• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Every rc car iv ever own has been trouble !

Paco

Just think about what the model car is doing compared to a full scale car. If you drove your real car like it, would nothing ever break on it?

Do you ever see a rally or racing car go a whole season without anybody working on or fixing it!

• Like 1

my mate is for ever fixing his rc's because he has a very heavy throttle finger...which is all good n well if u can pull off the jump and land it half decent..which he don't /can't seem to do atm...and he's going through his spare 3x revos like there's no tomorrow.. because of his lack of driving skills I suspose. .lol!!..but he chucks things togather with little thought and prep..ie..His on off swith is swinging about in the breeze. .all because he won't take the time to secure it properly...y??...dunn. know.. not the hardest thing to do... .

U expect thing to break when u slam into tree stumps or take over skate parks but don't expect servos to fail diff cups to break sper gears an stuff like that

actually i do expect stuff like that, because i know my driving style is hard on the car i fully expect something to break at some point.

in fact many of my car get broken on their first run, mainly because i'm finding its limits and went too far. i often upgrade the parts i break for something better, because it means the car more likely to survive my driving.

my HPI Baja is a very good example of how i go about the hobby, to begin with i was breaking parts every run, each time replacing the broken parts with something stronger, changing alloy of plastic for example, that car has changed alot, it used to be the most unreliable rc i had, now its the one i struggle to break, because all the time and money i've spent enjoying it has resulted in one hell of a fun car to drive, because it can now handle my driving style.

most of the cars that get sold will never see a large jump or a kerb, and manufacturers don't nee dot put alot of money into their cars being able to handle these when most of them won't need it.

you can think about it in the same way the 1:1 cars are used, you can take any old car around on the road and being sensible, but if you want to start racing it or going off road over some rough ground, what you get out of the factory just isn't going to cut it.

in the same way, these cars wear out, eventually you hit a point when you have things breaking all the time as things wear out completely, at that point you need to ask yourself if its worth fixing up, or sending it off and starting again.

in the same way as rc, most of the cars sold will neer see off road action or be raced, there is no reason for them to spend the r&d money and time to accommodate the few, and raise their products price in the process

Edited by Thunderwolf

The answer is to not worry about it.  Use and enjoy what you own on your terms.  If things break, pick models which are more durable as a starting point.  I find it VERY hard to have breakages on my Losi 5ives as an example.  The Proline Monster Truck is another which I have abused so far with very good outcomes to date.  Touches wood!  :)

Thats the one thing about this hobby i don't get. You spend out your hard saved cash to buy the best you can afford to turn around and try and smash it to bits!!! Abit of a contradiction really

I never try to break a car, can't see the point in that. If you want to break it, drive it at a brick wall.

However, a bad landing from a small jump is all it takes. These I accept as unlucky, then set about finding a solution.

Thats the one thing about this hobby i don't get. You spend out your hard saved cash to buy the best you can afford to turn around and try and smash it to bits!!! Abit of a contradiction really

you say that like we try to break them on purpose.

which isn't true, at least not for me, i drive them to have fun, them getting broken is nothing more than a side effect.

I never try to break a car, can't see the point in that. If you want to break it, drive it at a brick wall.

However, a bad landing from a small jump is all it takes. These I accept as unlucky, then set about finding a solution.

I have to agree tug, I never go out with the intention of smashing up x amount of pounds worth of gear but if something does break, then it gets fixed.

As said, compare it to a real car, with care and maintenance it will give you a good service life back, same goes for rc, and rtr is never that, rtr should be ready to rebuild........

was a month in 2006, i sat all smiley faced. 

had just aquired a holy grail system ( in those days ) a very few were in the uk at the time

a castle creations mamba 25 and a 8000kv motor. cost me somewhere around the 100 quid mark

and micro sized. at the time i was running a very expensive race breed novak mini esc

so i grabbed the rc18 mini buggy that ran stock rims and shoved in the powerplant.

set up my throttle curve and punchouts and stood on the road side.

it went quick. i mean when i say quick i mean  " Oh ************ my holy god in mother hell " 

i launched it from standstill, it hit about 40mph drifting sideways as it threw out this lump of metal and a large crunch.

i had ripped out and snapped in half a full metal dogbone, the new tyres were slick pin tyres in a few seconds. 

i did not go out to break machine. i went out to see what i had created , works out adding 1/10th wheels and foams

was the way to go, but it was a months wait for repairs and parts to turn up. 

instinct is you see a launch spot and you go for it, how far will your machine really fly and how fast can you launch it at.

its 99% the drivers error, just not knowing when to calm down on the gas , thats why stuff breaks, its human nature to push this to breaking point and beyond.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

I never ever did get that either.

