• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas X-Maxx.

Tug

Is it me, or is this esc issues getting sorted by these traxxas boffins as this is  the apparent  delay.  

So this should not even be an issue anymore. Yes traxxas should be a bit more transparent about what there are doing but time will tell.  So why are people still banging on about this esc problem. It's getting done foc so that's good enough for me.

Just cannot wait to get my hands on it. 

7 minutes ago, Ady 2215 said:

Is it me, or is this esc issues getting sorted by these traxxas boffins as this is  the apparent  delay.  

So this should not even be an issue anymore. Yes traxxas should be a bit more transparent about what there are doing but time will tell.  So why are people still banging on about this esc problem. It's getting done foc so that's good enough for me.

Just cannot wait to get my hands on it. 

ESC is supposed to have a few issues

traxxas said the shock shafts / wheels would be changed.  i don't think they have said anything about the ESC.   So what they are doing to the trucks in secret is any ones guess.

31 minutes ago, mond said:

Most of the premium 8th scale buggies from TLR, Mugen, Xray and a few others are all fault free. My TLR SCTE 2.0 has literally never needed single thing replaced from the original kit other than tyres. The front drive shaft may need new pins and a new cup this year. 

Tweaking to your needs is not the same thing. Fixing something fundamentally broken is borderline criminal. In fact it actually is in some circumstances. Just no one has decided to make issue of it because in RC it's a given that some stuff will just not work as advertised.  See Yeti XL and it's 6S compatibility. 

In your experience... Good points made and I agree. My mugen mbx6's ( 3 of them) have been faultless in my mind. 

There are grey areas though as with anything. Take the mt4... Many say bent chassis!... I did bend mine in the end... But I took a £6 precaution so it took me 2 years + to do it. To me I had no problem with this and think that's 1 of the best rc's value wise I've bought. 

I know doddy has/d the lstxxl2e... And he's been very unhappy with it. Others love it... 

Rigs like the octane come to mind. Hemistorm loves his... After lots of work. ( tuning and running in rather than parts)

back to the xmaxx. Until I get my hands on it and c 1st hand I don't c any major issues. Some esc's have caught fire. And?

if it's trash I'll b the 1st to say so! Until I use it myself I'm staying positive 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mond said:

Most of the premium 8th scale buggies from TLR, Mugen, Xray and a few others are all fault free. My TLR SCTE 2.0 has literally never needed single thing replaced from the original kit other than tyres. The front drive shaft may need new pins and a new cup this year. 

Tweaking to your needs is not the same thing. Fixing something fundamentally broken is borderline criminal. In fact it actually is in some circumstances. Just no one has decided to make issue of it because in RC it's a given that some stuff will just not work as advertised.  See Yeti XL and it's 6S compatibility. 

As you state the premium kits and you pay the premium, Traxxas are no more guilty than hpi,losi,axial all the rtr kit needs something it's not right but it is what it is. We are the consumers and we keep on buying so who is wrong?

even the last proline kit is not perfect it's a exspensive hopped up stampede and that has issues

• Like 1

Mayb they design high wear flawed items. Selling us bomb proof rcs isn't the best business model. Traxxas could of course provide diffs that could handle twice the power given. Buy diff soares are a pricey disposable peice.  So they don't. That's the cake taker.  

They don't even give chassis strut braces standard even tho they use plastic chassis.  The revo trucks finally got a chassis brace mayb 2yrs ago if that.  But I don't think it's standard.  

Edited by RCbutcher

Trouble is Traxxas are well known for cocking up there electrics so they should have learnt there lesson by now, couple this with some of the other bits like the diffs again another traxxas flaw bearings yet again another traxxas flaw, hmm there's a pattern coming here ? So I wonder what else will show up in time ? 

Yep apparently traxxas are doing something but what ? A replacement esc or a firmware update? if it's a firmware update what realistically can they do to improve it ? If it's a replacement why not make it common knowledge ? Or is it more the case of a manual change to safe guard themselves ? Until someone gets one and can compare it to the released ones no one knows ? 

