bashers and any 2wd solid axle setup would be out performed by the existing IRS designs. Not saying that it's a bad idea just that IMO it would have a very limited audience 

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

In my opinion, get rid of the solid rear axle fad.

Everyone seems to be doing it now and to my eye and research, none of the big ones are much good, look how badly the Kraken stuff handles, they get absolutely mullered by any SCT.

I'd like to see HPI release the Super Flux again, depending on the price point, I think that would put a bee in this solid rear axle bonnet.

The solid rear axle thing is good on 1:1 rigs, that weigh full weight, but if you make a big RC vehicle that's only 10% of the weight it needs to be to be accurate and drive scale, you get torque twist and skittish handling and falling over.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I don't think I am.

Even the full sized rigs can be easily tipped on their sides on the flat if not driven appropriately but I do wonder how much the manufacturers actually understand about setting up and tuning a solid axle setup? Things like anti-squat, instant centres , roll centres, anti roll bars, spring/shock tuning etc. If crawlers are anything to go by, then I suspect the answer is not a lot. 

36 minutes ago, OllieNZ said:

Without a solid race series, a popular full sized example or just a down right nuts design (XMAXX I'm looking at you) rehashing popular proven designs is easy bank. SCT's do have a cool factor but aren't really the best choice as bashers and any 2wd solid axle setup would be out performed by the existing IRS designs. Not saying that it's a bad idea just that IMO it would have a very limited audience 

Even the full sized rigs can be easily tipped on their sides on the flat if not driven appropriately but I do wonder how much the manufacturers actually understand about setting up and tuning a solid axle setup? Things like anti-squat, instant centres , roll centres, anti roll bars, spring/shock tuning etc. If crawlers are anything to go by, then I suspect the answer is not a lot. 

I suspect not a lot either and that's what I mean, even at full weight, they aren't stable, so being about 10% of the full sized things weight, or whatever they are, only makes them worse.

You also have to learn how to drive one, because they are very different to a 'normal' IFS/IRS RC.

This is like comparing apples to pears, it just ain't gonna work. 

I guess my point is that who cares if a solid rear axle is slower round a given track than an IRS, if you have an entire heat that're all solid rear axle, then it's a level playing field and the winner is the best driver, the trucks are all the same. Probably far more fun to drive too. 

• Like 1