• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

brushless esc's sometimes need to know what the limits are .......

Thanks for the reply and your valued advice. I’ll be having a go at all the recommendations above from you guys.
Really appreciate it.
I phoned the people who sold it and they said to try and re bind it too.
This is all bonkers. Wanted fun with my kid. Ending up a micro mechanic and electrician!
I also bout a Carisma M10DB
First run with that one and it’s broken the diff. Suspension so soft on the back it just bottoms out! They call them ready to run. More like ready to break.
It’s costly being a novice that’s apparent. Oh well soon we will get some fun out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all.
Had the outlaw out today.
Each time a battery is changed the car needed rebinding. Now won’t bind at all.
Anyone had this? Any solutions or tricks to try before spending dosh?
Cheers.

If its the oem speed controller try chucking ftx or cml an email and advise of the problem, they may ask for when and where you bought it. They sent me a replacement brushed motor when i did it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 05/11/2017 at 20:49, Ollykamakazi said:

Hi all.
Had the outlaw out today.
Each time a battery is changed the car needed rebinding. Now won’t bind at all.
Anyone had this? Any solutions or tricks to try before spending dosh?
Cheers.

should only need binded if using a new receiver etc, some thing wrong there

So I have sorted the binding problem. 

Took both buggies out this weekend thanks to the guys at MS sorting my charisma buggy out for me. 

Had great fun with my lad. Very muddy. 

He did hit a deep puddle with the Outlaw at the end which seemed to kill it off. 

After drying it out it only seems to have 2 wheel rear drive but no drive to front wheels .

would this be due to the water or maybe it happened when running and we didn't know?

Can anyone give hints as to what may be  causing this or what to check first?

Thanks. 

Check the grub screws on each of the centre drive shaft cups are secure. As if these loosen then they'll just rotate on the shaft. Both are under the top plate with 6 screws on, one at the gearbox end and one at the front diff end.

If its not them then it'll possibly be the front diff with missing teeth on the crown gear

23 hours ago, bieomax said:

Noticed that Ms have started to do the 10BL120 sensored at £38!

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-10bl120-sensored/rc-car-products/425021

So ordered one emoji16.png

So I’m finally getting round to sorting the Outlaw out tonight, a few bits to replace and hopefully get it running again.

The brushless electrics were horrendous for cogging and the ESC completely lost the plot so I’m sticking the brushed setup back in for now.

This is only a temporary measure for now and at that price I’ll likely pick one of these ESC’s up as they a well reviewed.

Theres been a few motor recommendations in this thread but to save trawling through the many posts, just wondered what would be a reasonable price sensored brushless to match this ESC?

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

'lo all, I'll be getting my hands on one of these, at Christmas! ^_^

Well, to be honest, I'm buying the bro-in-law one and he's buying me one...

Any glaring issues that need sorted straight from the box (brushed version)? I did hear that dirt can get in to the gearbox?

If you have any light, please shed it. ;)

Personally I've not come across any dirt within the gearbox?! If you open it for whatever reason, just make sure it's totally seated properly and screwed down later, as I'm sure you would. Mine was only brushed for a few weeks and running 3S, with a different ESC. Stock motors have been renowned for burning out, again, mine didn't, but who knows when it would've... Otherwise, it's a decent RC out the box. Aswell as going brushless very soon in its life, I also changed some of the plastic parts to the alloy options FTX have, to eliminate/prevent any slop which would develop (hubs and so on). From what I've done to it I'm chuffed to bits with it, excellent fun offroad! 

Thanks, T2boats, sounds good!

My friend, Pedro (has a youtube channel called Tuga RC), has had issues with dirt ingress, into the gearbox. However, you may well be right about it not being seated quite right.

Our plan is to tun 2s brushed for a bit and then go brushless, when we have a little bit of money to burn. We were thinking around 3800 to 4000kv, 2s. Would that be about right?

Well John after reading your thread with interest over past couple of weeks ive bought two FTX Outlaw's for my boys for Xmas.

Ive sent you a PM ref some advise from the start as i plan on getting the alloy upgrades and being a tinkerer will change motors etc likely as you have also.

Im new to the RC world but understand engines and running gear from having actual track cars, and indeed racing them.

I have had RC cars years ago and a friend and i ran a fueled car for a while before we blew it up by tinkering too much lol

One question i have...ive bought two of these FTX Outlaws ...and they will be racing them against each other in the back field, am i going to have any radio conflict issues.

Also any tips...as they are young lads they will be using them in wet areas, etc should i be tinkering before they start using them.

Other than buying spare batteries and a speed charger...they are totally stock and in the box waiting for santa to deliver them

Cheers in advance, this forum seems to be a proper old skool bunch of users...which i like!

P.S i may have bought them for myself also ;--)

Edited by paulmtb

2 hours ago, paulmtb said:

One question i have...ive bought two of these FTX Outlaws ...and they will be racing them against each other in the back field, am i going to have any radio conflict issues.

Also any tips...as they are young lads they will be using them in wet areas, etc should i be tinkering before they start using them.

Other than buying spare batteries and a speed charger...they are totally stock and in the box waiting for santa to deliver them

Welcome!

No interference issues! New 2.4ghz radio systems, that come standard in all RCs these days, have unique radio signals. Once a transmitter is bound to a receiver, then no other receiver will pick up that signal. Run as many as you want! :good:

Wet areas should be fine,  if you're just talking about splashing around. If you think "drowned" is a possibility, then you may want to put marine grease in the gears and on the bearings.

EDIT:

I have a question for the seasoned Outlaw owners: I'm planning on having mine set-up with somewhat of a balance between fast basher and trail truck, and I'm thinking of running thick grease in the rear diff, to add more "drive" when off-roading. Don't want it to simply spin-up the one free wheel, if the other gets bogged a bit.

Should I run thicker in the front, also? The diffs seem just a little too lacking in resistance to work when things get muddy, but I may be wrong.

Anyone played around with weightier diff oil/grease?

Thanks. ^_^

Edited by Praet0r87

Thanks for your reply. Is there a guide anywhere ref where and how to apply grease etc?

is there parts that should be regularly relubed? And if so what do you rexommnend as “tool basics” to have in the tool box. 

Edited by paulmtb

I'm not sure. The instructions should have an exploded view diagram of all the parts. That'll show you you where all the bearings and gears are located. If not, there will be an exploded view diagram somewhere on the FTX site.

Regularly, no. Unless you are frequently trecking wheels-deep in mud and filthy water, in which case, you'd want to clean out and relube the bearings.

Basics... always a wheel-nut spanner. Always!

Maybe also a phillips screw driver. That's about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm fairly new to this but I have bought my son a brushed outlaw for Xmas and he is looking to make it faster. I have a lipo 2s on order but also looking at brushless motors. He is only 10 and his money is limited and I have seen the goolrc 540 combos that seem good value (in his price range) even if not the fastest or best quality. Any thoughts / recommendations and which Kv and ESC amp combo would be ideal so it is controllable and won't rip the gears or anything to shreds after 5 minutes.

Any help is appreciated. 

P. S. I have also bought my other sons a vantage a day maverick strada dt. 

The GoolRC  3650. 3500kv and 60 amp ESC combo works just fine in the Outlaw. Have tested it and pleased with the results using the stock 17t pinion.  Good idea though to get the alloy motor mounting plate. Absolutely required is the steel rear driveshaft as the stock plastic one breaks easily even with the brushed motor. 

John

93665605-_E7_A3-4_E41-_A14_B-2_BFC81_CB9

Edited by johninderby