• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Get well soon Garry

Rover Man

From Facebook todays update..............

Tuesday Update. #keepstronggarry

This mornings phone call reported that Garry had again had a comfortable night.
He has had physiotherapy and was then sat out in a chair watching TV. Very short and brief.

This evening Garry had visits from Sarah, his brother Luke and his partner Penny, They seem to have got more information. 
Still on Quitiapine to help with ICU based disorientation.
Increasing Mirtazapine to help to lift his mood and help with sleep.
Has had a bed bath, Garry even helped where he could on his right side. Freshly shaven.... nearly straight goatee.

Asked if he wanted some moisturiser on his feet as they seem super dry and hard skinned but he was very adamant that it wasn't happening despite Penny offering, lol.
Temp has stayed stable,
Blood pressure is the best it's been
Also on minimum amount available of oxygen from the ventilator. 
Including x 2 four hour periods where he wasn't needing the ventilator at all which is positive. 
Once he is not requiring the ventilator at all they will. They look at putting him on a low flow oxygen meter. And when that's stable they can start to consider taking his tracheostomy out... which is currently stitched in as he managed to cough it out. Which is showing great lung capacity.

Thank you everyone for all your kind posts and prayers for Garry. <3.
Mary, Tony, Luke, Sarah & Penny xx

Keep fighting Garry ..

• Like 1

fantastic news 

keep plugging away you big ol Ox garry , hopeful you will soon be running rings round those nurses , i would say get that foot massage to buddy i mean its free lol so enjoy while you can ;) 

i am off on a motorbike meet up on the 29th so will post a picture up for you to laugh at, ( yeah a scooter riding Zebra, dont see many of those about mate lol )
shame i have to have a full bike licence otherwise i would stop on a track day at snetterton and post up some pictures for you to lol, zebra at snetterton would be a funny giggle.

well keep fighting it buddy and hope to have you typing a few words when your fit and well enough to, take care and make sure those nurses and missy get you plenty of foot massages :) 

Thursday update.................

Update Thursday. #keepstronggarry
Today's will be a brief update as the only contact has been by telephone.
This morning it was reported that Garry had, had a comfortable night, he was responding well to questions and instructions, his B/P was stable in the 140/80 range and the main thing was that Kings Mill had told Queens they finally had a bed available for Garry and that the plan was to move him some time today once all the arrangements had been made.
There had been no firm arrangements made for anyone to visit him today and we felt it would be better to allow the ICCU to have the time to get him settled in without having family around to get in the way.

At 3:30pm we received a telephone call that they were just about to start his transfer to Kings Mill ICCU.
At 9:45pm we telephone to find out how he had settled in, the report that he was settled and they were using a fan on him as he had indicated that he was hot. His nurse has had to move him up the bed a couple of time and on the last occasion has given the sign to let them know that was perfect.......
We reminded the unit that he was likely to have a good few visitor tomorrow as it was his birthday.

Thank you everyone for all of your kind posts and prayers for Garry. <3.

Sunday update...........

Update. Sunday #keepstronggarry

At the start of today's visit Garry was quite awake and greeted his Nan by trying to give her what seemed like a 'High Five', he was sprawled out in bed with his left leg hanging over the side, good job there wasn't a Matron around, he looked far to comfortable to be tidy..lol.
Nan and dad spent about fifteen minutes with him, during which he made thumb movements and was offered his IPad, he tried to put in his code number but wasn't able to manage it.

Dad came out and let Sarah go in an he held her hand and at one point made the gesture which Sarah thought meant he wanted a drink, but he is still Nil-By-Mouth. after 20 minutes they had to come out as the staff wanted to re-position him.

After about half an hour he was ready to receive visitors again, the physiotherapist was just finishing off and she told us that they had now deflated the cuff on his tracheostomy and that he was now able to breath out through his mouth, this making it possible for him to make sounds and we should encourage him as much as possible...he was certainly trying to make up time.. but the sounds were more of a raspy growl rather than words......
After about another half hour we had to leave him again as they were going to move him to another part of the ICCU as there was an emergency admission coming in who would need his bay, it being nearer the nursing station.