Whatever it is and whatever is wrong with it it shouldn't have been released this way end of 

You can defend it till the cows come home and you can say other RC companies do this and that the same but this doesn't make it right ..it's great they have stepped in just a shame they didn't do it in its testing stage ? Which begs you to think what testing was done in the first place ? 

11 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

You can defend it till the cows come home and you can say other RC companies do this and that the same but this doesn't make it right ..it's great they have stepped in just a shame they didn't do it in its testing stage ? Which begs you to think what testing was done in the first place ? 

As someone who works in QA, I'll say this: Your QA guys doing the testing probably knew about all these problems. They probably reported them all. The engineers probably knew how to fix them. Like all things there was a business guy/producer/project manager who had to keep to budgets and answer to a board. They probably said screw it, release it anyway despite the problems as in turn that person was directed too by someone above. Ultimately there is a guy or several guys at Traxxas who said it was OK to release it in that state. 

I do wonder the same about the testing.... Who was testing these b4 they were released?whoever it was I'm guessing is getting fired!:huh:

after reading the above... No doubt I'm wrong as that sounds no doubt like how things work in reality. 

Better esc/ motor/ shocks/ diffs= £800+ price tag?....

Edited by Ocdcbr

You cannot compare a premium kit (keywords being premium _and_ kit) with a (more or less) affordable rtr car in which the manufacturer has to put cheapest electronics that does not instantly burn, to keep the price tag accessible

Sure a $2000+ car built from a premium kit plus titanium upgrades and having best electronics you can get for it is pretty much bomb proof

Just look at the stock electronics in a team associated rival (1:8 monster truck - 6kg with batteries) and have a good laugh (max 4s / 80amps esc, dual nimh batteries, 10kg servo - the esc goes first, than the servo, don't ask how I know). Then try a bigger jump and start breaking shocks.

Edited by danb1974
  • Like 1

That's a notable point, look at what people will pour into a Savvy, Maxx, Baja or 5ive build! Then and only then, when the big money is spent, do you have a car that'll run and run. 

(Yes, I'm fully aware of how reliable a 5ive is out of the box! ;) )

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, danb1974 said:

You cannot compare a premium kit (keywords being premium _and_ kit) with a (more or less) affordable rtr car in which the manufacturer has to put cheapest electronics that does not instantly burn, to keep the price tag accessible

Sure a $2000+ car built from a premium kit plus titanium upgrades and having best electronics you can get for it is pretty much bomb proof

Just look at the stock electronics in a team associated rival (1:8 monster truck - 6kg with batteries) and have a good laugh (max 4s / 80amps esc, dual nimh batteries, 10kg servo - the esc goes first, than the servo, don't ask how I know). Then try a bigger jump and start breaking shocks.

The point of those kits is you don't need upgrades. I've run my 8ight 2.0 into a wooden fence at 50mph and all it broke was a king pin. An Xray XB8E is about £500. Spend another  £250 on some Tekin electronics and maybe £50 on a servo and that's £800. A Durango or TLR Truggy will be a similar cost. You could stick a HW ESC and Motor and knock 50-100 quid off that too. 

How much was an E-Revo again? ;)

Edited by mond
  • Like 2

This is a message I got from the Traxxas forum after they deleted a bunch of my posts about the shipment hold-up being ESC related:

" Speculation threads and posts like the ones you have been spamming the X-Maxx forum will be closed or deleted. Traxxas performs strict quality control checks on all products. X-Maxx is in high demand and will be available as future shipments are received and approved to ship. If you have questions about your Traxxas products, please contact our customer support team at 888-TRAXXAS. "

What a joke.

I'd def agree that ideally we should all buy high quality kits and put good electronics into them, then we have w high quality package often at a price that is not much more than an rtr after upgrades/ improvements....

Going for a top race grade truggy and putting a tekin system in it would have no doubt saved me a few pounds over the last 3 years..(if I'd got on with it as a basher and occasional track user)... But I'd have missed out on experiencing other rigs. 

At the moment there is not a race kit level mt out there at this scale and rough price point is there?... £600 ish for the kit?

so I'm guessing most buyers of this xmaxx like me are willing to go with it and take our chances that it's a good fun rc. Fairly durable/reliable...

and I know that spending loads on upgrades isn't a great idea.... I don't want to be a £1000 into this xmaxx, ( too quickly) but with traxxas at least there will likely be options from rpm, proline, castle etc if they are needed and / or wanted. 