That to me is a complete oxymoron.

The same people complaining about having to fix them, the running costs, not knowing why it won't work etc... Then they have in their signature 'if it ain't broke, you're not having fun' or 'if it ain't broke, you aren't trying hard enough'

Personally for me I've done some quite silly jumps with certain RC's and broken things, but that's at the end of a bash when I know I'm going home in 5 minutes anyway and if I'm not going to get back out for a little while again.

Mainly two reasons, if it breaks, I've found a weak spot but not caused myself any less run time because it's the end of the day anyway, and I can then upgrade said part to stop it happening again and thus having a stronger overall RC.

If I don't break something, it's a nice little added bonus and I know that particular RC can do a particular jump at whatever speed.

I say stick to what you're actually going to do in real life, I mean when you would jump your RC and purposely land nose down or into a fence like that tool Jang used to do.

Unless of course, you're a bit of a tool yourself :lol:

Perhaps something like this may take away the troubles http://www.modelsport.co.uk/carrera-rc-red-bull-nx1/rc-car-products/378611

Or perhaps this:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/carrera-gear-monster-rc-monster-truck/rc-car-products/378928

Not too fast, built from tough plastics.....

Let's remember this one fact: RC is still cheaper than crack, so bash away :)

most times it is down to who is driving the car.  i have seen people destroy cars because they think the cars are supposed to handle anything.  they will drive straight into walls and just keep the power on then wonder why it breaks.  a couple of years ago me and a mate got 2 news cars that were the same  we ran them in the same place as each other and we only ran them together. in less than a month mine still looked good and ran just like new.  while his was a total right off  everything glued and all electrics near the end of life.  basically you could not use anything on it.  it was not even fit for the spares bin. 

Every RC I've had has given problems, one way or another.

Many were self inflicted - MERV on 3S at full chat when I'm distracted, swerves slightly, goes airborne and hits the corner of some fencing 4 feet up at 40+ mph ... THAT HURT!!

My ORIGINAL E-Maxx was brilliant, until someone in an RC bike literally tapped a rear tie-rod, snapped it and that was 30 minutes' fun cut to 2 minutes!!

It's the hobby. Get used to it!

Much you can 'engineer out', but much is 'unfortunate' and 'chance' - can never know.

My FG MT is an absolute powerhouse beast, weights 18 kg and MOVES!!

Relative to the smaller Maxx and Ram, its 'slow', but I wouldn't say 40 mph is slow!!

The main thing is its REALLY difficult to get up to speed when the surface is a bit muddy.

Saw a perhaps 5 year old lad on a scooter, told 'STAY THERE, DO NOT MOVE!!' knowing his Grand-Dad was nearby.

I got the truck slithering at first, then straight, up to full chat, looked ahead to where it was headed now that it was straight - JUST WHERE I TOLD HIM NOT TO GO!

Front bumper bent, scooter literally folded in two, with the lad somersaulted over the bars - not hit directly .... quite spectacular actually!!

Nobody really hurt - Grand-dad said he saw it wasn't my fault, would explain, and happy days!!

Didn't go back for a week or two!!

Al.

At moment I have hpi maverick blackout 1/5 up graded engine an other bits an a losi xxx sct , an my daughter has a ftx vantage , as yes do drive hard an hit any think that looks like jump all weather conditions, but ent that what there made for

the blackout is known to be a weak car, and the losi is a racer not a basher, maybe more research could have been done to prevent buying money pits? My firestorm, slash 4X4, losi 5ive were all absolutely bombproof but i would never drive my losi 8ights in the same manner as they are racers

• Like 1

Get 2 cars then one when breaks use the other.sorted, when both broke come home, great exercise carrying them across the field 16Kgs each do a couple of curls while you walk and a few squats, full workout and playtime. glass half full.............................

Get 2 cars then one when breaks use the other.sorted, when both broke come home, great exercise carrying them across the field 16Kgs each do a couple of curls while you walk and a few squats, full workout and playtime. glass half full.............................

Most of us have gone WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY past 2 cars! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

the blackout is known to be a weak car, and the losi is a racer not a basher, maybe more research could have been done to prevent buying money pits? My firestorm, slash 4X4, losi 5ive were all absolutely bombproof but i would never drive my losi 8ights in the same manner as they are racers

[quote name="norcoforever" post="2132774" timestamp="1425043981

Edited by Paco

Well my blackout ent weak hit a ftx carnage at full belt cuming of a jump on Friday, the ftx looked like it exploded was a complete mess my blackout was fine don't even can corse , what a beast !!!!