• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Jumpshot MT

PraetoR

Looks pretty fixed to me :)

The initial noise may have been down to the geqars being fractionally out of alignment and the first few blasts just settled it perfectly. Certainly sounds OK when you were running it outside.

Next thing is to give it a good session, then pull the diff out and check for wear. If the teeth are starting to tear, you'll see it clear enough. In the meantime....it's got the wee beastie up and running :)

• Like 1

Well,

Yesterday morning, Matthew and I took our trucks to the local BMX track and skate park, with the camera, to do some filming. I didn't go that well!!

Firstly, Matthew had ill-fitting pins in the wheel hexes of his Ruckus, so they stripped-out. My Jumpshot ran, handled and jumped fine, but suffered some seriously heavy impacts at the skate park... I may have overdone it, a tad... Anyway, my servo saver has snapped and I've squinted my wheelie bar. The wheelie bar can be bent back, no problem, so just the sevo saver broken.

Not too disastrous, but the entire footage we got may have to be scrapped as these two PAIN IN THE ARSE kids followed us about, making stupid noises and walking in shot. I don't know what the rules are for putting vidoes up online with someone's kids in them, but it's not something I want to do. Plus, I honestly feel they ruin the videos, anyway.

Finally, gearbox is definitely louder...

Edited by Praet0r87

Just sent a rather scathing e-mail to HPI regarding their... ahem... "super tough Monster Truck".

Coincidentally, Alun from Tay Models happened to phone them at exactly the same time on my behalf.

He's a bit of a ledge, said to them "If you have anything stronger than chocolate to make your gears out of, I suggest you try making some new gears out of that, instead." :clapping:

• Like 1

Sad thing for me about this is hte fact that they already make a 2WD truck with a driveline capable of handling a hot brushless setup. They could have re-used those parts here and had a truck that was able to handle more power....or even just made the idler and diff case in metal rather than plastic.

Instead, they have come up with a design that is just able to handle the stock motor, but has zero potential for upgrade.

Did they not plan on releasing a Flux version of it later on? Were they just waiting to see what happens when someone else does it?

Common sense says either use FS parts or use the experience of the Firestorm with it's all metal diff and idler setup and say ' that's tough enough....make it like that'. Then you can release a truck with a very durable driveline stock....and the ability to upgrade to a Flux version without needing to change the production line.

• Like 2

Well, Noj, that all depends on what your halloween costume is! If, for example, you dressed up as "new-born little baby Noj", then I thank you, but no. :P

The e-mail they originally sent was useless guff. Along the lines of thank you for choosing HPI... we always strive for better... nothing at the moment... keep on top of our website updates... blah blah blah. A lot of nothing.

Nitroholic, fortunately, they have a really helpful guy on their team who has been on the phone to Alun several times today. He's been in touch with their R&D department, both here and in the USA, and is feeding-back what we've been saying. He's also going to route-through manuals for older, discontinued models, such as the Rush stadium truck, to see if there are any parts in stock that can be used/modified/fitted/bodged.

Everything you say makes perfect sense, to me, I have no idea why they didn't go from past experiences and past materials. Neither of the guys mentioned anything about a brushless one in the future, as I was told originally, so I don't know what the story is on that.

Edited by Praet0r87

Sad thing for me about this is hte fact that they already make a 2WD truck with a driveline capable of handling a hot brushless setup. They could have re-used those parts here and had a truck that was able to handle more power....or even just made the idler and diff case in metal rather than plastic.

Instead, they have come up with a design that is just able to handle the stock motor, but has zero potential for upgrade.

Did they not plan on releasing a Flux version of it later on? Were they just waiting to see what happens when someone else does it?

Common sense says either use FS parts or use the experience of the Firestorm with it's all metal diff and idler setup and say ' that's tough enough....make it like that'. Then you can release a truck with a very durable driveline stock....and the ability to upgrade to a Flux version without needing to change the production line.

This is what initially led me to the Jumpshot. The Firestorm Flux was amazing out the box. No hop us needed....

However, I've blown the budget on an X Maxx now......

Got the bash video finally done. Had to do a smeg-load of editing, to try and make those idiot kids both silent and invisible. As good as I could, anyway!

Definitely need Noj and his costume, for next time!

Edited by Praet0r87

There is no 'HPI System' .... there trucks are using different designs. The Bullet is a very old design modernised. Used to be a Hot Bodies truck. The diffs were not really intended for big wheels and things like driveshafts dropping out were due to increased suspension travel. HPI put out a video to cure it by reducing shock travel......

If you are loooking at a 2WD monster truck...then their are better options than the Jumpshot right now. Like the Proline MT, or even the Stampede...but if HPI sort the plastic geared driveline, then I reckon the Jumpshot would be a fine truck. It's just got a driveline intended for low powered brushed motors and not anything faster. Shame. With chunky wheels, it looked nice and I still think the rest of it is well up to the job.

If you are looking for a 4WD truck, then there are lots of other options. Personally...I am nopt a fan of the Bullet....but I have developed a liking for my little Savage XS. My next task will be to make it able to handle a bit more power so I can try 3S without the drive eating itself :)

Erm guys just out of interest have we heard of any other Jumpshot gears failing yet? It still might have been a faulty part, especially on a new model. 

There seems to be a lots of assuming they will all fail.

Is the Bullet Stadium/Monster truck a better option or is the HPI 4wd system a bit rubbish?

I loved my Bullet Flux. Standard but running on 3S it was perfect. I didnt own it long enough for any long term review of how it handled the 3S however.