• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

16 minutes ago, bjbear123 said:

I get shock oil leak out of my shocks slowly, shall i rub this over the shaft ? 

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/associated-factory-green-slime/rc-car-products/17177

No, you dont put it over the shaft, you need to rebuild your shocks, and use it on the o rings inside the shock, then refill with your oil an bleed.

1 hour ago, bjbear123 said:

I dont :) its just they look totally different... you think any will work ?

One reason the pinions look different is that one photo is of an 11-tooth pinion, the other of a 17-tooth.

Al.

51 minutes ago, bjbear123 said:

X-Maxx shocks are pretty big.

Somebody's already confirmed 30 wt is correct I believe.

Do you want it just to top-up?

One of those should be fine.

If its to replace as / when (should not be necessary for perhaps one year or more) then I'd work out how much you need.

My guess is that bottle's very small relative to the shocks, so you'll need possibly 1 bottle / shock at a guess!!

55 minutes ago, bjbear123 said:

Okay, well i have the 18T coming as well as the dual castle fan for the motor... do you know what else i would need to eliminate this strain ? 

As u gear up for more speed you are in essence doing what changing up a gear on your bicycle does... Or several gears... So u r making the elecs work harder just like u make your legs work harder. 

Some motor/ esc combos are happy to do this... As they are powerful/ capable. There are big questions over the ability of the stock motor and esc to handle running stock, no matter gearing up. 

However without testing we don't know yet... 

1) Get a temp gun

2) use it after a few mins run time on the motor, esc and batteries. 

3) reasonable temps for these various items is somewhat of a great area... I'm not an expert in this field myself.,. Others can confirm but I believe...roughly

motor: ideally not above 160-180f?

esc: 120f?

batts:? 100f?

the harder those elecs r working the more heat u should be generating in theory. 

Things like outside temps, air flow, running surface, driving style, tyres, bearings, gradient..... Etc can also effect a particular setup that could run cool in 1 scenario but hot in another! 

Getting to know your rig and a temp gun is key. 

18t pin sounds like a good start. Temp gun in hand!

• Like 1

I find with some of mine, they don't seem to leak at all, and the oil stays clean.

I find with one or 2, they don't leak, but the O-rings / bladders discolour the oil, which risks changing it - so when encountered, I empty, clean out, check O-rings, touch of Slime, refill with fresh.

I find with others, they still leak a little, oil looks clean, so just top up.

How often do I do it?

I've 2 sons, so only if I feel like opening up / notice the handling's a bit 'off'!!

One time I had MSR6 piggy back Integy's fitted to the Raminator - total garbage - I've so many spares for those heaps of junk - Slimed, re-ringed ... still leak until empty.

Ram's now got 'Hard Anodised, threaded' option Losi shocks and doesn't leak - job done!

I don't expect problems with the 'X', once the rings are bedded in.

Al.

21 minutes ago, Ocdcbr said:

As u gear up for more speed you are in essence doing what changing up a gear on your bicycle does... Or several gears... So u r making the elecs work harder just like u make your legs work harder. 

Some motor/ esc combos are happy to do this... As they are powerful/ capable. There are big questions over the ability of the stock motor and esc to handle running stock, no matter gearing up. 

However without testing we don't know yet... 

1) Get a temp gun

2) use it after a few mins run time on the motor, esc and batteries. 

3) reasonable temps for these various items is somewhat of a great area... I'm not an expert in this field myself.,. Others can confirm but I believe...roughly

motor: ideally not above 160-180f?

esc: 120f?

batts:? 100f?

the harder those elecs r working the more heat u should be generating in theory. 

Things like outside temps, air flow, running surface, driving style, tyres, bearings, gradient..... Etc can also effect a particular setup that could run cool in 1 scenario but hot in another! 

Getting to know your rig and a temp gun is key. 

18t pin sounds like a good start. Temp gun in hand!

Thanks for all this useful advise, 

After around a 1 hour drive i did a temp reading with a temp gun on the motor and heatsink, i was getting around 170 F / 78 C... that was stock gearing 15/54. 

I have just purchased the castle fan set which some people are using to mount on top of the motor and i also just brought the 16 T pinion, this hopefully should give a small speed bump and considering I'm going to have 2 fans mounted on top of the motor then this should compensate for the heat problem ?

