• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Got to quit teaching - any ideas welcome!

Si Coe

Can't hack this stupid job anymore - work load is beyond ridiculous and I just can't see myself keeping it up till I reach retirement age.

But the problem is that I've been doing this for 12 years now, so I'm actually quite well paid. Well better than an entry level at another job at least.

So any ideas what I can do instead given that I've got a masters in chemistry, 5 years in the chemical industry (which no longer exists) and 12 years teaching secondary science.....

Im only 16 and only worked for just over a year so probably not gonna give the greatest of advice.

But i'd say its best just to speak to your employer/manager or whoever is in charge and let them know how you feel and explain to them that the work is getting a bit too much for you and see if they can help you with it in any way? 

Sorry bud but thats all I have...  :shockingscary:

Can't hack this stupid job anymore - work load is beyond ridiculous and I just can't see myself keeping it up till I reach retirement age.

But the problem is that I've been doing this for 12 years now, so I'm actually quite well paid. Well better than an entry level at another job at least.

So any ideas what I can do instead given that I've got a masters in chemistry, 5 years in the chemical industry (which no longer exists) and 12 years teaching secondary science.....

Is it the actual job you are fed up with...or just the place you work?

Both.

Some issues are specific to my current school, but many are just general.

You have to remember my wife is also a teacher, so is her sister, half my friends etc. I have a good enough idea of what other places are like to know that moving might buy a short respite but won't solve things overall.

I've got another 25 years till I can retire (if it doesn't get moved further back) and I'm damned sure I can't keep going that long so I reckon its time to move now.

Hi, sorry to hear you are not happy in your work, I have been there myself, not as a teacher but as a mechanic...TBH my dad and all my mates were....and failing at school (didn't really have the attention span required or could be bothered...TBH I am now quite embarrassed about whole thing now) as cars were all I knew and cared about..LOL......

But as johny nitro says, finding a new career is not as stupid as it seems....I done it...I changed to be a Architectural technician and went back to college and now I design manage multi-million pound construction projects in London as a Senior Project Co-ordinator in London and an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Building soon to be full Member..

Changing is jobs and every thing I knew was tough start....but long term looking back its amazing how much more invigorated and passionate I am about my work and what I do.

I hope you get something sorted either in your current placement or future ventures, I am sure you get something sorted...

Both.

Some issues are specific to my current school, but many are just general.

You have to remember my wife is also a teacher, so is her sister, half my friends etc. I have a good enough idea of what other places are like to know that moving might buy a short respite but won't solve things overall.

I've got another 25 years till I can retire (if it doesn't get moved further back) and I'm damned sure I can't keep going that long so I reckon its time to move now.

In any job there will be things of annoyance and the longer you tolerate those things the more intolerant you become...if you are reminded of the same annoyances at home then that will never help...but...

It sounds like you are positive you need a change of direction?

Oh and good luck on the 25 years unless they move it.  :whistling:

Edited by Anthoop

Well it just gets weirder!

I've already flat out told the assistant principle that line manages my dept that I've had enough and I'm leaving teaching - but my year 11 GCSE group have kinda talked me into waiting out this year first. We've worked together for 3 years now and they figure I'm their best chance of good science grades so I can respect that. They are the best class I've had in years and pretty much the only reason I've kept going at times - they've earned it.

Now we've got the permanent secretary for education (ie the real power behind the dept of education not the education minister) coming to visit in a couple of days. And he wants to see some GCSE science - which means those very same year 11's......

So here I am, all set to quit the profession and suddenly the only people that are keeping me in it are about to bring one of the people most responsible for me want to leave into my lesson.

Its so crazy I can't even believe it as I write it!

Still  - got to go. 25 more year 11 books to mark before this guy can grace my classroom. No sleep tonight :boo:

Become a gardener - do part time home tutoring work or supply teaching while you build a customer base.

As work slows down in the winter get some courier work or maybe do more on the tutoring front.

Working outside is fantastic :) :)

I've just started college studying engineering and the difference between secondary school and college is massive. As everyone wants to be there behaviour isn't really an issue so I think its better for both student and teacher as you get more done. What you would teach at a college is most likely going to be a few levels up compared to GCSE chemistry so you might find teaching it a little bit more enjoyable.

So - Thursday night I ended up with about 2 hours sleep getting everything sorted for this guy coming on Friday.

The idea is some of my top set students meet him, then he accompanies them back to class to see them working. But the second part never happens - halfway through the lesson the students return and tell me 'yeah, he's probably not coming to class'. So in the end all that work was wasted.

But it gets worse because that garbled message from a student was literally the only thing I've heard. No 'Thanks for helping', no 'Sorry we couldn't come in the end'. Nothing.

Now I've got to spend much of this weekend preparing for a stupid observed lesson on Monday.

This is why I'm fed up and want to leave.

A few years ago FE would have been the perfect answer - although I haven't taught A-Level for 10 years so its quite hard to get in to. However FE is changing now all school leavers HAVE to do some college. They are now starting to get people who don't want to be there but have to and its going to get more challenging.

Mind you that makes this a good time to move to FE as my secondary experience is actually useful......

Have you thought about moving to a special needs school?

I'm an IT analyst based in schools and have covered quite a few different schools across the LA. The schools I've enjoyed working in the most have been special needs. There's far less focus on grades (as most kids will never take exams) and the atmosphere as far more relaxed and the staff turnover is far lower.

I'm currently looking after one of the biggest schools in the LA and I hate it there. Staff turnover is a lot higher as well, annual staff turnover alone is equalling the number of teachers at the sn school.