• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Ive ordered it, was £64 with vat. Hopefully it does the front and rear.

I was gonna order a 1080, but think Ill wait till I get some more funds together and go with an AXE 3300KV, just worried itll make it too quick to crawl?

Not sure if you saw mine or other trx4's at the meet but most were running axe or axe fusions.
Either way the 3300kv axe crawls amazingly in the trx4 imo, it has the kv to shift it if you want / need some wheel speed.
With 11t pinion and low range, it can creep as slow as a snail equal if not better than brushed.

Just now, Redback said:

Not sure if you saw mine or other trx4's at the meet but most were running axe or axe fusions.
Either way the 3300kv axe crawls amazingly in the trx4 imo, it has the kv to shift it if you want / need some wheel speed.
With 11t pinion and low range, it can creep as slow as a snail equal if not better than brushed.

Awesome, food for thought. Im very impressed with it standard, probably the most impressive out the box RC ive had. Ive ordered the brass, Ill see how I get on with that

2 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-xerun-axe550-r2-3300kv-1334728 I was looking at this as a future upgrade.

Looks good. Seems to be front and rear. Maybe I'll hold off and just get the vehicle and order them actually.

Ive not got them yet, so no idea what theyre like yet

I've just found the vanquish range of crawlers...pro and ultra look phenomenal. But the phoenix, for the price seems very very good. Cheaper than a trx-4, if you're looking to replace the electrics anyway, so is probably the better avenue.  I already have sanwa tx and rx that I can use, which is only 4 channel, but that would be fine for now.  Now I'm in a quandary.

Id need some servos...but you always need servos 🙂

Edited by Skynet5

7 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I think Im going to buy this when I get paid:

https://www.applianceelectronics.co.uk/viewproduct/17284/hobbywing-xerun-axe550-r2-3300kv-hw38020314-foc-system

What pinion do I need? Guessing 32dp, 5mm bore but how many teeth?

11t the motors got plenty of rpm, i think you will be impressed, watch your drive train when popping wheelies, the outer portal bearings dont survive high rpm for long, rest is pretty bulletproof.

3 minutes ago, Redback said:

11t the motors got plenty of rpm, i think you will be impressed, watch your drive train when popping wheelies, the outer portal bearings dont survive high rpm for long, rest is pretty bulletproof.

Does the ESC/Motor combo come with a pinion? Some say it does?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick one, of the two TRX-4 Sport kits, is the extra money for the locking diffs, arch liners and 2 speed gearbox worth it you factor in I will be using my own radio transmitter (personal preference for stick) or would I better off going on the base kit and adding what I would like to it?

Base kit is £329

Premier kit is £449

Any thoughts? Is the Traxxas radio sought after used? Cheers 👍

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

Quick one, of the two TRX-4 Sport kits, is the extra money for the locking diffs, arch liners and 2 speed gearbox worth it you factor in I will be using my own radio transmitter (personal preference for stick) or would I better off going on the base kit and adding what I would like to it?

Base kit is £329

Premier kit is £449

Id 100% go for the full fat locking diffs/2 Speed one personally

• Like 1

Base kit is £329

Premier kit is £449

The Tqi Tx, rx are pricey new so would probably sell for decent money, not sure how quickly it would sell though. 
Are you only after the kit version? The rtr 2021 Bronco in red or orange is good value at £499 

• Like 1

I reckon your all on commission from modelsport 😁 appreciate the input.

So go big is the consensus then (and call you all @&!?* when the servos go pop!) I really like the Gmade’s but I figured spares for these will always be found years into the future.

• Haha 2

So go big is the consensus then (and call you all @&!?* when the servos go pop!) I really like the Gmade’s but I figured spares for these will always be found years into the future.

The TRX4 electrics aren't always bad, depends how you treat them and if the mini servos are set up correctly.

Bar the stock steering servo, changed ours when new because I was bored, both of our rigs have had about 16 months of use and both are still running stock motors, all 6 mini servos, esc and receivers.

For ref, we've always run on 2s, don't go wading and don't bash or do huge jumps. They are crawlers after all. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shergar said:

Base kit is £329

Premier kit is £449

I went for the full fat kit and then replaced all the electronics, apart from the three micro servos, straight away. I really should try and move them on at some point rather than just leaving it all sat in the box under the dining table.

Anyway quite glad I’ve got the two speed transmission but haven’t spent enough time with it yet to really say if the lockable diffs are worth it over a fixed set. 

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 2

I prefer the sport kit as I couldn't be bothered with faffing with the extra components and cables, though I wasn't entirely sold on the sport body but with the cage and bits on the kit version it looks a lot better in person.

Having said that I would like to try fitting just the front lockable diff as it might improve the turning circle a bit.

Edited by supersavage
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, supersavage said:

I prefer the sport kit as I couldn't be bothered with faffing with the extra components and cables, though I wasn't entirely sold on the sport body but with the cage and bits on the kit version it looks a lot better in person.

Having said that I would like to try fitting just the front lockable diff as it might improve the turning circle a bit.

You could also try fitting the overdrive diff gear set whilst you fitted that to improve it further. 

• Like 2

On 01/04/2022 at 15:12, Shergar said:

Have you bought one yet 😁

• Haha 1