• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Yeti XL reveal pics

TWINSET

The price is stopping me, Tug; you and I both share the love of the big rig, especially where there is potential to install large cans ;)

Pre-xmas trip to the US with empty suitcases maybe?? ;)

The price is stopping me, Tug; you and I both share the love of the big rig, especially where there is potential to install large cans ;)

Pre-xmas trip to the US with empty suitcases maybe?? ;)

OK, I'm in.

I've got an XL and the 1/10. The issues found on the 1/10 havent appeared yet. It's built to be abused.

Having hammered several packs through it, I am impressed by just how strong it is (I'm a fan of going big).

Axial have almost got it perfect imo.

Hey rob, glad to see you here, I was the one with the disco at radshape, my lad had the slash constantly on its roof, lmao...

Yeah this was soaking up the bashing area with ease and having owned both revo and savage in electric form, this is just another league!!

Very high on my wish list now but I will more likely end up with its baby brother.......

• Like 1

I will obviously be upgrading parts if/when they break, or when magpie syndrome kicks in.

I will attempt to keep a log of what I get up to.

If you've not seen this, it's a great bit of filming! The way it continually lifts its front off-side paw, as if it's asking for a treat, is just hilarious!

Really starting to want!

• Like 1

Thoughts on this "torque lift" off the front off-side wheel;

I'm a huge fan of the centre Diff, tuned right they allow a car or (in my case) Monster Truck to accelerate very hard and fast without wheelies or squirreling/squirming off the line. You can still pop wheelies and pull backflips, but when it comes to straight line acceleration, the CD allows you to keep up with or beat the Truggys.

What a CD won't do is let you crawl, as soon as you beach anything with a CD, you're stuck! Front or rear axle spinning wildly, but going nowhere.

Now if we look at the Yeti XL, despite not having a CD, it can sprint off the line with the best of them because of that front right wheel that's reaching for the sky! By doing this, it's essentially acting like a CD and allowing excess power to be spun away and therefore keeping the car going in a straight line. Kinda clever if you think about it, even if it wasn't deliberate!

Just something that popped into my head.

Really starting to like the look of this.

Any thoughts on what I've concluded?

Thanks for sharing the vid. That's much harder bashing than I would ever put it through, and it kind of came out okay. Open diffs and torquey unsensored motor means this is not a crawler by any means.

That torque twist is strange though and I see what you mean about it acting like a CD. I'd rather it did have the CD to help even out the power distribution.

Imagine a YETI XL with Summit style locking diffs front and back and a 2 speed gearbox. That would be cool.

• Like 1

I really like the look of these, and they are looking pretty tough, but that torque twisting would get right on my tits.

But fitting a CD would stop it from being what it's supposed to be, a rock racer. It would lose its ability to crawl, even I wouldn't like that! If they followed Traxxas' lead and made the CD remotely lockable, that'd be great.

The torque twist we're seeing here is on 6s only? Perhaps running 4s or 5s would keep this down to sensible levels?

Size is king, always! Especially if the drivetrain has been engineered to handle it, unlike any of the Traxxas big rigs.

But to engineer it out would affect other aspects, if you fit anti-sway/roll bars, then the crawling ability is going to be reduced. It would hinder the suspension articulation that is all part of what makes it what it is.

I say leave it as it is and give me one to put through Tugs trials! ;)

• Like 1

So i've read it is less on 4S, and people have tried changing shock oils to help settle the front down a bit.

You'd need to change to a transverse motor mount and redesign the gearbox completely to engineer out the torque twist.

Given it ships with open diffs, the option of a CD would be really nice, even if you had to manually lock it for crawling.

Also if the 6S setup is anything like the Mamba monster setups I've owned, the low speed power modulation is pants. I imagine you'd end up pointing it at some rock and just gunning the throttle (not to say this wouldn;t be fun mind!)

I love the looks of this thing, but it has got a bit of an identity crisis going on!!!

I suppose manually locking a CD would be reasonable, as long as no tools are required!

A two speed conversion is available as an option, that should mean that even a sensorless system would be OK for low speed operation?

• 4 weeks later...