• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Jumpshot MT

PraetoR

Who says the Jumpshot looks pansy?? :thumbsup:

dUE2q5H.jpg?1

7BwC5uo.jpg?1

HGHWSG5.jpg?1

sL6pNAk.jpg?1

I always thought, since I first saw it, that the Jumpshot's chrome wheels let it down, badly. I didn't realise, however, just how much of an impact some decent wheels would make... it looks absolutely badass!! Just look at the difference compared to a standard one!

I no longer think it needs a front bumper, either. Though it DEFINITELY needs a rear wheelie bar, the bigger diameter wheels mean it will flip right over backwards, as the back-end no longer sticks out far enough. I also have tucked away the ariel, as it's 2.4ghz and does not need a long ariel. And for poweeeeeeeer... a Castle 4600kv combo running 2s.

The chassis on this thing is beautiful. In the flesh, it's absolutely stunning. Beautifully finished and of super high quality materials. Could not be happier with it.

• Like 2

As some of you know, this truck is my payment for running Tay Models for a week, as the owner, and my friend, is on holiday. I got all this for nothing!

Sidewinder ESC was a bit of a squeeze, I'd definitely recommend a smaller ESC on this truck.

tZGTT22.jpg?1

8q3ouuI.jpg?1

6uBk9Aq.jpg?1

Oh, and 2s, because 3s on a 1/10 RWD monster truck would be silly! :tease:

Edited by Praet0r87

WARNING, PICTURE HEAVY UPDATE.

My last day working in Tay Models was Sunday. It was quiet all morning, so I spent my time listening to AC/DC and tweeking the Jumpshot. :D

As I mentioned before, first thing it needed was a wheelie bar, so I made one out of parts of a cut-down Savage wheelie bar and some links I found lying around.

6Aj15Ld.jpg?1

VQTBGEu.jpg?1

It looked alright... time would tell! In the meantime, I liked the look of the truck, overall, but I still wanted it to look more purposeful, mean and just plain cooler. I realised one of the things I didn't like were the horrid HPI Racing stickers, which were just plain, unbroken, solid blocks of orange. These didn't help the looks at all, so I peeled several of them off and replaced them with the subtler Castle Creations stickers and a few Pro-line ones, as well.

Much happier with the look.

kSGww2f.jpg?1

5DGTjLt.jpg?1

Put side-by-side with a standard Jumpshot, it clear to see that a few subtle sticker changes can have quite a big impact on the overall look and attitude of the truck.

DoFpFSz.jpg?1

07WyQMh.jpg?1

3etIsli.jpg?1

5mV4zj0.jpg?1

bi8dnB6.jpg?1

However, even after all that... something was still bugging me...

It was the front-end. It still had a whiff of happy, friendly, silly about it, despite my efforts to "man it up".

I finally figured out what it was...

THAT bottom-grill. It looks like a moronic, friendly smile.

Jzx7dCD.jpg?1

Infact, it reminded me of a certain Johnny 5, with all of his loveable daftness!

shortcircuit6.jpg

So off it came, and WHAT a difference! I'm very happy with how it looks now.

rdq1RcL.jpg?1

cMGkzod.jpg?1

z5tiI97.jpg?1

Many people have commented on the Jumpshot's "pansy", "silly" or even "toy grade" looks, but mine looks 100% mean and ready to get stuck in with the best of them. Pretty sure the truck would have been much better received, overall, if it looked like this, rather than how it does as stock.

At home I took some side-by-sides with the truck it has been brought-in to replace; my retired Losi High Roller. The Jumpshot is lower, shorter, narrower and more squat than the High Roller, but it feels far more substantial and makes the poor old High Roller look kind of like a stick insect, sitting up so high with it's long suspension arms and skinny tyres! The Jumpshot looks far more focused and brutal.

D8BICmi.jpg?1

5I8MrEs.jpg?1

KjAcqcD.jpg?1

urPpGdS.jpg?1

Since these photos were taken, I had my maiden test with the Jumpshot, on the street, and, sadly, had a pretty poor time of it! :(

Firstly, speaking of "brutal", that Castle Creations combo is absolutely SAVAGE (pardon the pun)!! It literally does standing backflips!

How so, as it has a wheelie bar??.... Wellllllll... that broke, straight away. The top links snapped, instantly, as the wheelie bar hit the ground, such was the power of that brushless system. As a result, the wheelie bar spun and smacked into the spur-gear cover, punching a hole in it! Additionally, the truck hit the ground, upside down, with the force of a 5 megaton nuclear bomb, cracking the shell and the rear shock tower!!

So not a good start! Parts on their way, already!

On the plus side, despite the truck doing some horrendous end-over-end somersaults along the tarmac at probably 40+mph (multiple times), nothing else on the truck broke. The front-end is completely intact. Let me tell you, the beating it took would have turned the High Roller into Losi-branded confetti! As far as toughness goes, with a decent wheelie bar, this truck will be a superb basher and it actually handled well. It never traction-rolled once, despite the enourmous grip generated by those big Pro-line Trenchers.

I'm going to fix it, as soon as the parts arrive and steal the wheelie bar from my High Roller. It will require some additional modifying to fit, but I have little choice, as HPI do not yet have a wheelie bar for this truck. I have Alun at Tay Models ringing the HPI dealer to ask if there will be one available in the near future.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm just hoping I judged the distance properly. Don't have the rear shock tower yet, but was itching to get things done, so it was guesswork!

I can always fit larger/smaller wheels if the wheelie-angle has been made too steep/gradual.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, not been on for a while. I kinda gave up on RC, but i have Garry the mod on here on facebook so and noticed he posted a picture. Im 99% this is what im going to go for as a cheap truck, ill just add a brushless system and some 2S lipos...

I was just wondering does anyone have a picture of one of these next to a Savage Flux etc?

thanks

I did fear this lol.  Built alot of Stampede and Rustlers back in what I guess would be 2002/3, using some of the very first brushless systems, and idlers were the first to go. Advantage was back then aluminium idlers were already avaliable.

My original idea was a Stampede. Ive probably had 15 of them over the years in various guises, but coming in "new" I wanted something cheap and cheerful, i could use sparringly etc.

Im tempted by the Bullet Flux MT, but Ive had two of those in the passed. On 3s they were great, but didnt have them long enough to confirm any long term durability.

Hmmm. Was tempted to pop to Wheelspin Models tomorrow and pick one up.

Thank you for the video however :)

Edited by Guns

You're welcome. ^_^

Have you considered an ECX Ruckus? My brother in Law has the mk1 and it's as tough as nails. The only things to go, are the likes of driveshafts, and those are upgraded as standard on the mkII. Cheap as chips, too. Then, there is the Arrma Granite, which is even better.

This might be of interest:

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/2wd-rtr-monster-truck-shootout/

Yeah, I understand that. But ECX is Horizon Hobby, so parts support should be OK. Certainly, he has never been made to wait long for parts at any point. As it comes, box-fresh, the Ruckus has proven itself to be better than my HPI Jumpshot. When they release the alloy gearbox parts, we'll re-assess that statement! :P

Proline Pro MT is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the Ruckus, but it should be, because it costs multiple times the price. If you're simply bashing around, I can't see the PMT justifying the extra cost...

... Unless you're loaded, in which case, PMT every time!