I can imagine proline bodies and tyre/ wheel choices, rpm plastics and various manufacturers esc and motor choices in the future...if traxxas gets its act together b4 buyers give up waiting!!! 

16 minutes ago, sean-vrs said:

Apparently repeatedly running the Xmaxx in rain snow and water makes the bearings rust! 

Omg! Get the pitch forks out!!!! :boredlook:

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, supersavage said:

Don't forget the torches...On second thought the esc will have you covered there.

Allegedly... For some... If unlucky...if it's a full moon...and u r wearing a baseball cap...backwards....apparently. :storm:

• Like 1

We can guess how the motor discussion went. 

Sir the motor isn't enough it's over heating we should really look into this. "LOOK (mp voice) this is a business we can't swap that at this stage go search ebay for a China heatsink then haggle them" 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ocdcbr said:

Allegedly... For some... If unlucky...if it's a full moon...and u r wearing a baseball cap...backwards....apparently. :storm:

even  Big Squid had issues with the ESC and it is a little more worrying than just dying.

On 18/01/2016 at 11:41 AM, mydoddy69 said:

There's tweaking to suit your needs and there's fixing an apparent flaw ..

I wouldn't call an esc an odd issue either fella sorry 

Yes there are no rtr trucks or no rc's on the market that will require nothing to suit your needs its that grey area in-between whats okay or not that these fat cat companies exploit and i do feel Traxxas take it to the max at times.

I wish you well for your new arrival and hope it all goes well but if i was you i wouldn't be to surprised if it doesn't i will look forward to your thoughts and vids fella thats for sure tho ;)

For all we know the ESC could be perfectly fine, now they are supposed to be adressing the issue hence the delay.

I know I am out, therefore my opinion null and void, but we simply do not know what tweaks are been made during this delay. They could be minor changes that have no effect and we are still left with an inferior product. However, to my knowledge, no one on here (or the EU) has one of these "fixed" (if they are indeed doing a fix) Trucks, so every issue that we have witnessed so far in the US may be completely irrelevant once we get our hands on them,

Its a brand new truck, there are going to be issues. That doesnt matter wether its a R/C car or a gaming console. What DOES matter is how the company responds to these issues. Lets give it a few months in the market before we start deciding it needs a new ESC or Baja shocks. Lets see what Traxxas "fix".

For now, its all just speculation. I do love a big discussion though. Was more fun when my name was on the list mind.

Edited by Guns
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mond said:

The point of those kits is you don't need upgrades. I've run my 8ight 2.0 into a wooden fence at 50mph and all it broke was a king pin. An Xray XB8E is about £500. Spend another  £250 on some Tekin electronics and maybe £50 on a servo and that's £800. A Durango or TLR Truggy will be a similar cost. You could stick a HW ESC and Motor and knock 50-100 quid off that too. 

How much was an E-Revo again? ;)

You've just compared a Monster Truck to a 1:8th buggy? You might as well compare your XB8E to an R/C helicopter...

I totally agree there is no beating a 1:8th buggy for durability. In fact I cant think of a bad one. But its such a generic R/C. it just a vehicle that moves. Its not really got a 1:1 Scale Equivilant. Its just a Chassis with a shell moulded over. I guess thats why it works so well, it concerntrates on working as an R/C car as opposed to having a Character. A bit like those space frame race cars with a generic bodyshell that vaguely look like its 1:1 counter part. Theyre great, but IMO completely different to a Monster truck

Whatever you guys say, theres nothing like the Xmaxx anywhere near this price.......

Edited by Guns
  • Like 2

It is true the xmaxx could have been the best dropped everybody's jaws it will actually but it could have been on everyone's wanted list. But traxxas tried to bleed the cow after milking it. There still making the mincing machine now lol. 

If they built it for the hobbyist it would be the absolute best. 

That's my only downer on the truck I would happily upgrade it. But it's the xbone of the rc world.  E3 has happened people have moved on. Who's gonna build the ps4 rc equivalent. 

Edited by RCbutcher