When we went back in Garry was dozing but still able to squeeze hands when asked to.
We noticed that Clonidine was still being infused, but at a lower dose than yesterday, we asked why it hadn't been stopped as originally planned, they said that they had reduced the dose until it was nearly stopped but Garry had again become restless so the dose had been slightly increased again.
It seems he has again tried to pull his naso-gastric (feed tube) out and another new one has been put in......

He is no longer having his B/P constantly monitored by a probe in is artery, just hourly by old fashioned cuff.
He now only has one IV line up.
He is still needing a little help from suction for his cough but he is being encouraged to clear his chest himself as much as possible.
When we left Garry was asleep again.

Thank you again everyone for all of your kind Posts, Prayers and Donations for Garry. <3.

Friday update....................

Update Friday. #keepstronggarry

This mornings phone call gave the report that Garry has had a comfortable night.

A little more awake, his cough is sounding better still getting rid of the rubbish from his lungs and that Phil his nurse for today would be able to give us more information when we visit this afternoon......

When we arrived Garry looked comfortable but sleepy, He was listening to Radio 2. we got hand squeezes to let us know he knew we were there. 
Phil said that Garry had been using head shakes and nods to let him know what he wanted, Radio station, mouth wash and the like.

His Blood pressure remains in the healthy range, currently on four different meds for his B/P.....
he is coughing well and clearing his lungs. While Phil was out of the room Garry started to point at one of the light fitting but we couldn't understand what he wanted!!... we offered him his Ipad but he wasn't able to put his code in, so no luck there.

Luke arrived at this time and we gave Garry his white board and pen but his writing is still very much a scrawl so no help there,
His Physio arrived to give his chest a work out, she used a machine which encourages deep breathing to help clear his lungs, we stayed to watch while she gave him his session, she seemed pleased with his progress, but it left Garry very sleepy so we decided to take a break, at this point Phil said the doctor wanted to update us on what the plans are for Garry.

They have stopped one of the meds which is causing him to be so sleepy.They are going to review his chest on Monday and hopefully will be able to take out the tracheostomy, his chest should be a lot clearer by then, the infection is only in his lungs and not systemic so should not be a problem.

Once the tracheostomy is out then there will be a short period before he is moved up to the stroke ward where work will start on looking at what he can and can't do and what rehabilitation program he will need.

We asked about the PEG feed and were told that Garry has a Hiatus Hernia so they weren't able to put one in, Garry really is making the most of his period of sickness and hospitalisation!!!.

We asked about when the plate would be put in to cover the area removed during his brain operation, they said that would not be for a while and that it would be done a QMC, he already has an Outpatients appointment for February 2017!!!! at QMC.

After our break Garry had been tidied up and looked very comfortable but asleep Mum and Dad stayed with him for a short time before leaving and handing over to Luke and Penny....We waited until Sarah arrived so we could update her the information the doctor gave us.
Since we have been back at home we have seen the message from Sarah saying that she was greeted with a wave from Garry when she went into his room..1f642.png:) .

We thank you all for all of your kind Posts, Prayers and Donations for Garry. 2764.png<3.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ibo said:

Be strong my man :adminpower:

could not say it any better than Ibo 

keep on fighting you ol Ox garry , slow and easy is the way , i remember when you said that to me after my heart attack so i am passing that back to you, take it easy buddy. there will be times when your frustrated but just remember healing takes time and you need just keep on trying and never give up.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 2

Hey guys, another update, he's still keeping strong! Please remember he has a gofundme, every little helps, if you have ever had the privilege to meet Garry or get use from one of his many wise posts, then now is the time to give a little back! https://www.gofundme.com/2qxvm38

Update. Wednesday. #KeepStrongGarry

Having found Garry sleepy on our previous afternoon visits we decided that we would make our visit a later visit....At 3.15pm Angela, Garry's nurse for today telephoned us asking if we were visiting as there was discussion about moving Garry off of ICCU on to a ward but that the doctor's wanted to speak to us before it ...I'm sure you can imagine the thoughts which went through our minds!!!....
Remember being called in to the headmaster/mistresses office at school?.