I know you say that we don't know how powerful the stock setup is yet and if the gearing can be changed but why would have they added the easy gear mesh thing in the car which you move the pin to the correct gearing and then remount the motor, by Traxxas adding this surely they know people with experiment with optional pinions so it must be harmless ? 

3 minutes ago, sean-vrs said:

Have a look here

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?9051601-X-MAXX-Gearing-Chart!!

you can very quickly cook a motor/esc with enthusiastic gearing

Does it cause problems under gearing the car  for more torque? 

Edited by bjbear123

12 minutes ago, sean-vrs said:

You dont need to do that just gear up and take it steady

Just being a new truck I'm now slightly anxious about causing it to over heat, especially that i was reaching 78 C with the stock gearing an extra T on the pinion will only make the motor even hotter and to be fair the X-Maxx is pretty fast stock.

Rather then worrying about speed i am going to focus on getting my motor fans and front LED lights setup and putting some green slime on my shocks. 

Also i need to use some 3 In 1 oil on every single screw head so incase it does get wet then this will prevent rust... do you know any better alternative for this ? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bjbear123 said:

Just being a new truck I'm now slightly anxious about causing it to over heat, especially that i was reaching 78 C with the stock gearing an extra T on the pinion will only make the motor even hotter and to be fair the X-Maxx is pretty fast stock.

Rather then worrying about speed i am going to focus on getting my motor fans and front LED lights setup and putting some green slime on my shocks. 

Also i need to use some 3 In 1 oil on every single screw head so incase it does get wet then this will prevent rust... do you know any better alternative for this ? 

Much better plan fella ;) 

i use wd40 as a rust preventive, spray it on and wipe it off 

As for green slime your need to take the shocks apart clean them and rebuild them .. The green slime is used on the o rings as a sealant and lube .. Hopefully this will be the end of your leaky troubles you should need a couple of bottles of shock oil stick with 30 wt for now .. 

LED lights for now I'd give a miss as these with the fans can overload the power drian on the esc's BEC .. 

You have bought the latest new truck and as such it's a little unproven, there are some faults with it but these in time will have a solution so for now just use it as it is keep it well maintained and just have a little fun, as you grow in knowledge then start adding bits and bobs there's no rush to get it done straight away .. 

Make a a brew and read that manual I linked it's a wealth of info for a new owner and should answer a lot of questions for you , anything you don't understand just ask :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bjbear123 said:

I know they wear out, but seriously, the tread is the softest rubber, its softer than my E - Revo, even after about 5 runs i actually have small flappy bits of rubber hanging off let alone the seriousy reduced tire tread 

It's a heavy weight car, this will cause faster wear, especially on tarmac. 

As it's an off-roader, try running off-road, the tyres will last far longer. Traxxas will no doubt release road tyres for it, if they haven't already. 

• Like 1

78C is very hot, I wouldn't gear that up! 

• Like 1

Does it cause problems under gearing the car  for more torque? 

It can do, but that's unlikely in this case. Under-gearing usually causes the motor to spin up to rpms that're too high for it and this can cause a motor to overheat. 6S on this motor, with 9kg of car to pull around, means that the motor is unlikely to spin up too high. 

11 hours ago, bjbear123 said:

Thanks for all this useful advise, 

After around a 1 hour drive i did a temp reading with a temp gun on the motor and heatsink, i was getting around 170 F / 78 C... that was stock gearing 15/54. 

I have just purchased the castle fan set which some people are using to mount on top of the motor and i also just brought the 16 T pinion, this hopefully should give a small speed bump and considering I'm going to have 2 fans mounted on top of the motor then this should compensate for the heat problem ?

I know you say that we don't know how powerful the stock setup is yet and if the gearing can be changed but why would have they added the easy gear mesh thing in the car which you move the pin to the correct gearing and then remount the motor, by Traxxas adding this surely they know people with experiment with optional pinions so it must be harmless ? 

Because people will change the esc motor combo in a truck like this.

So this may be a silly question. But when applying these extra decals.  Where the hell do F and G  go? They look like the go on or around the front bumper. Looked on Google images. No one has seemed to fitted them yet. Have fitted all bonnet grilles.  It's just for curiosity really. 

Here's my unboxing...:D

still have not run it. :helpsmilie:( my mrs is a tyrant... And it's my sons bday weekend so all me time is gone!)

• Like 1