We decided that we could not wait until later so left home at 3.40ish after letting Sarah know the hospital; had phoned us...

When we arrived Garry was awake and looked at us both and mouthed 'take me home' (Still can't use voice valve due to cough) .. We had to remind Garry that it was not possible at the moment and that he was in the best place for his care at the moment. He gave us a pained look but seem to reluctantly accept it, we told him that they were talking about moving him to a ward.....He had been coughing and when Angela came in we said we felt he needed suction on his tracheostomy which she did, she told us that he had not had any meds to calm him down today, Angela gave him some mouth care as he mouthed that he wanted water, he's still not allowed to have a drink, Angela seems to like to call Garry 'my little one'....Very endearing......

Garry kept moving his right leg and seemed not able to keep it still...(Question for the doctor) His movement was making him slip down the bed and Angela had to go and get another nurse to help ( Angela makes Garry's mum look tall) and asked us to step out for a short while.......

When we returned Garry looked a little more comfortable and was trying to mouth something to us but we couldn't make out what it was.....We do wish he wouldn't mumble....

A little while later the doctor arrived to have a chat with us......He recapped where we were with Garry's condition and progress, he told us that Garry no longer needed to be in the ICCU and that they were waiting for a bed on one of the wards, although the Stroke ward would be the obvious place, due to them deciding to keep the trachy in place it may mean that a respiratory ward would be better and he will need to be nursed one to one so extra staff will be needed. The move will either happen tonight or tomorrow....... We asked about the leg movements and the doctor said that this may be due to the left side of his body not currently receiving signals from his brain they are going to his right side and causing the excessive movements..(Chorea)...We had noticed that the area where the skull had been removed was a little swollen and the doctor said that Garry had excessive fluid at present and that this would normally show in swollen ankles, wrists. ect. but with Garry it was showing at his op site and there was no need to worry...( I was going to suggest they take off the pressure stocking Garry was wearing to let his ankles take the extra fluid, but I didn't).
The doctor said that they had not found any reason for Garry's high blood pressure in the investigations carried out so it's cause remains unknown.
The doctor reminded us that his progress is going take a long time and may be slow......

We went for a break having feeling relieved at the news given to us after thinking the worst........

When we returned to Garry he was still a little restless Mum said the the room should have aircon, as it felt warm, Garry pointed to two vents in the ceiling mum asked if they were the aircon Garry nodded Yes....

Garry started to settle and went to sleep peacefully but this only lasted for about 20 min when he had a coughing fit which woke him up and he again became restless, he wanted to turn on to his left side, Angela said she couldn't do it on her own and that he would have to wait until some one was free to help as the unit was busy with a new admission.......

It was now after 7pm and we felt that we should leave as they would soon be handing over to the night shift, we said our good nights and said we will see him at the weekend on the ward.

We thank you all for all of your kind Posts, Prayers and Donations for Garry. 2764.png<3.

Saturday update...............

Update Saturday. #KeepStrongGarry

Today we got to visit Garry on his new ward and were pleased to see that he was awake and far more responsive, Sarah had been with Garry for nearly 2 hours before we got there, she has already posted about how she has found him much improved...

We didn't get to see him straight away as the chest physio had just arrived to give him a session so we had to wait a short time.

When we finally got in to see him he squeezed our hands and smiled, Sarah gave us a quick run down of how he had been since she arrived, by then he was moving around the bed by grabbing hold of the bed-rails and trying to get himself into a more comfortable position he did this for a while but then clearly pointed at dad and mouthed the word 'nurse', dad asked if he wanted the nurse he nodded 'yes', when she came she asked if he wanted to change position, he again nodded 'yes' the nurse had to go and get assistance so we decided to take a break to give them room to sort him out.

When we arrived back one nurse was just finishing getting him sorted but he was still not satisfied and he indicated he wanted to move further up the bed, the nurse got Garry to grab hold of the bed head with his right hand and then dig his right leg into the mattress and push himself up the bed, he had to lower (tilt) the head of the bed, so that he wasn't trying to push himself uphill so to speak, Garry finally got himself in to a position he was happy with and then closed his eyes and relaxed.

Although Garry did not spend much time communicating with us it was a relief to finally see him relaxing calmly.

Garry seemed to be sleeping peacefully so we decided to leave as it was just after 6pm when dad approached the side of Garry's bed, he opened his eyes and looked at dad, dad asked if he had been listening to us talking Garry nodded yes......

We said our good-nights and left feeling very pleased with Garry's progress from earlier this week

Sarah showed us Garry's latest message he had written on his white board....

As always, We thank you all for all of your kind Posts, Prayers and Donations for Garry. 2764.png<3.

From facebook.............

Had a lovely visit this evening with Garry, we couldn't stop him from talking but it was so nice to see him his cheeky self again 1f642.png:) he asked me to post this for all you guys to see! #KeepStrongGarry ?

14908368_10211014974508902_3936552132534

Getting stronger by the day, Keep at it big man 

• Like 3

Wayhey you big ol strong Ox look propper comfy there fella.

great to see you have colour back and looking very comfy, long road ahead but time is the key here. hope to see more snaps of you as you get stronger - fitter and more able

keep strong buddy we all routing for you hear over at MSUK  

• 2 weeks later...

Monday update..........................

Update Monday #KeepStrongGarry

Garry has been reassessed by Speech and Language Therapy with regard to his swallowing and is now again allowed thickened fluids.

He is still on pureed foods and tonight's offering of pureed Turkey, Stuffing and Cranberry Sauce (Is Christmas coming?) looked like a gray mass and the taste, well both Mum and Dad had a little try and have to admit there were too many flavours, even in the very small amount we sampled, to make it enjoyable.....And there were pureed peas and CARROTS on the same plate.....

He has been told that if his swallowing continues to improve they may take his naso-gastric tube out later this week......

Garry told us that the Doctors and Physio's have said that he needs to work harder...

Garry has said that he can feel when his leg or arm are being touched but he couldn't say exactly where....

The Occupational Therapists have ordered a wheelchair for him and have said that they will be visiting home to carry out an assessment of what he may need to be able to come home.....

We have measured his current chair and we have doubts about whether we will be able to get it in through the front door, so it will be very interesting to see what ideas they come up with......

While we were there he had a 45 minute session with Physio.....this left him tired...

He checked his phone and seemed a little disappointed that he hadn't got any e-mails...but a huge number of messages to read sometime.

He misses his partner Sarah..( this is from Garry to you Sarah ) > 2764.png<3 <

We thank you all for all of your kind Posts, Prayers and Donations for Garry. 2764.png<3.

• 1 month later...

Hope your home garry. 

not heard any updates of late so hope your well and getting more stronger by the day. 

Merry christmas dude and a happy new year, i hope the new year brings you closer to being more active and able again to , 

From all at MSUK 

Stay strong bro !

Garry is still in hospital but was aloud home for Christmas day.

He's getting better every day though so im sure he'll be home soon.

Last posted update from Garry himself...........

Looks like my brain is picking today to have an emotional day. Loooking back at photos of myself a few months ago and can't believe how unwell i look, a week or two after my stroke. Its unreal to think how much i've lrogressed in such a short time, yet still a long way to go. I definitely can't help looking back at my FB wall and welling up reading all the messages and comments posted on it, i've got so many people to see and thank when I get discharge from here that it'll take me all year to be able to do it lol. But trust me, i won't forget all the support i've had it's been very appreciated 

Keep Strong Garry, everyday is a step forward 

• Like 2

Great to see you back on the forum Garry. Hope your recovery continues and you're back on your feet and bashing soon.

awesome to see you big man.

you need to just rest up and let time start to heal you. followed the updates here and via BHP on facebook. keep strong and let time work its wonders :) , and the icing on the cake is your back with us buddy, had us all worried for a while , but being the ol stong ox you are well enough said.

Mcnuggets eh and 20 in a sitting tut tut , mind you i have been a bit naughty on the old mini sausage rolls lol , keep up the physio and hope to see you up and about soon fella . 

Edited by Tamiyacowboy